Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toothless Defense
Brutal. It was always going to be the problem in the end. The 3-4 seems to have been a mistake. Hard decisions will need to be made for this roster, players like JJ will break the bank this offseason. Despite trying to remain more positive in the light of the evidence on D, I had a bad feeling about this game the closer to gametime . Knew the Giants would gameplan accordingly after the first matchup. This game still could have been won with a play or two, but the well finally ran dry. Now the national media gets their 'I told you so's in. I felt the game would be close. If they pulled off a win somehow yesterday I would have been all in on a magical mystery tour to the Superbowl. But it ended like most of us thought it would deep down. I'm glad I enjoyed the wins as they came and didn't focus on the end result, at least for me it was better that way. 

This just horrific D was exactly that all year. Will be interesting to see the moves this offseason and the Draft. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Brutal. It was always going to be the problem in the end. The 3-4 seems to have been a mistake. Hard decisions will need to be made for this roster, players like JJ will break the bank this offseason. Despite trying to remain more positive in the light of the evidence on D, I had a bad feeling about this game the closer to gametime . Knew the Giants would gameplan accordingly after the first matchup. This game still could have been won with a play or two, but the well finally ran dry. Now the national media gets their 'I told you so's in. I felt the game would be close. If they pulled off a win somehow yesterday I would have been all in on a magical mystery tour to the Superbowl. But it ended like most of us thought it would deep down. I'm glad I enjoyed the wins as they came and didn't focus on the end result, at least for me it was better that way. 

This just horrific D was exactly that all year. Will be interesting to see the moves this offseason and the Draft. 
We have no cap, and we only have 4 draft choices. I don't see how you fix the defense without completely blowing it up. We have too many high priced veterans with big cap hits on both sides of the ball which makes trading them at their current salaries challenging if not impossible. We will be starting next year at $8 Million over the cap. Kwesi only had 1 starter from this year's draft(Ingram). We can assume that Asamoah will replace either Hicks or Kendricks and that Evans will need to be elevated to a starting role as well. Thank god Sullivan was only a one year deal. He is absolutely terrible. 2nd worst slot corner in the league and a huge reason why our defense was constantly gashed over the middle. This is going to be a multi year project to fix the defense. I think Booth will never be healthy since he hasn't been since High School, and I have no idea how Cine will be once he is fully recovered. Regardless of what Kwesi does, we need to inject some youth and athleticism on defense and put them in a scheme that matches the personnel we have. 

Thielen $19 Million
Harrison Smith $19 Million
Z. Smith $15 Million
Cook $14 Million
Hunter $13 Million
Kendricks $11 Million

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

We have no cap, and we only have 4 draft choices. I don't see how you fix the defense without completely blowing it up. We have too many high priced veterans with big cap hits on both sides of the ball which makes trading them at their current salaries challenging if not impossible. We will be starting next year at $8 Million over the cap. Kwesi only had 1 starter from this year's draft(Ingram). We can assume that Asamoah will replace either Hicks or Kendricks and that Evans will need to be elevated to a starting role as well. Thank god Sullivan was only a one year deal. He is absolutely terrible. 2nd worst slot corner in the league and a huge reason why our defense was constantly gashed over the middle. This is going to be a multi year project to fix the defense. I think Booth will never be healthy since he hasn't been since High School, and I have no idea how Cine will be once he is fully recovered. Regardless of what Kwesi does, we need to inject some youth and athleticism on defense and put them in a scheme that matches the personnel we have. 

Thielen $19 Million
Z. Smith $15 Million
Cook $14 Million
Hunter $13 Million
Kendricks $11 Million

You are making some assumptions here: Booth and Cine will never be players for this D. If you flip it around, and they do become players, this helps tremendously at 2 important positions. I never agreed with the Harrison Smith extension. Thielen needs to big time restructure or outright cut unfortunately. A pass rush would have helped this D TREMENDOUSLY.  

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Thielen $19 Million
Z. Smith $15 Million
Cook $14 Million
Hunter $13 Million
Kendricks $11 Million

You are making some assumptions here: Booth and Cine will never be players for this D. If you flip it around, and they do become players, this helps tremendously at 2 important positions. I never agreed with the Harrison Smith extension. Thielen needs to big time restructure or outright cut unfortunately. A pass rush would have helped this D TREMENDOUSLY.  
I have more faith in Cine recovering and finding a starting role than I do with Booth. There are a lot of ex NFL players who had Chronic injuries and never fulfilled their potential. I put Booth in that category until he proves otherwise. Speaking of Pass Rush, our 2 best pass rushers will be taking up $29 Million in Cap Space next season(Smith, Hunter). They couldn't set the edge and let Jones gash them all game long by escaping for huge gains. I would like to keep Hunter, but unless they change the scheme back to a 4-3 he isn't worth what he's making. Smith also isn't worth what he's making as he faded down the stretch and didn't have much impact.