Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youtube TV and Sunday Ticket
Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I had all sorts of issues, glitches, and just not great quality trying to watch the Thursday night games last year. I'm not thrilled at all about all this streaming crap...and now a playoff game!? The NFL is drunk 
Sounds like you have a crappy ISP.  I've been a cord cutter for over 5 years now, and couldn't be happier.  I do admit launching streaming apps is slower than cable or satellite, but all the programming and DVR services are available with a fraction of the cost. 

I love the Roku OS for navigating the different apps way more than the clunky old cable box.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
I had all sorts of issues, glitches, and just not great quality trying to watch the Thursday night games last year. I'm not thrilled at all about all this streaming crap...and now a playoff game!? The NFL is drunk 
Sounds like you have a crappy ISP.  I've been a cord cutter for over 5 years now, and couldn't be happier.  I do admit launching streaming apps is slower than cable or satellite, but all the programming and DVR services are available with a fraction of the cost. 

I love the Roku OS for navigating the different apps way more than the clunky old cable box.
Yeah, I don't get the fuss. Streaming is the future. Hell, streaming is the now. I remember being skeptical about streaming music. You mean I don't OWN any of these songs? Where's my collection? And I can't even burn them to a CD? How do I make my girlfriend a mixtape? Umm...you won't need to. Wha???

I signed up for Sunday Ticket not too long ago. I'm not too thrilled with the $450 price tag for future seasons, but being out of state I'm kind of left with no choice.

Those who have YouTube TV, would you say it's a worthwhile purchase and a good replacement for cable? Are there local channels?

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
I signed up for Sunday Ticket not too long ago. I'm not too thrilled with the $450 price tag for future seasons, but being out of state I'm kind of left with no choice.

Those who have YouTube TV, would you say it's a worthwhile purchase and a good replacement for cable? Are there local channels?
I'm a cable sub that switched over to youtube.tv two years ago.  We love the all the sports and wide selection of channels.  Yes, locals are included.  The only problems we have experienced were issues with our ISP running an older system.  We will be switching to fiber this summer when it finally becomes available to our part of town.  A big plus is the lower price for the ticket (also an out of state fan)

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

I'm a cable sub that switched over to youtube.tv two years ago.  We love the all the sports and wide selection of channels.  Yes, locals are included.  The only problems we have experienced were issues with our ISP running an older system.  We will be switching to fiber this summer when it finally becomes available to our part of town.  A big plus is the lower price for the ticket (also an out of state fan)
Thanks, ID. How much did you save vs having cable? I'm figuring with potential add on channels (like HBO and others) that it would run about the same amount.

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

Thanks, ID. How much did you save vs having cable? I'm figuring with potential add on channels (like HBO and others) that it would run about the same amount.
We saved approximately $60/month by dropping fees for 2 dvrs ($15 each), cable company fees for enhanced sports channels ($15), and lower cost package (data plus YT base fees were $15 less than cable base fees).  We have plenty to watch without purchasing movie channels.  Oh, the no limit dvr is such a huge plus, no need to manage the dvr (delete saved stuff to record more).  YT drops the title from your list after 9 months.  A great decision for us to make the switch!

We have not purchased NFL ticket in the past since did not want to switch to Directv.  We're going to use some of our savings to pay for the ticket this year, woohoo!  

Each situation is a bit different though based on programming interests, data usage and data speed.  We're retired and primarily use data for streaming TV and web surfing.  We get by nicely on a data package with 300 Mbps download speed and 800 GB of data.  We're close to max data use during football season but plenty of room during the other months. 

You will use a lot more data if you watch 4K streams versus 1080p streams.  We have two 4k tvs but mostly watch 1080p streams (looks marvelous on a 4k tv).  Yes, we can tell the difference between 4k and 1080 but don't feel it adds enough joy to increase data use for conventional tv programming.  JMO.

Good luck PC!

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

We saved approximately $60/month by dropping fees for 2 dvrs ($15 each), cable company fees for enhanced sports channels ($15), and lower cost package (data plus YT base fees were $15 less than cable base fees).  We have plenty to watch without purchasing movie channels.  Oh, the no limit dvr is such a huge plus, no need to manage the dvr (delete saved stuff to record more).  YT drops the title from your list after 9 months.  A great decision for us to make the switch!

We have not purchased NFL ticket in the past since did not want to switch to Directv.  We're going to use some of our savings to pay for the ticket this year, woohoo!  

Each situation is a bit different though based on programming interests, data usage and data speed.  We're retired and primarily use data for streaming TV and web surfing.  We get by nicely on a data package with 300 Mbps download speed and 800 GB of data.  We're close to max data use during football season but plenty of room during the other months. 

You will use a lot more data if you watch 4K streams versus 1080p streams.  We have two 4k tvs but mostly watch 1080p streams (looks marvelous on a 4k tv).  Yes, we can tell the difference between 4k and 1080 but don't feel it adds enough joy to increase data use for conventional tv programming.  JMO.

Good luck PC!
Appreciate it!