Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Force is strong (as of 10/10 anyhow)
The narrative won't change with Kirk: first shit game he throws and an avalanche of people just waiting for him to mess up will be there with bells on. I like Cousins but I also realize he isn't perfect. But then again, not sure what QB is. Typical though for the media: build someone up to gladly tear them down next week. Regardless, the Vikings are locked into Cousins with the contract he has at least until 2024. This spring would just be the perfect time to draft a QB for several reasons. Not sure if that will happen. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Hey, I lost faith in Kirk the past two seasons...  But I'll be the first to admit that he's impressed the heck out of me the past couple games with leading the team to victories where he hadn't always come thru before.

That's just it, he has come through in the past, but the very bad Zim D couldn't hold late leads.  I did a post in the offseason and IIRC Kirk led the team down the field in the 4th or in OT to take the lead or be in position to take the lead if not for missed FG (AZ) or fumble (Cincy) either 5 or 6 times last year.  If the D had been at all average the Vikings would have won at least 2 of those games and they would have been in the playoffs.

Quote: @"rf54" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
Hey, I lost faith in Kirk the past two seasons...  But I'll be the first to admit that he's impressed the heck out of me the past couple games with leading the team to victories where he hadn't always come thru before.

That's just it, he has come through in the past, but the very bad Zim D couldn't hold late leads.  I did a post in the offseason and IIRC Kirk led the team down the field in the 4th or in OT to take the lead or be in position to take the lead if not for missed FG (AZ) or fumble (Cincy) either 5 or 6 times last year.  If the D had been at all average the Vikings would have won at least 2 of those games and they would have been in the playoffs.
its great and all that he can lead a drive late in the game to win it... but why do we have the jeckyl and hyde from him every game?  what happens that he seems to have the game in control and yet he/the O derails for a few drives and then has to have a 4th quarter comeback?   yes the D gives up points,  but it seems like the O just falls flat in the middle of these games and ends up either punting or long field goals.  it would just be nice to see a game where they come out and take care of business against teams that shouldnt be that difficult to handle.  not every game needs to come to that point where the fans are muttering obscenities' under their breath as they pour yet another drink trying to dull their senses to the pending disaster.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Granted its the Bears, but its still an NFL team that was .500

Olde Wetlander could be right...This may be a new, improved version of KC? 

Time will tell..Maybe its just Kirktober?  :p

Definitely think O'Connell's play calling and coaching style is a benefit for Kirk. He's (KOC) empowered him on and off the field and shown a level of trust in Kirk that he likely hasn't had since he's been here.

Looking more and more like we made the right HC and QB decision this offseason.

If KAM got those right it's a hell of a start - the most important start.

Time will tell, we're still on honeymoon @ 4/1 in Year 1. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Granted its the Bears, but its still an NFL team that was .500

Olde Wetlander could be right...This may be a new, improved version of KC? 

Time will tell..Maybe its just Kirktober?  :p

Definitely think O'Connell's play calling and coaching style is a benefit for Kirk. He's (KOC) empowered him on and off the field and shown a level of trust in Kirk that he likely hasn't had since he's been here.

Looking more and more like we made the right HC and QB decision this offseason.

If KAM got those right it's a hell of a start - the most important start.

Time will tell, we're still on honeymoon @ 4/1 in Year 1. 

Well, it's looking good for this year any way...  I mean our rumored options were (in no particular order):

- Keep Cousins- Draft a rookie QB /sign a FA QB
- Trade Cousins to the Browns for Baker Mayfield + a pick(s)
- Trade for Russell Wilson- Trade for Desean Watson
We can't draw any hard conclusions on these options yet...  but I don't think we are 4-1 with anyone but Cousins.  Long term might be different, but we won't find that out for awhile yet.

Kirk seems to be a different QB so far this season, seems more in command of the play on the field by changing the play if needed and getting guys involved in the offense.  He still needs to carry it over to prime time games when the lights are on, hopefully he can do that.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"rf54" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

what happens that he seems to have the game in control and yet he/the O derails for a few drives and then has to have a 4th quarter comeback?   
 not every game needs to come to that point where the fans are muttering obscenities' under their breath as they pour yet another drink trying to dull their senses to the pending disaster.
It's called the NFL.  No team has a outright physical advantage.  Other teams have a budget of $220 MIL to beat our team and an endless coaches budget to come up with a plan to stop what the Vikings ar trying to do.  They too are making adjustments and changes to "derail" their opponent during games.

The NFL is set up so that every game is close, any team can win any given Sunday.  They want games to be close and come down to a TD or FG for the win.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"rf54" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

what happens that he seems to have the game in control and yet he/the O derails for a few drives and then has to have a 4th quarter comeback?   
 not every game needs to come to that point where the fans are muttering obscenities' under their breath as they pour yet another drink trying to dull their senses to the pending disaster.
It's called the NFL.  No team has a outright physical advantage.  Other teams have a budget of $220 MIL to beat our team and an endless coaches budget to come up with a plan to stop what the Vikings ar trying to do.  They too are making adjustments and changes to "derail" their opponent during games.

The NFL is set up so that every game is close, any team can win any given Sunday.  They want games to be close and come down to a TD or FG for the win.
Bull shit.  There are teams that can still just flat out control a game.  Even KOC admitted that he got to conservative and we've seen it in other games this season.  If it was parity as you suggest then the perennial cellar dwellers would emerge from time to time and would be in a constant state of shit.  I know they won't get 6 on every drive,  but if you watch the games you can see them lift and the resulting decline in results.

I am taking about being able to drive the field for 3 possessions and then the next few can barely muster 20 yards,  and then miraculously when they are in a must go situation they can turn it back on for the win,  that is not due to parity,  that is due to play calling and execution,  and eventually that approach will fail.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"rf54" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"rf54" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

Bull shit.  There are teams that can still just flat out control a game.  Even KOC admitted that he got to conservative and we've seen it in other games this season.  If it was parity as you suggest then the perennial cellar dwellers would emerge from time to time and would be in a constant state of shit.  I know they won't get 6 on every drive,  but if you watch the games you can see them lift and the resulting decline in results.

I am taking about being able to drive the field for 3 possessions and then the next few can barely muster 20 yards,  and then miraculously when they are in a must go situation they can turn it back on for the win,  that is not due to parity,  that is due to play calling and execution,  and eventually that approach will fail.
not just parity, but the other team making adjustments that need to be adjusted to and counter adjustments made.  That is what I was talking about other teams are paid to win as well.  

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"rf54" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"rf54" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

not just parity, but the other team making adjustments that need to be adjusted to and counter adjustments made.  That is what I was talking about other teams are paid to win as well.  
There is a pattern here,  adjustments dont always work like a switch and this is a noticeable pattern through 5 games..