Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings see what their Offense could look like...
Vikings Insider: With Kirk Cousins out for the season and Joshua Dobbs taking over the offense, his running skills are showing the potential for how the Vikings could look with a quarterback who is a threat to run.

How the Vikings incorporate Dobbs' mobility into their offense is a multifaceted question, one that involves keeping their newfound starter healthy while maintaining their commitment to runs and passes that stress defenses by how similar they look at the snap.
"You don't want those plays to just kind of stand out on their own," O'Connell said. "You want to marry them up and have some different phases of running and pass that give you a chance to build from there."
When Dobbs' mobility helps him make something out of nothing, though, the Vikings don't seem inclined to throttle it.
"I think it's a balance when we have two quarterbacks, one of which [Sean Mannion] is a practice squad elevation, up for the game," O'Connell said. "But we've got to be smart with them, too, because those natural plays are also going to happen where he does create off-schedule or steal us a first down or two or three."
The weeks to come are where things could get particularly interesting.
Justin Jefferson is in the second week of a 21-day practice window before the Vikings have to make a decision about activating him from injured reserve. If defenses are trying to roll coverage toward the receiver while accounting for Dobbs' mobility, as the Saints did by using a linebacker as a spy, it could stress them in new ways, while defensive backs could spend more time covering Jefferson if Dobbs is able to extend plays.
O'Connell has spent time in systems that feature mobile quarterbacks, coaching Johnny Manziel in Cleveland and working in San Francisco with Chip Kelly during Colin Kaepernick's final season as the starter in 2016. He was Washington's QB coach in 2018 when the team acquired Alex Smith, who'd used some run-pass options and zone read concepts in Kansas City.
"I've been around it, and I do believe in definitely applying those things," O'Connell said. "I think there's a right time to do it."
The Vikings aren't as likely to import plays from Dobbs' past as they are to build new ideas for him.
"It's really not our philosophy to just see something on tape and copy it," O'Connell said.
They're also unlikely, at least during the season, to alter the foundation of a scheme the rest of their roster has practiced for months. At least in spots, though, they have room to make adaptations.
"It looks different to me, too, sometimes," O'Connell said. "I think that's OK. It's about what the players do best, coaching them and giving them plans to allow them to do that."
Many of the teams running the version of the West Coast offense handed down from Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak to Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay have emphasized timing and precision over mobility from their QBs. With Kirk Cousins as their quarterback, the Vikings built their offense around the veteran's command at the line of scrimmage and accuracy that allowed him to fit throws into tight windows even while getting hit.
"Kirk was playing as well as anybody in this league, really ripping apart coverage and attacking things and kind of running everything," O'Connell said Sunday. "Josh, in two [games], has kind of shown us what mobility, in addition to what we do offensively, can do for us in this tough time where we're trying to overcome the loss of a guy like Kirk."
Cousins led the league in passing yards when he tore his Achilles tendon on Oct. 29, and it appeared he might have been playing his way into the Vikings' future plans. That could still be true, particularly if he recovers from surgery and can agree on a contract with the Vikings.
But in light of what Dobbs' mobility has brought to the offense, it's worth thinking back to last spring, when O'Connell and General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah were sitting in the front rows of Lucas Oil Stadium watching Anthony Richardson's workout at the NFL combine. They left Indianapolis impressed with the Florida quarterback's electric performance, and though the draft's top three quarterbacks (Alabama's Bryce Young, Ohio State's C.J. Stroud and Richardson) were taken in the first four picks, the Vikings were believed to be exploring a move up to the top of the draft if one of the passers became available.
Cousins, if he returns, won't become a dynamic runner at age 35. The Vikings wouldn't expect him to be. But if they do have another QB next season, it would be shortsighted to assume their next one would have to fit the same mold.
They created space in their offense Sunday for new plays that fit Dobbs' strengths. In the next few weeks, they could do it even more.
"I thought it was a pretty outstanding day from Josh," O'Connell said. "And the best thing about it is we're all still getting to know each other and getting the comfort level where we can continue to apply layers to this thing to be the most successful we can be on offense."
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-quarterback-josh-dobbs-kirk-cousins-kevin-oconnell/600319396/

It'll be interesting to watch how someone as capable as KOC works with what Dobbs can do. He just may be able to get more out of him than those before him. 

Dobbs has lots of toys here - more than his other stops around the league. 

ITs possible the fat lady doesnt sing and he just gets better and better in MN..

I said this at the end of last year and most of the year before Kirk's injury: there is 0% doubt KOC would love a more mobile QB. I know he loves Kirko for all the great things he does, but true mobility is such an added weapon/skill at QB. Whatever QBOTF they get, guaranteed this kid will be able to run. MB mentioned it in another thread and I completely agree: I think the odds have gone down that Kirk resigns with the Vikings after seeing what mobility at QB does for his (KOC's) offense. D-lineman are more talented and athletic then ever in NFL history. 

Not saying Cousins doesn't get resigned. I'm saying its no lock anymore. Its why a guy like JJ McCarthy would rock in the Viking's offense: super athletic yet a pretty accurate pocket passer. 

From my perspective of KAM for almost two years, I would say Cousins has already played his last game as a Viking. Perhaps a team needing a QB next season will do something stupid like sign Cousins instead of drafting one, leaving one more option for us.

Quote: @"FLVike" said:
From my perspective of KAM for almost two years, I would say Cousins has already played his last game as a Viking. Perhaps a team needing a QB next season will do something stupid like sign Cousins instead of drafting one, leaving one more option for us.
I agree.  Between the injury, age, cost, what the team looks like with mobility at the position, and the need to move towards the future, I don't see Kirk coming back.

Quote: @"FLVike" said:
Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"FLVike" said:
I agree.  Between the injury, age, cost, what the team looks like with mobility at the position, and the need to move towards the future, I don't see Kirk coming back.
ITs the $1mm question heading into the off-season...

23 going into 24 is going to be pivotal for the franchise no doubt.  

I'll focus on enjoying (hopefully) the rest of this year, but next year?  Worthy of a popcorn emoji.