Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Won't miss this predictable offensive horse#$@t

I will admit I dont watch as much of the other NFL games as I used to,  but it seems to me that they teams at the bottom of the list,  with the lowest run rates,  are the teams with the most overall NFL success,  but also are the teams that are more prone to let the offense be led by the passing game and not trying to be run first.

Officiating rewards passing teams

I'm too lazy to do the footwork but I feel you could take that same list and compare by passing interference or holding calls on the wr and it would just flip the numbers  with the teams at the bottom of the previous list would be the top numbers

Every post in this thread is correct. I watch all the NFL I can get my eyes on and the teams who pass and the teams who hurry-up have the most success on offense. Every stat proves it out and it’s why there were drives the past couple of years when the Vikings would go no-huddle, we go right down the field and then the next drive it was our typical plodding attack. It made no sense and I’m very excited our new coach is coming from an offense that runs plays fast and passes way above league avg. It’s the way the league is going (or has already arrived at). 

Purple Daily did a show last week where they went into the offenses' 3rd down problems.  Turns out the Vikings average 3rd down was 8 yards to go, the longest in the NFL.  Why? Because after the first down incompletion (or a stuffed 1st down run), everyone knew the Vikings would run on 2nd down, resulting in another stuff and hello 3rd and long.

Also helps explain why the Vikings were 26th in converting 3rd downs: because they had so many 3rd and longs where play-action was off the table, letting the defense just come after Kirk.  

yes excited to see that change. this team will throw to set up the run 

Overall, I think teams should pass more, especially on 1st down, so if you hope to have any kind of balance, 2nd down has to be your run down. 

But it begs the question, is balance even the goal anymore? Probably not. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Overall, I think teams should pass more, especially on 1st down, so if you hope to have any kind of balance, 2nd down has to be your run down. 

That's kind of the point to my starting this thread: the biggest advantages in today's NFL are in the passing game, start using it more and less predictably. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

That's kind of the point to my starting this thread: the biggest advantages in today's NFL are in the passing game, start using it more and less predictably. 
Unpredictability comes with balance. However, I think there are ways this offense can introduce wrinkles within the passing game that will keep defenses on their toes. Stuff like Dalvin wide, finding a role for Kene, etc. As a defense, what would you expect with Dalvin wide, JJ in the slot and Mattison in the backfield? Pretty much anything. Nice to have capable weapons two and three deep at every position but TE. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Unpredictability comes with balance. However, I think there are ways this offense can introduce wrinkles within the passing game that will keep defenses on their toes. Stuff like Dalvin wide, finding a role for Kene, etc. As a defense, what would you expect with Dalvin wide, JJ in the slot and Mattison in the backfield? Pretty much anything. Nice to have capable weapons two and three deep at every position but TE. 
I say unpredictability in the context of second down.