Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping Dobbs and Cousins???
Quote: @Montana Tom said:
It's really too early to call that one.  The Josh Dobbs sample size in Minnesota is only 1 3/4 games.  The national story is a great one. I'd love to have this conversation at the end of February, when we have a bigger sample size to evaluate.  There's also the Cousins recovery progress to evaluate.  

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Dobbs takes us deep into the playoffs this season.  The narrative and writing on the wall would change significantly.  Rather than paying Cousins $40mm/year and hoping for a crapshoot in the draft, what if we could re-sign Dobbs for say $20-25mm/year, and apply difference to the rest of the roster?   Wouldn't that give us more flexibility to re-sign some of our studs?

If (and I admit that it is a huge IF), Dobbs doesn't have the anticipated meltdown the rest of this season, what would you rather have?  A 29 year old starter who was given a real chance with a solid NFL team and proved himself?  Or a lower first to third round college QB crapshoot taken in the draft?  Or a 36 year old QB who regardless of performance, is nearing the end of his shelf life.

I'm a Kirk fan, but looking at Dobbs' mobility has me realizing Cousins' limitations.  I'm trying to be objective here, and frankly, Kwesi not extending Cousins in the off-season may prove to be a strategically wise move.  The rest of the story has not been written yet.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well, Tom.  I think we'll know if Dobbs is for real or not by the end of the season.  There's plenty of time to get this figured out, but it's awesome that we don't feel like the season is a total loss now that Kirk is out.  Dobbs may bomb out the rest of the way, and Hall will be inserted; who knows?  I do think if the Vikes let Kirk walk, it's because they're very comfortable with his replacement.  No way does KOC go into next season without a decent starting QB.

yeah...no.  Sorry you cant commit to Kirk that way.  He was willing to play for 40 million if they did a deal prior to this year IIRC,  why would he get the same money now that he is injured and a year older?  If somebody wants to pay him that,  fine,  let him go with best wishes,  but no way I do it for that without escalators that get him to that level,  as well as scrapping the guaranteed money and any other handcuff things agents like to put in.

Quote: @Greylock said:
A 3 year deal for a quarterback in his late 30's coming off an achilles injury and 80 million guaranteed sounds like they better think twice about that.  Kirk may come back and be just like he was never injured but it could also be that at his age and the hits he has taken, this last injury may just be the start of his decline.  If he does come back healthy this injury may make him give up on plays in the pocket instead of standing in the there and taking hits.
There is a 6% chance he will rupture the other achilles. While 6% may seem like a small probability, it is significantly higher than someone who has not suffered an achilles rupture.
Bare in mind this comes from a study with a relatively small sample size.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14723785...0as%20well.

That’s the most improbable take possible.  We weren’t going to commit to Cousins for 3 years
a handful of months ago, and then he got injured.  And $40M, I don’t think was really on the
table at all.  Seeing Cousins get unquestionable
starter money for at least 2 years, and having started all season, why would
Dobbs resign with us as a backup?  I
think the only 2 scenarios where this happens is if Dobbs gets a season ending
injury that lasts until mid next year or he turns into a pumpkin and is bad
enough that no amount of cost difference between him and Cousins is worth it.  If Dobbs is performing at an NFL starting QB
level, and is willing to take $20M per year for 2 years, I don’t think there’s
much Cousins can do about the situation. 
I just can’t see a scenario where Dobbs and the Vikings hold steady, get
to the playoffs and isn’t rewarded with a Keenum/Bridgewater 2018 level contract
by some team.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
...and any other handcuff things agents like to put in.
Could be interesting since Cousins and Dobbs share the same agent.

Quote: @DeepFreeze05 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
...and any other handcuff things agents like to put in.
Could be interesting since Cousins and Dobbs share the same agent.
excellent point!