Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad, but very probably the truth.....
I get that Adam's wife (and maybe him as well) are a little irked with his lack of catches and part of the offense this year, but.....its freaking Justin Jefferson. He's probably a Hall of Fame WRer. You have a very active TE in Hockenson. I mean, not sure what they expect. 

Where are you getting that they are irked?  All I've seen is them facing  reality of his contract.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Where are you getting that they are irked?  All I've seen is them facing  reality of his contract.
Just my perspective. The Instagram vibe from his wife when the game was what, barely an hour done, and she's already posting they probably won't be back....just seemed quick and a little predetermined. He's obviously not done with his career. JMO.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Just my perspective. The Instagram vibe from his wife when the game was what, barely an hour done, and she's already posting they probably won't be back....just seemed quick and a little predetermined. He's obviously not done with his career. JMO.

if anything I would say its the opening round of renegotiations on their part.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

That would be a nice byproduct. But my guess is that's up to Adam. I'd say unlikely.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

That would be a nice byproduct. But my guess is that's up to Adam. I'd say unlikely.
he has to know that he has maybe 2-3 years left at best,  how much more does he need to make before he decides its worth uprooting his young family for only a few years,  since he and his wife are both from MN,  I would have to think they will likely stay in the area after his playing days are done, I think he will likely be willing to take a pay cut,  but how much is to much?

I’d imagine there are three factors going on for Thielen.  Money, touches, and Championships.  If he got cut, I could see him trying to
latch onto one of the teams with an elite QB and a solid roster.  While we’ll always have a spot in his heart,
it’s got to be tough feeling like you can produce more, but the entire offense
is designed to be funneled through a different player and your job is to help
him get the best looks and best stats and then be a backup if that doesn’t work
out.  It’s also got to be tough looking at
our team and try to estimate how much of a rebuild are the Vikings going to go
through and can they put together a Championship caliber team before his body
tells him to hang the cleats up or should he spend the next couple of years on
a Chiefs or Bills roster trying to get that ring in a system that maybe is
better at divvying up the touches.

Quote: @medaille said:
I’d imagine there are three factors going on for Thielen.  Money, touches, and Championships.  If he got cut, I could see him trying to
latch onto one of the teams with an elite QB and a solid roster.  While we’ll always have a spot in his heart,
it’s got to be tough feeling like you can produce more, but the entire offense
is designed to be funneled through a different player and your job is to help
him get the best looks and best stats and then be a backup if that doesn’t work
out.  It’s also got to be tough looking at
our team and try to estimate how much of a rebuild are the Vikings going to go
through and can they put together a Championship caliber team before his body
tells him to hang the cleats up or should he spend the next couple of years on
a Chiefs or Bills roster trying to get that ring in a system that maybe is
better at divvying up the touches.
I think our O is going to continue to struggle if they dont spread the ball more.  I know so many were happy with the O this year,  but I didnt see a championship caliber offense and I think in large part is because we were focusing to much on JJ.  Yes he needs to be a big part of the O,  but it has to be balanced or it becomes just as easy and predictable as an O that is unbalanced in terms of run vs pass.

also,  if so much of the O is built around getting the ball to JJ,  then what happens if/when JJ isnt available for a stretch?  you wont get the same production by simply having somebody else fill that role.  spread the ball around more and make defense play the whole field every play.

This offense was good, not great, not top tier.  Why?  4 factors 

1. weak interior OL play
Ingram showed promise as the season moved on but I still question Bradberry's ability to compete against top interior OL and it is hard to tell what Cleveland is at this point.  Occasionally they looked good but they also lead the league in 0 or negative carries.  Hard to sustain drives and be efficient like that

2. no deep threat
Kwesi missed his chance not ONCE but TWICE in round 1.  We had the top 3 WRs so we didn't need to rush a WR on the field (Williams) or throw a complex route tree at (Watson).  Either one would have been dangerous in this offense, just being to take the top off, to remove a safety creates a lot of match up advantages for JET and Adam.  We went from a team that would go deep often in Cousins purple career to once a game if we were lucky.   Adam, KJ, they provide value but they are not that guy.  I really hope Cine pans out because I think both Williams and Watson not only could have been a game changer with Jefferson but will be a problem for years to come.

3. questionable play calling
Just too up and down and WHY are WE SO TERRIBLE on 3rd/4th and short.  It became obvious with the Bills game, two drives that should have ended in points ended in nothing because we couldn't convert 3rd and short.   Spreading and running out of shotgun?  When you have Ham?  When you have a guy who should stretch the field in Jefferson?  Yikes.  It came back to bite us in the ass in Detroit.  Dumb 4th down in our own territory that didn't convert giving all the momentum to Detroit who scored on the next play with the bomb to the kid who should have solved number 2

4. immobile QB
Hard to compete in the NFL with an immobile QB.  Don't give me the Brady comp, Kirk is not Brady.  If you have an immobile QB you need top end OL play consistently to have a great offense.  Our best year in the last 10, Keenum, he's not Lamar Jackson but he made a lot of plays that extend drives with his mobility.   Cousins is not going to improve this, so a young QB can't be a Cousins 2.0

It was a mixture of talent, youth, and play calling which is why this offense didn't ever really dominate.  It seems Cousins accuracy was off all year, throwing behind WRs vs leading them (2018 GB game, damn!). That keeps a WR from making a catch or catching and getting YAC vs balls being knocked down (the 3rd down before the failed 4th) and WRs being tackled on the spot.

Add a deep threat or put Nailor on the field (I think he is potentially impactful), add another interior OL guy with weight to the line, and realistically draft or trade for a younger guy who presents more threats (less experience, accuracy) than Cousins.  That should be able help play calling get smoother, less predictable, more productive.