Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things I'm concerned about at 1-1, and things I'm not
Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
QB - Like all QBs, Cousins has bad games. Though he struggles to bounce back WITHIN a bad game, he typically bounces back fairly well from game to game. 

Not to eviscerate Kirk because he's normally solid but this is what's most infuriating to me about him. If things look bad after 2-3 drives, they almost always stay bad the entire game. There's a couple lone exceptions (I recall a game versus a terrible Broncos team from a year or two ago) but for the most part it's every time. So then watching the next two hours of the game becomes an endurance test and a slog for fans. Monday night was no different.
Kirk strikes me as a guy who has eaten Raisin Bran every day for the last 30 years and if he woke up tomorrow with a Cinnamon Toast Crunch in his bowl smoke would start blowing out his ears and he'd malfunction.
He's a solid QB but performances like Monday-- while rare-ish, I agree-- are still getting old.
EDIT- So as to not be completely negative, I agree with MB: not too concerned about OL, DL (I'd add them), Weapons, and ST. DL ineffectiveness I'm chalking up to bad scheme rather than bad players. Hoping for bounceback.
I look at the whole defense as a mild concern because it is essentially 9 new starters within a new scheme.  We have 6 new starters on Defense alone and then you add guys like Hunter, Kendricks, Tomlinson playing new positions in the new scheme.   This is going to take some time to gel.  How long I don't know but I just look for improvements or the learning from mistakes (Eagles game many).  I really want to see how the overall defense performs vs the Lions which is more a Packer run offense then an Eagle run offense.  

I just want and hope for continual improvement and a buildup to a playoff caliber team.  We have a nice stretch of games (schedule-wise fwiw) from week 10 - 15 and if we can be in good shape entering that 5 game stretch then we will be gearing up for a playoff push and a team that can actually compete in the playoffs and not just squeeze-in but a non-contender.
Quoting myself to just add a little nuance to the above - we have the 6 new starters on Defense and the 3 in new roles.  That leaves Harry and PPeterson in their originals.  Of the 6 new starters I am not sure if they all played in a 3-4 defense either so thier is that change as well, maybe.  I know Smith played in GB's 3-4 but I am not sure about the 5 others and I am too lazy to look up/research. 

Anyway, as expected a lot of mistakes were made and I hope we learn from some of them for this week.

I, for some reason, think we will rebound and play more like we did vs GB at home.  Still, a very close game, but I think our team bounces back and puts up a W!  

• I am also hoping that KOC implements more roll-outs and play action into the offense, playing more to Cousins' strength.  I do like the early use of the hurry-up as I think that helps Kirk get out of Kirk's head.  I think it makes him rely more on his instincts than his thought process -- if that makes sense.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
QB - Like all QBs, Cousins has bad games. Though he struggles to bounce back WITHIN a bad game, he typically bounces back fairly well from game to game. 

Not to eviscerate Kirk because he's normally solid but this is what's most infuriating to me about him. If things look bad after 2-3 drives, they almost always stay bad the entire game. There's a couple lone exceptions (I recall a game versus a terrible Broncos team from a year or two ago) but for the most part it's every time. So then watching the next two hours of the game becomes an endurance test and a slog for fans. Monday night was no different.
Kirk strikes me as a guy who has eaten Raisin Bran every day for the last 30 years and if he woke up tomorrow with a Cinnamon Toast Crunch in his bowl smoke would start blowing out his ears and he'd malfunction.
He's a solid QB but performances like Monday-- while rare-ish, I agree-- are still getting old.
EDIT- So as to not be completely negative, I agree with MB: not too concerned about OL, DL (I'd add them), Weapons, and ST. DL ineffectiveness I'm chalking up to bad scheme rather than bad players. Hoping for bounceback.
I look at the whole defense as a mild concern because it is essentially 9 new starters within a new scheme.  We have 6 new starters on Defense alone and then you add guys like Hunter, Kendricks, Tomlinson playing new positions in the new scheme.   This is going to take some time to gel.  How long I don't know but I just look for improvements or the learning from mistakes (Eagles game many).  I really want to see how the overall defense performs vs the Lions which is more a Packer run offense then an Eagle run offense.  

I just want and hope for continual improvement and a buildup to a playoff caliber team.  We have a nice stretch of games (schedule-wise fwiw) from week 10 - 15 and if we can be in good shape entering that 5 game stretch then we will be gearing up for a playoff push and a team that can actually compete in the playoffs and not just squeeze-in but a non-contender.
I am more worried about Donatell the coach, sitting in a soft shell and not adjusting that.  That was a piss poor plan and Philly just walked up and down the field with easy throws.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I am more worried about Donatell the coach, sitting in a soft shell and not adjusting that.  That was a piss poor plan and Philly just walked up and down the field with easy throws.
Agreed. And you know that KOC probably let Donatell handle the defensive gameplan. My guess is he doesn't do that again. HC has to coach both sides of the ball. 

I’m concerned about our safety play w/o the Hitman on Sunday against the Lions…

As subpar as last weeks performance was, I don’t think it
shifts my expectations too much.  On
defense, I don’t think that stupid gameplan will be our norm, even if we have
to play the Eagles again.  On offense, I
think we’ll have a rocky first 7 games, and then Cousins will have enough of
the offense ingrained in him to perform consistently at a good level, and it
will take about the same amount of time for KOC to dial in the offensive scheme
such that all our weapons are utilized properly.

My biggest concerns are defensive health.  If Hunter or Z.Smith go down or we start
losing CBs, I think we’re in for a world of hurt.  After that, I worry that Cousins is a
limiting factor, like he just has a bad-Kirk day at the wrong time and it ends
our playoff/SB chances.  I still think we’re
a playoff caliber team, generally playing well most of the time, but skeptical
that we can make a deep run.  I think
there’s a good chance that we’ll have a lot of learning moments that eat away a
few too many wins.

There's a neat clip of Ingram handling Jordan Davis and moving his ass right out of the play. Might be just a moment in time, but its very important to know he has that ability. p.s. found it:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/157...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fvikingswire.usatoday.com%2F2022%2F09%2F23%2Fvikings-ed-ingram-jordan-davis%2F

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
There's a neat clip of Ingram handling Jordan Davis and moving his ass right out of the play. Might be just a moment in time, but its very important to know he has that ability. p.s. found it:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/157...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fvikingswire.usatoday.com%2F2022%2F09%2F23%2Fvikings-ed-ingram-jordan-davis%2F
Maybe it just wasn't Davis's night, but Bradbury had a good rep against him here (and a good night pass blocking Overall).

https://sports.yahoo.com/vikings-film-room-garrett-bradbury-041842187.html?src=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Maybe it just wasn't Davis's night, but Bradbury had a good rep against him here (and a good night pass blocking Overall).

https://sports.yahoo.com/vikings-film-room-garrett-bradbury-041842187.html?src=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Thanks for posting. I had not seen that. Bradbury looked good, but Davis looked awful. As I've said before he can be an all pro run stopper, but it's going to be a while before he offers much rushing the passer. He's got the speed and athleticism. Just doesn't know what to do with it yet. 

The Ingram play was even more fun. Just buries Davis. Love the rookie's strength and aggressiveness.