Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schedule changes for this season
Quote: @comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Oh for dumb.  I find myself caring less each year for the NFL product as a whole.   I still watch the Vikings games,  but due to shit announcers, shitty game times,  and other matters,  I just am not as engaged as I once was,  and these changes will do nothing to address that.
I care less now as well, but its mostly because of getting older, more mature (maybe) and just having more perspective on not putting so much emotional energy into the NFL like I did 20+ years ago. As I've mentioned, I'm very fair weather now. I'll turn off a shitty Viking's game and watch Redzone Channel in a nano-second. Some of that is also due to being a jaded, long-suffering fan of the Vikings: its taken a toll. 

Also the realization that you and I aren't the NFL's target demo any longer. They don't cater to us and really don't give a shit about older fans. But that can be said for all professional sports. You age out of it as far as marketing and rules changes go. You're 55+ years old and don't like something the league is doing for the NFL? Yawn. They don't care (although I think you are younger than that, jimmy, if I remember right?).

Regardless, I enjoy the Redzone Channel a ton. Its better for my attention span. But I have the gotten the NFL Sunday Ticket on YouTube TV, so I'll be watching them.
I wonder if they know who their target market even is anymore. 
The ratings and revenue are going like gangbusters.  Unless that changes they will keep on the current course.  
but they arent staying the course,  they are fucking with the recipe,  and while I admit I am not likely the target market and represent a tiny minority of nfl fans, there are lots of small segments and the more changes they make,  the more they are apt to alienating a large segment of their fan base.  I used to go along with the argument that they have teams of marketing professionals that review all this kind of shit before they jump,  but I am sure AB had scores of marketing pros that greenlighted their debacle.

With their rich eyes and rich executives all around them there is one simple thing they cannot see that would increase profits for one season by 100 million. To actually see it they would have to lower themselves by listening to an average working class person.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Oh for dumb.  I find myself caring less each year for the NFL product as a whole.   I still watch the Vikings games,  but due to shit announcers, shitty game times,  and other matters,  I just am not as engaged as I once was,  and these changes will do nothing to address that.
I care less now as well, but its mostly because of getting older, more mature (maybe) and just having more perspective on not putting so much emotional energy into the NFL like I did 20+ years ago. As I've mentioned, I'm very fair weather now. I'll turn off a shitty Viking's game and watch Redzone Channel in a nano-second. Some of that is also due to being a jaded, long-suffering fan of the Vikings: its taken a toll. 

Also the realization that you and I aren't the NFL's target demo any longer. They don't cater to us and really don't give a shit about older fans. But that can be said for all professional sports. You age out of it as far as marketing and rules changes go. You're 55+ years old and don't like something the league is doing for the NFL? Yawn. They don't care (although I think you are younger than that, jimmy, if I remember right?).

Regardless, I enjoy the Redzone Channel a ton. Its better for my attention span. But I have the gotten the NFL Sunday Ticket on YouTube TV, so I'll be watching them.
The ratings and revenue are going like gangbusters.  Unless that changes they will keep on the current course.  
but they arent staying the course,  they are fucking with the recipe,  and while I admit I am not likely the target market and represent a tiny minority of nfl fans, there are lots of small segments and the more changes they make,  the more they are apt to alienating a large segment of their fan base.  I used to go along with the argument that they have teams of marketing professionals that review all this kind of shit before they jump,  but I am sure AB had scores of marketing pros that greenlighted their debacle.
Well, I kinda meant that the "course" was in fact what you refer to as "fucking with the recipe".  Because it hasn't hurt them so far.

@JimmyinSD said:
@comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Well, I kinda meant that the "course" was in fact what you refer to as "fucking with the recipe".  Because it hasn't hurt them so far.
thats the funny thing about bad business decisions,  sometimes you dont know that you are dying until its to late to correct it.

Quote: @FLVike said:
With their rich eyes and rich executives all around them there is one simple thing they cannot see that would increase profits for one season by 100 million. To actually see it they would have to lower themselves by listening to an average working class person.
I realize some of these franchises are family heirlooms but a lot of them are not. The old guys want cash now, not when they're dead.
The NFL is far and away my favorite tv show so I hope it's around for a long time. I do agree they are expanding extremely fast (an entire London division?!) which has risks. Not really sure how it'll play out.
I do wish the NFL Draft was still weekend-only. That's one change I still hate.

@JimmyinSD said:
@comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

It hasn't hurt them precisely because they don't pay attention to what you or me or any other individual thinks. They pay attention to the numbers that tell them that while Jethro in Jersey may not like Thursday games, there are millions of other Americans tuning in. To think a business should behave any other way is pretty silly. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

It hasn't hurt them precisely because they don't pay attention to what you or me or any other individual thinks. They pay attention to the numbers that tell them that while Jethro in Jersey may not like Thursday games, there are millions of other Americans tuning in. To think a business should behave any other way is pretty silly. 
This. Raging against the machine because you don't like Thursday or Saturday games is so this to me:

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

They know exactly who their core consumer, dont kid yourselves. They just happen to halo out to many households with those gargantuan ratings. 

I mean the Vikings get 70, 80, 90% local ratings when they're on. 

The game will continue to evolve over time and will continue to prioritize scoring and player safety. 

There is only so much legislation that can pass to keep a violent game violent, but I suspect what people will be watching a decade from now will be a different product than what we tune into today. 

Certainly different from the 90's, 2000's let along the stuff I watched in the 70's.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
They know exactly who their core consumer, dont kid yourselves. They just happen to halo out to many households with those gargantuan ratings. 

I mean the Vikings get 70, 80, 90% local ratings when they're on. 

The game will continue to evolve over time and will continue to prioritize scoring and player safety. 

There is only so much legislation that can pass to keep a violent game violent, but I suspect what people will be watching a decade from now will be a different product than what we tune into today. 

Certainly different from the 90's, 2000's let along the stuff I watched in the 70's.
Right. And the reason it evolves and continues to break revenue records is precisely because it does what so many hate; it changes; it "fucks with the recipe." Businesses who don't, who don't evolve, experiment and try new products and strategies, are doomed to failure. 

I think the draft is a good example. I LOVED weekend drafts and HATED when they went to prime time. I mean I still hate it with a passion compared to what it was. 

But it's now become an event for more than just draftniks like me. Casual fans now pay attention, it's on in the bars, and so the audience they pull is 10, 20 times what it used to be. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

This. Raging against the machine because you don't like Thursday or Saturday games is so this to me:

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
That cloud fucked with the recipe and had it coming!   :p