Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs and Saints tried to move up to our spot
Obviously not a good enough offer to move down.  
The Chiefs were trying to come up for a WROne rumor from late Thursday night could be an indication of what position a team might try and address tonight.
According to Darren Wolfson, who covers the Minnesota Vikings, both the Kansas City Chiefs and the New Orleans Saints tried to engineer a trade with the Vikings, when Minnesota was on the clock at No. 23.
At least one of the teams was eying USC wide receiver Jordan Addison.
Quote:
Which team was eying Addison, who the Vikings eventually drafted themselves? According to this report from Saints Wire, it was likely the Chiefs. Which makes sense, as Kansas City was linked with a few different receivers throughout the pre-draft process, and Patrick Mahomes worked out with Boston College receiver Zay Flowers just prior to the draft.
Could this signal that the Chiefs are in play for a WR? Well, it does to me, as I have them adding Tennessee wide receiver Jalin Hyatt to close out the second round.

I think the Vikings were comfortable with a few of that group of receivers that led up to Allison.  I'm guessing if there hadn't been a mini run of WRs leading up to #23, they would have traded back and tried to get Addison or at least one of the others as well as some draft capital.   Didn't happen so they pulled the trigger.

I am guessing other teams thought they could get a good deal from the Vikes because of the Vikings draft day trades last year.  Probably lowballed Kwesi.  

I'm still curious what was offered and ultimately rejected for Addison. I guess we will never know. Kwesi was on the phone in the War Room when our time was coming to end so maybe they wanted over payment to pass on taking the guy they really wanted all along. Addison was one of their Top 30 visits. There were some great defensive players on the board at 23. KOC seemed really excited they got Addison without having to move up. I think a lot of us thought the Receivers were going to go much earlier than they did. Banks, Mazi Smith, Myles Murphy, Bresee, Nolan Smith, and Anudeke-Uzomah all were drafted after we took Addison. Any one of those picks could have come in and been high impact Defensive players. 

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I am guessing other teams thought they could get a good deal from the Vikes because of the Vikings draft day trades last year.  Probably lowballed Kwesi.  
Or maybe Kwesi thought trading will those teams will mean risking getting the player he wanted.
In anycase if Kwesi rejected the low ball offer as you stated is that a bad thing?

Quote: @mblack said:
@VikingOracle said:
Or maybe Kwesi thought trading will those teams will mean risking getting the player he wanted.
In anycase if Kwesi rejected the low ball offer as you stated is that a bad thing?
The problem is if Kwesi gets a reputation that he can be taken.  I don't doubt he is getting calls; I also don't doubt that the other side is offering less to start than they would a more seasoned GM.  Good for him to turn down the trade offers; might change the narrative around him as a poor draft day trader.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@mblack said:
@VikingOracle said:
The problem is if Kwesi gets a reputation that he can be taken.  I don't doubt he is getting calls; I also don't doubt that the other side is offering less to start than they would a more seasoned GM.  Good for him to turn down the trade offers; might change the narrative around him as a poor draft day trader.
He has to start somewhere. He has to build a reputation that he can do a deal. That does not mean nor am I saying he has to be a push over (not saying he is either).
Example, he thinks his trade during the draft last year is what enabled us get TJ. Maybe it was or wasnt but thats how he sees it.
So lets give him a chance.

Quote: @mblack said:
@VikingOracle said:
It sounds like both the Saints and the Chiefs wanted Addison. I suspect we were open to that for a big time offer (there's always the next guy on the board). But the offers weren't enough for us to move off Addison. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
@VikingOracle said:
It sounds like both the Saints and the Chiefs wanted Addison. I suspect we were open to that for a big time offer (there's always the next guy on the board). But the offers weren't enough for us to move off Addison. 
The Chiefs wanted Addison as their pick is what I read. 

Addison is nothing special.

Shit show