Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears Trade #1
Panthers could still move from #1 pick … Interesting development in Carolina where the Panthers indicated almost immediately after acquiring the #1 pick in the 2023 draft from Chicago that there was no guarantee that they would actually keep the pick. The Panthers are obviously expected to take a QB with the top pick, or whichever pick they actually end up making. However, it is possible that while Alabama’s Bryce Young has emerged as the consensus top prospect at the position, he’s not necessarily the guy the Panthers are targeting. Indeed, there are whispers out there already that the Panthers could actually be interested in Florida’s Anthony Richardson, while the local Carolina paper is speculating that they could be targeting Ohio State’s CJ Stroud. So, if a team like Houston, which picks second overall, were interested in Young, then the Panthers could consider flipping the first and second picks and still get the player they wanted. Stay tuned!!

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Panthers could still move from #1 pick … Interesting development in Carolina where the Panthers indicated almost immediately after acquiring the #1 pick in the 2023 draft from Chicago that there was no guarantee that they would actually keep the pick. The Panthers are obviously expected to take a QB with the top pick, or whichever pick they actually end up making. However, it is possible that while Alabama’s Bryce Young has emerged as the consensus top prospect at the position, he’s not necessarily the guy the Panthers are targeting. Indeed, there are whispers out there already that the Panthers could actually be interested in Florida’s Anthony Richardson, while the local Carolina paper is speculating that they could be targeting Ohio State’s CJ Stroud. So, if a team like Houston, which picks second overall, were interested in Young, then the Panthers could consider flipping the first and second picks and still get the player they wanted. Stay tuned!!
NO WAY!!!   Wink  they bought control.  They may indeed keep that pick,  but until its made there are always options.  

Pure stupid speculation, you write that Jimmy?  Lol
If the Texans wanted to get to #1 that bad they would have traded for it.  Panthers want the first QB.  It would be epically stupid to trade that much and your best young WR just to move back to #2 for a couple mid round picks.  The optics would be terrible.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
If the Texans wanted to get to #1 that bad they would have traded for it.  Panthers want the first QB.  It would be epically stupid to trade that much and your best young WR just to move back to #2 for a couple mid round picks.  The optics would be terrible.
Optics would be fine if they still get their guy and recoup some of their lost draft capital.

I suspect Stroud is their target. I’m doubtful of Richardson mostly because he isn’t ready and they need a guy good to go. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
Optics would be fine if they still get their guy and recoup some of their lost draft capital.
This isn't the movie Draft Day.  Teams move up to get a guy, not get the pick to put it up for sale for themselves.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
This isn't the movie Draft Day.  Teams move up to get a guy, not get the pick to put it up for sale for themselves.
You have no idea who they moved up for,  teams haven't seen pro days,  and there is about 5 or 6 weeks yet until the draft,  a lot can change in that time.  You really think they can't or won't change their mind between now and then?  There is no consensus number 1 QB this year,   they bought flexibility. 

Point is,  they likely know who they want,  but that could easily change before the draft.  Are they likely to trade that pick,  no,  but they have bought the flexibility to do whatever they want in draft.

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
If I had to bet money today on who Carolina is taking, my money would be on Anthony Richardson...as crazy as that may sound. They were talking on NFL radio this evening about who they might take and Reich has always had big, sturdy bodied QB's. Josh McCown is the new QB coach there. I would almost be more floored if they took Bryce Young with the top pick. What better spot for a guy to land who has been compared to Cam Newton, then in Carolina? I would take CJ Stroud, who I think is the bar none best QB in this draft, but the alure and upside of Richardson might be too much to resist. Carolina has done their homework on him and it's no coincidence immediately following the Combine and Richardson's performance that they make the move up to #1
That would be pretty ridiculous. From the 4th QB and borderline 2nd rounder due to extreme rawness to the #1 pick overall and ostensibly a day one starting QB in the NFL....due to some good numbers at the combine? Really hard to see. 

But ya know why the NFL keeps getting this shit wrong? For doing things like this. So you could be right. 
Happens every year as we both know. I can only see the pick being Stroud or Richardson, so we'll see...
I'm not sure why everyone's dismissing Bryce Young. I'd say he's the most likely. And then there was a well publicized report about how much their owner, David Tepper, is in love with Will Levis.

But who knows? Could be any of the 4. But I really can't imagine a team who needs an immediate starter taking a project like Richardson, especially when you consider it's somewhat likely he would've been available at #9. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
If I had to bet money today on who Carolina is taking, my money would be on Anthony Richardson...as crazy as that may sound. They were talking on NFL radio this evening about who they might take and Reich has always had big, sturdy bodied QB's. Josh McCown is the new QB coach there. I would almost be more floored if they took Bryce Young with the top pick. What better spot for a guy to land who has been compared to Cam Newton, then in Carolina? I would take CJ Stroud, who I think is the bar none best QB in this draft, but the alure and upside of Richardson might be too much to resist. Carolina has done their homework on him and it's no coincidence immediately following the Combine and Richardson's performance that they make the move up to #1
That would be pretty ridiculous. From the 4th QB and borderline 2nd rounder due to extreme rawness to the #1 pick overall and ostensibly a day one starting QB in the NFL....due to some good numbers at the combine? Really hard to see. 

But ya know why the NFL keeps getting this shit wrong? For doing things like this. So you could be right. 
Happens every year as we both know. I can only see the pick being Stroud or Richardson, so we'll see...
I'm not sure why everyone's dismissing Bryce Young. I'd say he's the most likely. And then there was a well publicized report about how much their owner, David Tepper, is in love with Will Levis.

But who knows? Could be any of the 4. But I really can't imagine a team who needs an immediate starter taking a project like Richardson, especially when you consider it's somewhat likely he would've been available at #9. 
Young doesn't fit the mold of what Frank Reich has traditionally had at the QB position and when you combine that with his stature, I would have a very difficult time seeing him in the conversation for the Panthers. 

I also suspect that the Panthers were very interested in Richardson and thought he was in play for them with the 9th pick prior to the combine. He blows it up at the combine and I'm sure they saw the writing on the wall that if they didn't make the move, they likely would have been out of the running completely for a QB. Three of the top four picks now are going to be QB's. But Richardson is one of those guys who as the draft process shakes out just rocketed up draft boards like a Cam Newton, Zac Wilson, Kyler Murray, even Patrick Mahomes who was a projected second round pick when he came out. We've seen this story before, just never with a guy that has had Richardson's physical skill set. It will either be Stroud or Richardson

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

Young doesn't fit the mold of what Frank Reich has traditionally had at the QB position and when you combine that with his stature, I would have a very difficult time seeing him in the conversation for the Panthers. 

I also suspect that the Panthers were very interested in Richardson and thought he was in play for them with the 9th pick prior to the combine. He blows it up at the combine and I'm sure they saw the writing on the wall that if they didn't make the move, they likely would have been out of the running completely for a QB. Three of the top four picks now are going to be QB's. But Richardson is one of those guys who as the draft process shakes out just rocketed up draft boards like a Cam Newton, Zac Wilson, Kyler Murray, even Patrick Mahomes who was a projected second round pick when he came out. We've seen this story before, just never with a guy that has had Richardson's physical skill set. It will either be Stroud or Richardson
I hope you're right. I hope they blow all that draft capital on a QB who's 3 years away, I really do. The longest shot of all four of the top QBs--hell all five. I think Hooker could be starting before Richardson. 

Never can predict what an NFL team is going to do though, but if I were putting money on who they'll take, I'd put them in this order: Young, Levis, small gap, Stroud, big gap, Richardson. So the exact opposite of what you think.  :p

But it's very possible I'm giving a team who believed in Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield too much credit.