Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedy
The legend grew when Nailor traded the baseball diamond for the football field. He was playing Pop Warner for the Lancaster Jets, about an hour north of Los Angeles, and was among the smallest kids on the team. That might have been an issue except that nobody could catch him.
“He was the fastest kid out there,” his father Jay Nailor said. “That’s how he got the nickname Speedy.”
That moniker has stuck with the 24-year-old receiver ever since. And for good reason. He has relied on his speed at every stop of his football career so far, using it to dominate in high school with Bishop Gorman, put up big numbers in college with Michigan State, and make a name for himself in the NFL with the Vikings.
“I knew from a young age that I had speed, and I’ve always tried to use it,” Nailor said. “Just playing fast. That’s a big thing for me. That’s something I’m working on each and every day.”
As the Vikings prepare for mandatory minicamp next week at TCO Performance Center, Nailor has every right to be brimming with confidence. There’s no denying that he’s been a standout on the practice field during organized team activities this year. You could argue no player on the current roster has raised his stock more over the past month.
With star receiver Justin Jefferson missing the voluntary workouts, and rookie receiver Jordan Addison sitting out with a minor injury, Nailor has been getting a lot of reps with the starters. He has made the most of it, separating himself, literally and figuratively, and more importantly, building some chemistry with quarterback Kirk Cousins in the process.
“I feel like I’m getting more comfortable in the offense,” Nailor said. “Just knowing where to line up and knowing the play calls.”
He spent most of his rookie year last fall biding his time in practice until he got his chance in a game. It finally came in Week 17 with the Vikings getting blown out by the Green Bay Packers on New Year’s Day.
Though most fans had tuned out by late in the game, Nailor flashed his potential in an instant, using his speed to get loose for a 47-yard touchdown reception. He followed up that splash play with a solid performance in Week 18 with the Vikings resting most of their starters against the Chicago Bears.
“You look at his career as a whole and every year he gets better,” Sanchez said. “I think he’s going to be a guy that peaks in the NFL because of that.”
That continued growth from Nailor has been evident from Year 1 to Year 2. Asked about his development following organized team activities, offensive coordinator Wes Phillips said the Vikings recently put together install tapes to teach some of the basics of the offense. He noted that Nailor was a star in many of those clips.
“He just shows up a lot as far as doing the right thing, being where he’s supposed to be, and having the athletic ability to make the play,” Phillips said. “I’m really pleased with where he’s at.”
https://www.twincities.com/2023/06/09/vikings-receiver-jalen-nailor-aka-speedy-on-fast-track-to-more-playing-time/

The one good thing about JJ missing time is that it gives Nailor a chance to harden his skills with the starters. That could pay off later in the year.