Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Targeting
Vikings coach Kevin O’Connell said Monday that opponents are unfairly targeting star receiver Justin Jefferson.In the fourth quarter of Minnesota’s 39-36 overtime victory over Indianapolis at U.S. Bank Stadium on Saturday, O’Connell was livid after Colts cornerback Stephon Gilmore was penalized for unnecessary roughness for a vicious hit on Jefferson. Earlier in the fourth quarter, Colts defensive Rodney Thomas was called for unnecessary roughness after a hit on Jefferson. He eventually left the game briefly with a rib/chest contusion.
“He did take some shots in that game, and once again I think it’s about the fifth or sixth week in a row he took a type of hit that drew a flag,” O’Connell said Monday. “Clearly, there’s an emphasis on the teams we’re playing that some of those hits, they don’t just seem to be by accident at times.”
Foes have been flagged for penalties against Jefferson in five of the past six games. He took a hard hit on Dec. 4 against the New York Jets, and cornerback Jordan Whitehead was penalized for unnecessary roughness and eventually fined $15,914 by the NFL. There was a facemask penalty against Jefferson by New England defensive back Jonathan Jones on Nov. 24.

O’Connell said on Monday that Jefferson was doing fine after suffering the rib/chest contusion.
“Justin came out great,” O’Connell said. “He should be good throughout the week.”
https://www.twincities.com/2022/12/19/vikings-coach-kevin-oconnell-says-foes-unfairly-taking-hits-on-justin-jefferson/

I was pretty livid that Gilmore was not ejected... hell even the colts fan behind me was explaining to his son that their guy should have been ejected for that hit.

I think it was the Jets game where the CB tried to go helmet to helmet but ended up hitting his own guy.  It looked like a vicious hit.

It's bullshit. Obviously going to keep happening until someone gets kicked out of a game or JJ gets hurt.

Quote: @greediron said:
I think it was the Jets game where the CB tried to go helmet to helmet but ended up hitting his own guy.  It looked like a vicious hit.
i noticed it in the Jets hame.  It seemed like they were targeting Jefferson AND Cousins with violent hits.
After the Saints NFC championship game ((and the Super Bowl following) I have no time for this.  In fact I dont know how the Saints defensive coordinator ever made it back in the league.

Quote: @greediron said:
Looked that up and it was actually that deep throw to Reagor in the jets game.  The CB hit so hard that he helicoptered himself 180 around.  Don't know how they both didn't have concussions from that.