Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"TBro" said:
As good as Cousins played most of the game, he will be remembered by a Checkdown Pass that had no chance for a first down. Game over. Baffling. 
Unfortunately that's true. Before that throw I kept thinking how good Kirk had been all day. He was really the only reason we were in this game. He played very well. 

I think I would've preferred to see a prayer downfield to at least give someone a chance, but throwing short of the sticks and getting an RAC conversion is something we've done--and teams have done against us--many many times this year. No one every complains when it works. 

Of course, the biggest difference is that when we do it, there's typically a defender there to make it a contest. When it's done against us, Eric Kendricks is about 10 yards away. 

I listened to snippets fro both KOC and KC after the game...He had to toss that fast or it was going to be a sack. But yah, I would rather have seen a prayer downfield, even that situation. 

I would have rather seen the D hold the Gmen to a punt now and then too and not put us in that situation at all, 

or maybe he could have used his legs a bit to extend the play and give himself another tic or two for things to develop?  
He wont ever do that with the consistency most of us would like. We saw more this year than ever, but...

I suspect IOL got it handed to themselves from Lawrence (again) in that situation. KC wouldnt have had a prayer with the pressure up the gut. MAYBE Hurts, Allen or Mahomes. 

Here's a thought, maybe call a roll-out instead of straight drop back??? I dont recall many of those this season or screen passes. 

KC had 4 games of 10 yards or more rushing this year,  3 of 20 or more,  he totaled less than 100 yards on the season,  so the bulk of his rushing yards came in 4 games,  he had 5 games where he didnt attempt 1 rush.  31 total attempts on the season, ( less than 2 per game)  I dont want to ever see my QB be my primary or even secondary rushing attacker,  but there is no reason that he cant see 7 to 10 free yards and not take it and get down or out of bounds.  doing that 2 or 3 times a game steals first downs that extend drives that takes time away from opposing teams and give our D time to try and sort their shit out.   if he could take that free 10 yards ( like every QB does against our D ) when its there about 3 or 4 times a game,  I bet his hits and sack numbers drop significantly as he becomes more unpredictable and that also keeps LBs more honest and opens up more intermediate routes quicker as the LBs arent dropping into those passing lanes.

If KC wont do it, then find somebody who will.  same with rolling out when he senses pressure instead of trying to stand there and take the hit and hoping something comes open before getting hammered.
That's all well and good, but if we're talking about the last play, there were no lanes or escape routes. Kirk had to get rid of it. JJ was in triple coverage KJ was in tight coverage and not looking for the ball, and I don't think he could see Theilen who was also in tight coverage. Why TJ didn't take his route another 4 yds. who knows, but Cousins wouldn't have had time for the route to develop. 

It was a crap play that the Giants had played perfectly. End of story.
His lack of mobility makes him an easy guy to rush,  pretty easy to play it perfectly when you always know exactly where the QB will be standing on almost every pass plays.  He rarely steps up, he rarely slides, and he rarely makes teams pay for not maintaining their rush lane integrity.  This isn't about one play,  its about every play for the last 10 years that makes him so easy for teams to play perfectly.  If he had a tiny bit of mobility to go with his accuracy and other abilities,   he would be a SB contending QB,  and very likely be game planning for the niners tonight.  No the loss is not kirks fault,  but he could be doing more to help the team and play up to his money. 

Look at what has killed our defenses the last 10 years,   look at what Jones did,  look at what Brady and Prescott are doing tonight.   You don't have to run around like an idiot to keep defenses honest,  you just have to make them unsure. Of course this is as much on KOC as it is Kirk,   but this has been Kirk his whole career from what I've seen.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Kirk slides and moves well in the pocket. I'll give you that he could probably take off more than he does overall, but it's also a big part of why he's been available for every game since coming to the Vikings, unlike every other running QB in the league. 

I'd also dare say Kirk gets more pressure up the middle and in his face than almost any QB in the league. You know where he'll be because the interior line collapses so fast. It's not like Josh Allen or even Jones yesterday when they could step up in the pocket and find a lane to take off. The stats yesterday were 49% QB pressures to 14%. It wasn't because he was holding the ball too long, and they weren't even blitzing us. Yet, oddly enough, Kirk didn't take a sack yesterday, and managed to complete 31 of 39.  

KAM said it would be a 'competitive rebuild'. If Booth and Cine end up playing decently next year, that'll be huge. Cuts are coming and I think the roster will have some decent change to it heading into September. 

Kirk addressed it in his PC after the game.  He said pressure got to him early and he knew he couldn't take a sack there, so he put the ball in play.  He then said the throw he wanted back was the 3rd down throw.  Exactly as I called it, he put it on KJ a tad late, so KJ had to slow and catch it in his body giving the defender a chance to make a play.  Kirk said if he puts that out in front on KJs hands, they wouldn't have been in a 4th down.