Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Roster Rankings
ESPN just came out with another interesting article ranking the strength of each teams overall rosters. The Vikings were ranked as the 16th best roster. Interestingly enough the Lions, who many consider the team to beat in the division, came in ranked 17th. It would be interesting to see how much a potential Hunter trade would effect our ranking. Here's their take on the Vikings...

16. Minnesota Vikings 

Strongest unit: Offensive tackle. Minnesota has spent a ton of draft capital on the O-line in recent years, and it's starting to pay off. LT Christian Darrisaw enjoyed a breakout 2022 season, and only Trent Williams had the highest PFF grade among tackles. RT Brian O'Neill checked in ninth over at PFF, and his 94.7% pass block win rate was third among tackles last season. -- Clay
Weakest unit: Cornerback. Patrick PetersonChandon SullivanCameron Dantzler and Duke Shelley were Minnesota's top four corners in 2022 snaps, and none are on the 2023 roster. Byron Murphy Jr. was a quality replacement for Peterson atop the depth chart, but the rest of the room is unproven, with a combined 297 NFL snaps. Recent Day 2 and 3 draft picks Akayleb EvansAndrew Booth Jr. and Mekhi Blackmon are ticketed for massive roles this season. -- Clay
X factor for 2023: CBs Akayleb Evans and Andrew Booth Jr.. I'm echoing Mike here, but that pair of young, unproven corners are the clear leverage point for this team. If they struggle, the defense will too. If they succeed, the Vikings will suddenly be a team with solid pass-rush and coverage abilities. -- Walder

Nonstarter to know: RB DeWayne McBride. The rookie seventh-round pick led the FBS in rushing yards per game and was fifth in rushing yards after contact last season. While Alexander Mattison is the new starter, he a recorded negative-42 rush yards over expectation last season according to NFL Next Gen Stats, so don't be stunned if McBride gets a look. -- Walder

Agree with the strength, disagree with the weakness. I like our corners. They're all super young, but there's good upside there. I think our weakest unit is inside pass rush. Call me crazy, but I just can't get excited about Dean Lowry. Hopefully, Jaq Roy can offer some help there. 

Nobody talks about Ty Chandler. I think he's the wildcard in our backfield. I have a hunch he'll become this year's Moe Williams or Leroy Hoard...the backup many fans think should be starting. 

I remember last year being curious as a fan as to what Chandler could bring to the team...McBride is the one I may actually watch a pre-season game for. 

LeRoy Hoard;
If you need 3 yds? He'll get yah 4
You need 5 yards? He'll get yah 4

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I remember last year being curious as a fan as to what Chandler could bring to the team...McBride is the one I may actually watch a pre-season game for. 

LeRoy Hoard;
Lol I remember that analogy on Hoard from back in the day. Him and Moe Williams both. 

But yeah I thought Chandler looked really good last pre season. I think out of the backs we have he's probably the most explosive. He's not Dalvin Cook but he's the candidate most capable of emulating his skill set. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Agree with the strength, disagree with the weakness. I like our corners. They're all super young, but there's good upside there. I think our weakest unit is inside pass rush. Call me crazy, but I just can't get excited about Dean Lowry. Hopefully, Jaq Roy can offer some help there. 

Nobody talks about Ty Chandler. I think he's the wildcard in our backfield. I have a hunch he'll become this year's Moe Williams or Leroy Hoard...the backup many fans think should be starting. 
Lowry isn't exciting but he's a lunch pail guy.  Does his job and doesn't make many mistakes.  I'm really curious to see who becomes starters with the new scheme.  Pretty obvious Lowry was a Flores guy, but who will emerge at pass rusher?  Does Bynum keep his job or do Cine or Metellus take it?  Who besides Murphy is gonna start at CB?

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

LeRoy Hoard;
wasnt it if you need 3 he will get you 3,  if you need 5,  he will get you 3?  either way,  Hoard, Latavius Murray,  they arent flashy, but if you want an Offense that can be unpredictable,  you want that kind of RB,  they dont get caught behind the LOS, they dont put you behind the chains if you run on first down,  they run behind their pads and they finish their runs forward.  I think AM can be that sort of player if he will buy into that role.  

as far as that stat about AM being -42 for rush yards over expectation,  how bad was Cook?  granted Cook had some damn big runs,  but he seemed to get caught for losses way more than any back I can remember in recent times too.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Lowry isn't exciting but he's a lunch pail guy.  Does his job and doesn't make many mistakes.  I'm really curious to see who becomes starters with the new scheme.  Pretty obvious Lowry was a Flores guy, but who will emerge at pass rusher?  Does Bynum keep his job or do Cine or Metellus take it?  Who besides Murphy is gonna start at CB?
There's a chance Lowry is effective in this defense. But when you look at the transitional positions--Peterson to Murphy, Thielen to Addison, Kendricks to Asamoah, Z to Davenport--there's legit reason to be optimistic, to believe we held serve or maybe even upgraded each one. Not so Dalvin Tomlinson to Lowry. To me that's a big downgrade at a position we can least afford one. 

I think the safeties are going to rotate so much it's not going to matter who starts. But I'm really hoping Cine emerges as a contributor at some point. His play style is perfect for a Flo D.

I'm probably alone in this, but I like Akayleb Evans as our CB1. Murphy CB2. And hopefully Booth pushes them both. 

@"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

There's a chance Lowry is effective in this defense. But when you look at the transitional positions--Peterson to Murphy, Thielen to Addison, Kendricks to Asamoah, Z to Davenport--there's legit reason to be optimistic, to believe we held serve or maybe even upgraded each one. Not so Dalvin Tomlinson to Lowry. To me that's a big downgrade at a position we can least afford one. 

I think the safeties are going to rotate so much it's not going to matter who starts. But I'm really hoping Cine emerges as a contributor at some point. His play style is perfect for a Flo D.

I'm probably alone in this, but I like Akayleb Evans as our CB1. Murphy CB2. And hopefully Booth pushes them both. 

Thing is you don't necessarily rely on your DEs for pass rush in a 3-4.  It'll be Hunter, Davenport, and Asamoah rushing/blitzing and guys like Lowry, Phillips, and Tonga eating up blockers.

Agree, I think our second year CBs have some promise.  We might be all right if Flores can elevate that unit with his scheme.

Peterson and Z were not consistent last year and so there is definitely promise we will upgrade there.  I really think the Murphy pick up was a solid under the radar move.  I think Thielen and Kendricks contributions to the team on and off the field are extremely underrated and do not think we will improve there.  Both Addison and Asamoah are undersized, I think Osborne and Nailor will be ahead of Addison when the season starts.  

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Peterson and Z were not consistent last year and so there is definitely promise we will upgrade there.  I really think the Murphy pick up was a solid under the radar move.  I think Thielen and Kendricks contributions to the team on and off the field are extremely underrated and do not think we will improve there.  Both Addison and Asamoah are undersized, I think Osborne and Nailor will be ahead of Addison when the season starts.  
Oh no doubt Thielen and Kendricks will be missed for their leadership and that Addison will have to earn his catches. 

Gotta hope someone else will step into those shoes and that youthful enthusiasm can carry the team at times (and not bury it situationally).