Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR: Vikings reached out to Houston about WR Brandin Cooks

Time to kick more financial pain down in the road?  I feel like we're on the verge of being back to when Jeff Diamond was running the team in perpetual cap hell.

Really the only way I see them going all in this year is if they plan to blow it up.   Otherwise why risk weakening the franchises ability to sign better free agents and make draft day moves the next few years?  

Personally, I think the trade deadline will come and go with nothing happening for Minnesota. 

OK, well with all the rumors about Cooks, OBJ and Claypool, it seems pretty obvious the Vikings think they need a receiver. Like RB, it's an easy asset to acquire. I get that part of it. I just don't know how much it helps us. Unless....

...KOC is 100% convinced that the offensive rust will soon be behind us and we'll be hitting on all cylinders. Then maybe an additional downfield weapon makes some sense. But right now? We're still struggling to make adequate use of the talented weapons we already have.  

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Personally, I think the trade deadline will come and go with nothing happening for Minnesota. 
Wouldn't surprise me. But right now, everybody seems to be talking. 10 years ago, trade deadlines would come and go and you might see one trade every few years, usually a depth piece.

Now, it's like the NFL suddenly woke up and realized there was another way besides the draft and free agency to manage cap space and improve the roster. I also think the NFL is slowly realizing that draft picks are overrated. Let's say you have the 3rd overall pick. 8 out of the last 10 have been busts. That's madness. 

I think another factor is that NFL teams know they're going to get another big addition to the cap for 2023. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Wouldn't surprise me. But right now, everybody seems to be talking. 10 years ago, trade deadlines would come and go and you might see one trade every few years, usually a depth piece.

Now, it's like the NFL suddenly woke up and realized there was another way besides the draft and free agency to manage cap space and improve the roster. I also think the NFL is slowly realizing that draft picks are overrated. Let's say you have the 3rd overall pick. 8 out of the last 10 have been busts. That's madness. 

I think another factor is that NFL teams know they're going to get another big addition to the cap for 2023. 

Agreed. It makes for another anticipated timeframe in the course of the NFL season in a real way for fans: the trade deadline. 

Too much smoke for there not to be any fire... 

I think they've come to the conclusion they dont have a 1b WR on this team - and they need it. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Too much smoke for there not to be any fire... 

I think they've come to the conclusion they dont have a 1b WR on this team - and they need it. 
I do agree they are looking.....but I don't think they'll give the comp to do it. A 2nd rounder? Maybe, for the right guy. If KAM can squeeze out a 3rd rounder instead for a guy that will help immediately, then do it. Something must be up that shows the offensive staff they could go lights out on O with another speedy option that can be a can opener.