Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should the Cards do?
Hitch the long-term wagon to Murray or not?

I was listening to national sports radio and a lot of good cases can be made for signing Murray now, waiting a year or not at all...

I dont think he's elite and who knows if the current coaching staff/system will be around after 2022 with the system in place? 

Tough decisions coming-up for Cards...

Its really not tough. Sign Murray. He can do things other QBs can't yet he's very inconsistent. Doesn't matter. He's not perfect, but he can be elite situationally which is what NFL team are looking for. 

He has not been a QB you can depend on week in week out, I had him FFL.  When he plays well he is great, and his lows are just as profound.  It also appears that his game can be easily planned for, whether that is his limitations or the Cards offensive scheme.  It's going to be a gamble on how much to tie up in the guy, my opinion is he will have a short career, (Yep I know).  With the size and speed of today's players the strength of bone and tendon is a matter of size.  Until he gets bonded with adamantium he will come up on the short side(yeah I am aware) of the unstoppable force meeting the immovable object equation.

Hes a really good athlete, but a marginal QB,  I dont break the bank for him,  I maybe put him on the market,  see what there is for interest and then make him a fair offer based on what I see for interest,  but it wouldnt be reset the market type money,  maybe enough to keep him around until something better is available,  but honestly I dont see him as a type of player that can carry a franchise,  so why cripple the cap when he will need a lot of high talent supporting cast that will require significant money themselves.  he is however still pretty green and could likely improve with the right coaching, scheme, and environment....but I dont think you over pay at this point on potential.

The Cardinals should pay him.  Look at Cliff Kingsbury's record in college and the NFL...  his teams start hot and fizzle every year. Murray is a good young QB and the Cardinals would be foolish not to keep him.  I'd change coaches before I changed QBs in Arizona.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
Hes a really good athlete, but a marginal QB,  I dont break the bank for him,  I maybe put him on the market,  see what there is for interest and then make him a fair offer based on what I see for interest,  but it wouldnt be reset the market type money,  maybe enough to keep him around until something better is available,  but honestly I dont see him as a type of player that can carry a franchise,  so why cripple the cap when he will need a lot of high talent supporting cast that will require significant money themselves.  he is however still pretty green and could likely improve with the right coaching, scheme, and environment....but I dont think you over pay at this point on potential.
Yeah, hero ball makes good highlights, but is really hard to build a scheme around it.  No sense handicapping your team if the player isn't going bring consistent wins.

Kyler Murray is 24 years old, there's zero reason to panic or give up on him. Plenty of time to improve in his weak areas. If Holmgren can hang in there with a young Brett Favre, the Cardinals will pay Murray.  :p

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Its really not tough. Sign Murray. He can do things other QBs can't yet he's very inconsistent. Doesn't matter. He's not perfect, but he can be elite situationally which is what NFL team are looking for. 
Exactly. People sweat shit like this way too much. I suspect it's only media. I seriously doubt anyone in a position to make decisions is actually considering NOT paying him. 

Can you win a Super Bowl with him? Yeah, of course. That's all you need to know. But sure, cash that in for another seat at the poker table...see if you improve your hand.