Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What 'Quarterback' tells us about Cousins's future

I cant argue with the premise, its a cold hearted League. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Cousins has taken a ton of abuse....and at some point soon, either mentally or physically, he'll have had enough. He's made plenty of money and he's 35 years old next month. Its not out of the range of possibility that if the Vikings are mediocre or worse this season, he might just say fuck it and retire. Obviously, getting on with a very good team like the 49ers could be appealing to him next year, but it would be a ton of work. 

This isn't Tom Brady who rarely gets touched for basically the majority of his career. Everyone is like, 'Wow, he's a physical marvel!'....sure, but how about the fact he's rarely been not only sacked but hardly ever hit. Matt Ryan just turned 38 but he looks washed and old to me. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Cousins has taken a ton of abuse....and at some point soon, either mentally or physically, he'll have had enough. He's made plenty of money and he's 35 years old next month. Its not out of the range of possibility that if the Vikings are mediocre or worse this season, he might just say fuck it and retire. Obviously, getting on with a very good team like the 49ers could be appealing to him next year, but it would be a ton of work. 

This isn't Tom Brady who rarely gets touched for basically the majority of his career. Everyone is like, 'Wow, he's a physical marvel!'....sure, but how about the fact he's rarely been not only sacked but hardly ever hit. Matt Ryan just turned 38 but he looks washed and old to me. 
I've been saying it for a year or so,  I dont see Kirk as the type of player that cant let go, that doesnt weigh the long term affects of the game ( both physical for himself,  but it has to be a challenge to be at that level and have a family)  against the desire to compete.  He just seems to be to calculating to me to drag it out.  Some can still play at a decent level,  but would have been better off walking away sooner,  I think Rogers and Brees will both fit that mold,  as well as Brady when you figure it cost him his marriage,  but who knows how solid that really was to begin with.

I think age 40 is probably the farthest he would go, but
every year before that will be a tough decision.  He’s probably guaranteed to make $35M every
year he plays until his arm falls off, and even after that Matt Ryan’s still
making $20M.  Like how much pain would
you tolerate for 5-6 months for an extra $35M? 
Especially if you haven’t really received something that would be a lifelong
type of injury.  At some point you’ve
stacked away enough money, but it’s still enough to be a hard choice. 

Quote: @"medaille" said:
I think age 40 is probably the farthest he would go, but
every year before that will be a tough decision.  He’s probably guaranteed to make $35M every
year he plays until his arm falls off, and even after that Matt Ryan’s still
making $20M.  Like how much pain would
you tolerate for 5-6 months for an extra $35M? 
Especially if you haven’t really received something that would be a lifelong
type of injury.  At some point you’ve
stacked away enough money, but it’s still enough to be a hard choice. 
he could take the money has already made in the nfl,  invest in something that generates 4%,  and have nearly 10 million a year income without every touching the principle.... for a guy that was rolling in a 20 year old conversion van up until last year... I would say the choice shouldnt be that hard.