Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The dreaded 3rd qtr
The fulcrum on Sunday, as it has been so often this season, was the third quarter.
The Vikings ran 12 plays in the third quarter that netted a total of 10 yards. Kirk Cousins overthrew an open T.J. Hockenson, and an uncharacteristic Justin Jefferson drop cost the Vikings a chance for a big gain two plays later. The offense went three-and-out to start the second half; the Vikings' final two drives of the quarter ended with Jets sacks. The Vikings finished the quarter with -14 net passing yards; Cousins' only completion went to Dalvin Cook for no gain.
"The one to T.J. was the most egregious miss," Cousins said. "That was just a miss. Gave it too much. There were a couple [where] my feet were ahead of the play, so I'm hitching and my feet are telling me to release it, but the play hasn't really developed yet."
The quarterback added that he needed to watch the plays again to "make sure that I'm slowing down my drop, if that makes sense, to make sure I'm not ahead of the read or ahead of the play."
The Vikings' offensive splits by quarter this season are striking. They've averaged 5.37 yards per play in the first quarter this season (the 17th-best mark in the league), but they've been the league's 10th-most efficient team in the second quarter (at 5.87 yards per play) while scoring 97 points. And in the fourth quarter, when they've so often needed to be at their best, the Vikings have roared to life for 100 points, the second-most in the league behind the Browns with 102. They've averaged 4.9 yards per play, the 15th-best mark in the league.
In the third quarter, though, their 4.47 yards per play are the second-fewest in the NFL. Cousins hasn't thrown a third-quarter touchdown; he has three third-quarter interceptions this season, and his passer rating is just 58.2.
The Vikings have scored only 34 points in the third quarter this season (their opponents have scored 86). Only the Broncos, Chargers and Steelers have scored fewer"
I was hoping to get off to a little bit better start there in the third quarter, and then whether it was our second drive there, I did think we had a couple opportunities pass wise," coach Kevin O'Connell said. "We just couldn't convert those plays, and whether it's Kirk throwing to T.J. Hockenson or Justin Jefferson in those looks, we felt great about the looks. I felt the line held up in those moments. I expect those guys to make those plays and they will and they have all season long. Would have helped with that lull, and then just another example of us really not taking advantage of a lead at halftime, and then ultimately coming out and putting somebody away."
Sunday's game was another one that left the Vikings talking about their resilience and lamenting the fact they needed so much of it to win. Solving the third-quarter puzzle might give them the chance to breathe a bit easier in the fourth.
"Our guys kind of just continued to battle, and we did not want to make that one mistake," O'Connell said. "We did not want to make a critical error that would allow them to completely grasp the momentum in the game, but ultimately we would love to avoid that third-quarter lull, and that's something I've got to take a long look at, look inward and try to be better for our guys."
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-jets-third-quarter-lull-kirk-cousins-kevin-oconnell-dalvin-cook/600233188/

There's too much data here to be coincidence. Makes me wonder if the team has tried an opening script for the 3rd quarter like the do at the beginning of each game. Something to convince Cousins it's the 1st quarter, or the 4th and they're down a TD? Maybe another Skol chant? Hypnosis? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
There's too much data here to be coincidence. Makes me wonder if the team has tried an opening script for the 3rd quarter like the do at the beginning of each game. Something to convince Cousins it's the 1st quarter, or the 4th and they're down a TD? Maybe another Skol chant? Hypnosis? 
They could probably just copy their 1st quarter script for a game or two before defenses caught on.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Are defenses adjusting at halftime to what the offense is running?  Maybe KOC needs to channel a bit of the hardass at halftime.