• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of Tucker Carlson....
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@IDVikingfan said:
We may never know the real story.  I read an article where apparently today's show was in preparation and the lead story was going to be about the Dominion case.  The head of Fox News axed the story and today's show.  Was Carlson fired or did he quit?  Who knows, probably a NDA signed as you suggested.

The sexual discrimination (harassment?) is a new allegation.  May or may not be true.  We'll find out more if it progresses to court or a plea deal.  Innocent until proven guilty, always the best way to look at allegations, IMO...
It's not hard to figure out.  His contract was coming up.  Rupert handed over control to his bleeding heart liberal son, and libs promote politics over free speech.  It may not be all linear, but that's essentially what's going on.  Also, rumors of a potential sale.  
I think its likely also got to do with him becoming the tail that wags the dog and he was getting more extreme than the bulk of the conservative party which is where the advertising wants to pay to reach.  The far right 10% dont pay the bills.  I think that's also likely a big reason lemon was squeezed at cnn,  he played to such a small part of their audience that advertisers were likely not overly interested in buying ad time. 
Much more than 10%.  Don’t kid yourself, you won’t view Fox as rightward leaning in five years is my guess.  This has been in the cards for the last five years.  
the bulk republicans are not far right Tucker Carlson viewers, despite what CNN and MSNBC tells their viewers,  just as the bulk of the democrats are not far left Don Lemon viewers,  even though the fringe may be running the media outlets for the parties they are pandering to,  the voters are still more moderately leaning and are actually turned off by the fringe elements of their respective parties,  maybe not as much as they are disgusted by the opposing fringe, but the moderates are a much bigger part of both parties,  with the extreme moderates of both parties being who actually decide the major elections in this country.
In spite of the fringe of both parties seemingly the mouthpieces these days, one thing holds true over time;

MOST Americans are not extreme
NO American wants their taxes raised

you get it, thats why you are my brother.  

I would however pay more in taxes,  if it was going along with a real debt reduction effort.  I am not talking about deficit reduction where they continue to spend more than they take in.  I am talking a balanced budget amendment to the constitution followed up with a 20 or 30 year plan to pay off that national debt.  If I am going to pay more,  I want it to go towards taking the burdon of previous generations off future generations.  this path we are on is not going to leave an America,  or honestly a world worth having,  and the blame for that lies on us.   its staggering the amount of debt we have added in the last 23 years.  sure we can say its because of 911 or because of covid,  but thats bull shit... its because voters of both parties got more fixated on the november wins than they are on doing whats best for the future of this country,  not just the party special interests that only funnel money to a select few Americans.  its sickening to think that we have neighbors that wont talk to each other over politics,  when they are both being robbed by the people that they elect to represent them.   I dont know what its going to take to reverse this trend, and maybe its to far gone to fix,  but if we dont start now,  by learning to trust and respect our neighbors before the politicians and the media that they use to snowball us... then whats the point?

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@IDVikingfan said:
We may never know the real story.  I read an article where apparently today's show was in preparation and the lead story was going to be about the Dominion case.  The head of Fox News axed the story and today's show.  Was Carlson fired or did he quit?  Who knows, probably a NDA signed as you suggested.

The sexual discrimination (harassment?) is a new allegation.  May or may not be true.  We'll find out more if it progresses to court or a plea deal.  Innocent until proven guilty, always the best way to look at allegations, IMO...
It's not hard to figure out.  His contract was coming up.  Rupert handed over control to his bleeding heart liberal son, and libs promote politics over free speech.  It may not be all linear, but that's essentially what's going on.  Also, rumors of a potential sale.  
I think its likely also got to do with him becoming the tail that wags the dog and he was getting more extreme than the bulk of the conservative party which is where the advertising wants to pay to reach.  The far right 10% dont pay the bills.  I think that's also likely a big reason lemon was squeezed at cnn,  he played to such a small part of their audience that advertisers were likely not overly interested in buying ad time. 
Much more than 10%.  Don’t kid yourself, you won’t view Fox as rightward leaning in five years is my guess.  This has been in the cards for the last five years.  
the bulk republicans are not far right Tucker Carlson viewers, despite what CNN and MSNBC tells their viewers,  just as the bulk of the democrats are not far left Don Lemon viewers,  even though the fringe may be running the media outlets for the parties they are pandering to,  the voters are still more moderately leaning and are actually turned off by the fringe elements of their respective parties,  maybe not as much as they are disgusted by the opposing fringe, but the moderates are a much bigger part of both parties,  with the extreme moderates of both parties being who actually decide the major elections in this country.
In spite of the fringe of both parties seemingly the mouthpieces these days, one thing holds true over time;

But some should have their taxes raised.  We need an Eisenhower plan if we want to be serious about building an economy that will last the 21st century.

1 million seconds = 11 days
1 billion seconds = 31 YEARS

Tax billionaires, there are over 400 of them in the US.  Support the Billionaires Minimum Income Tax

Quote: @Skodin said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@IDVikingfan said:

But some should have their taxes raised.  We need an Eisenhower plan if we want to be serious about building an economy that will last the 21st century.

Tax billionaires, there are over 400 of them in the US.  Support the Billionaires Minimum Income Tax
how about we cut spending along the way?  there is so much waste in government its pathetic.  if you target the wealthy 2 things will happen,  they will either buy more politicians to protect themselves and push the burden onto the middle class ( already being done )  or they will simply move their place of residence to somewhere that they dont have to pay taxes (or worse yet their companies and their jobs )

this notion that we can get the wealthy to pay for a utopian dream of a perfect society is a farce.  America is at its best when we expect and demand workforce participation out of everybody, with exceptions for only those who are extremely disabled, or are truly on hard times, and those are who need the government assistance.  I am all for things like unemployment and disability,  but lets set those bars higher,  just like tax deductions,  why the hell are there so many pages to our tax code?  why the hell does it take lawyers and accountants to do our personal taxes?  if we had half the effort to streamline the tax code as there is to create more loopholes then we wouldnt need to worry about who to raise taxes on.  There  is no perfect answer,  but the AOC idiocy of "tax the rich"  has never worked and never will, especially in todays society.

I came across this today,  kind of sums up my thoughts on our government and the average voter in our country.

[Image: tweet-sick-of-people-mad-half-ruling-cla...C345&ssl=1]

@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@IDVikingfan said:

saw this and it made me think of this thread,  well at least where this headed.

[Image: alyssa-milano-tax-the-rich-8-dollars-twi...C526&ssl=1]

I do believe that there should be minimum taxes,  deductions should only be able to go so far,  if you have so many deductions that your net income is zero.... then you shouldnt be in business IMO.  just like people that dont pay taxes,  shouldnt be able to get a refund of any type ( child tax credits or whatever else the gov't comes up with )  same goes for that covid money and really any govt programs that are designed to help out,  if you dont pay taxes you shouldnt receive help that comes from taxes,  except for established welfare programs.  I never understood how people that didnt lose their jobs due to covid lock downs,  some how ended up getting covid checks from uncle sam that were designed to help offset lost wages... what lost wages?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@IDVikingfan said:

how about we cut spending along the way?  there is so much waste in government its pathetic.  if you target the wealthy 2 things will happen,  they will either buy more politicians to protect themselves and push the burden onto the middle class ( already being done )  or they will simply move their place of residence to somewhere that they dont have to pay taxes (or worse yet their companies and their jobs )

this notion that we can get the wealthy to pay for a utopian dream of a perfect society is a farce.  America is at its best when we expect and demand workforce participation out of everybody, with exceptions for only those who are extremely disabled, or are truly on hard times, and those are who need the government assistance.  I am all for things like unemployment and disability,  but lets set those bars higher,  just like tax deductions,  why the hell are there so many pages to our tax code?  why the hell does it take lawyers and accountants to do our personal taxes?  if we had half the effort to streamline the tax code as there is to create more loopholes then we wouldnt need to worry about who to raise taxes on.  There  is no perfect answer,  but the AOC idiocy of "tax the rich"  has never worked and never will, especially in todays society.
why not do both at the same time?  Sounds like you have given up on a system that has created this complete but acceptable cluster fuck.  Why?  To protect billionaires?  I don't think people understand the level of power and depth of capital that individuals have right now, over the system, over us.  

I have spent a decade in global finance/governance, up and down Wall Street/PE firms, the amount of the money that exists between a few amount of people/groups is outstanding.  One of my clients owns a 8,000 acre wetland tract that he does nothing with, bought it distressed during the 07/08 crisis.  I just worked up a team of ecological providers to generate a $200M additional value in the form of wetland restoration/mitigation banking.  You would think he would be in a rush to capture this value, no.  We will get to it later in the year.  $200M didn't scratch the surface for him.  

Eisenhower raised taxes and forced the wealthy to invest that money back into companies.  Better than giving tax cuts for them to take money for stock buybacks.

No one is stating that taxing billionaires are going to solve all the problems but man, 50% of Americans are one missed paycheck away from a serious financial problem.  The system is broken.

When it comes to spending, why not cut this biggest form of corporate welfare there is, the US Military Complex

@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@IDVikingfan said:

Much more than 10%.  Don’t kid yourself, you won’t view Fox as rightward leaning in five years is my guess.  This has been in the cards for the last 

why not do both at the same time?  Sounds like you have given up on a system that has created this complete but acceptable cluster fuck.  Why?  To protect billionaires?  I don't think people understand the level of power and depth of capital that individuals have right now, over the system, over us.  

I have spent a decade in global finance/governance, up and down Wall Street/PE firms, the amount of the money that exists between a few amount of people/groups is outstanding.  One of my clients owns a 8,000 acre wetland tract that he does nothing with, bought it distressed during the 07/08 crisis.  I just worked up a team of ecological providers to generate a $200M additional value in the form of wetland restoration/mitigation banking.  You would think he would be in a rush to capture this value, no.  We will get to it later in the year.  $200M didn't scratch the surface for him.  

Eisenhower raised taxes and forced the wealthy to invest that money back into companies.  Better than giving tax cuts for them to take money for stock buybacks.

No one is stating that taxing billionaires are going to solve all the problems but man, 50% of Americans are one missed paycheck away from a serious financial problem.  The system is broken.

When it comes to spending, why not cut this biggest form of corporate welfare there is, the US Military Complex
Cutting the military in a time of global unrest is exactly what the enemies of this country want,  it could be argued that we are more ar risk now than at any time during the cold War.

Some people are struggling due to conditions beyond their control,  many are struggling because they are trying to live beyond their means,  I dont have much sympathy for those that exercise poor financial decisions,  and don't believe they should be bailed out anymore than I think banks that lend to high risk borrowers should be bailed out.  We are 15 years removed from the last major recession caused by people taking bad loans and we are right back there again only this time Brandon is doubling down on idiocy and putting a carrot out there for the higher credit risk people... beyond fucking stupid.

And no,  I didn't say anything about not taxing the billionaires,  but be honest,  those uber elite rich you talk about are the ones pulling the strings in DC,   you despised Trump for mocking the tax code,   but he told the truth,  Buffet has said the same thing,  they pay what they owe,  but they know they aren't paying their fair share,  but none of the rich are going to use their power to raise their own taxes anymore than the average American would vote to raise their own taxes.  As far as a presidebtial move like Ike,   different time,  different situation,  different world,  that would never fly again,  they make the statements to it every couple years,   but in the end it only raises taxes and costs of living on the working class.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Fox tries to thread the needle Between their ant-Trump agenda coupled with remaining a conservative voice in the media.  It feels like a disaster waiting to happen.