Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about the O?
Apparently our O is being drilled into as a potential mine for future OCs already.   Currently we have 3 offensive position coaches interviewing for OC jobs across the league.   Not likely to lose all 3,  but any loss could be a big one.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/top_ne...h-advances

The good news--actually it's HUGE news that largely went unnoticed--is that our OC, Wes Phillips, declined an interview with the Chargers because he wants to see through what he has going with the offense. 

So this marks the first time in 7 years Cousins will have the same OC two years in a row. 

2016 = Sean McVay

2017 = Matt Cavanaugh

2018 = Brian DeFilippo

2019 = Kevin Stefanski

2020 = Gary Kubiak

2021 = Klint Kubiak

2022 = Wes Phillips

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
The good news--actually it's HUGE news that largely went unnoticed--is that our OC, Wes Phillips, declined an interview with the Chargers because he wants to see through what he has going with the offense. 

So this marks the first time in 7 years Cousins will have the same OC two years in a row. 

2016 = Sean McVay

2017 = Matt Cavanaugh

2018 = Brian DeFilippo

2019 = Kevin Stefanski

2020 = Gary Kubiak

2021 = Klint Kubiak

2022 = Wes Phillips
The offense will make incremental improvements alone with just this development of Phillips staying. Tom Brady's career was greatly served by O-coordinators being consistent or new ones doing EXACTLY what the previous ones did to continue the success. 

Wes PhillipsPhillips is the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings since the 2022 season. Phillips' record as the team's offensive coordinator was 13-4-0, making him the second-most successful offensive coordinator in Minnesota Vikings history. The team made it to the playoffs one time (2022) and had a 0-1 record under Coach Phillips in playoff games.
Klint KubiakKubiak was the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2021 season. Kubiak's record as the team's offensive coordinator was 8-9-0, making him the third-least successful offensive coordinator in Minnesota Vikings history.
Gary KubiakKubiak was the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2020 season. Kubiak's record as the team's offensive coordinator was 7-9-0, making him the second-least successful offensive coordinator in Minnesota Vikings history.
Kevin StefanskiStefanski was the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2019 season. The team made it to the playoffs one time (2019) and had a 1-1 record under Coach Stefanski in playoff games.
John DeFilippoDeFilippo was the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2018 season.
Pat ShurmurShurmur was the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2017 season. Shurmur's record as the team's offensive coordinator was 13-3-0, making him the most successful offensive coordinator in Minnesota Vikings history. The team made it to the playoffs one time (2017) and had a 1-1 record under Coach Shurmur in playoff games.
Norv TurnerTurner was the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2014-2016 seasons, a total of three years. The team made it to the playoffs one time (2015) and had a 0-1 record under Coach Turner in playoff games.

Has any NFL team   had 7 different OC's in 7 consecutive years that won the superbowl?

Its great if the Oc stays the same,  even better when the OC is really the HC because they don't get poached,  but position coaches can be just as important as an OC in some offenses.

Shurmur was special. Too bad the Vikings couldn't keep him. The great innovative offensive coordinators in the history of the Minnesota Vikings have been Jerry Burns, Brian Billick, and Pat Shurmur. KOC has the potential, but needs better players to get there. Hopefully Kwesi can deliver.
But with a competitive rebuild instead of an overhaul, it will take awhile, and may never happen!

I don't see the Wilfs ever agreeing to an overhaul. However, with this Season's upcoming schedule, all the holes we have, no cap space, limited picks, etc. it might turn into that whether they want it to or not. Even with an improved defense, I think we will be hovering around .500 with a small chance of getting a Wild Card berth. I can't believe I'm saying this, but my early prediction is that the Lions are winning the Division. 

Quote: @Mattyman said:Has any NFL team   had 7 different OC's in 7 consecutive years that won the superbowl?
I don't think there's a correlation. Teams change OCs more often than I change my socks, especially those with defensive head coaches. Think about it. If the offense is good, they get HC jobs. If it's bad they get replaced.