Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Kyle Hinton the Plan at Center?
I don't typically post fan-written pieces, but with the exception of his idea of moving Ezra Cleveland to center (seems whack to me), this is well informed and interesting. 

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/5/21/...nsive-line
The new regime brings a different scheme and different skillset requirements for their offensive linemen. The Vikings will run a predominantly inside/mid-zone scheme this year, rather than the predominantly outside/wide zone scheme they’ve run in the past, according to Chisom Opara, the Vikings’ national scout. He went on to say that they’re looking for guys with enough athleticism for the scheme, but who can also “put a dent” into opposing defensive linemen too.
And given they’ve added six interior offensive linemen to the roster, the new regime knows the interior offensive line needs improvement. According to NextGen Stats, the Vikings allowed the second highest QB pressure rate in the league last year at 33.6%. And so, under new offensive line coach and former NFL guard Chris Kuper, they’re working on a plan for improvement.
Part of that plan would appear to be bringing more power to the interior line. Among the new acquisitions, size, power, and length (Reed excepted) are common traits, while athleticism, which was prioritized in the past, isn’t as much of a priority- but still adequate. And with all the new acquisitions, competition for starting jobs and roster spots should be among the more intense in training camp this year....
More at link.

Part of me would like to think this is possible. Hinton is stout and thick like you'd want your centers to be. Low center of gravity at 6'2". Physically, I like his makeup.

[Image: GS7G65IKYJCWXFUBFGH47X763M.jpg]

But having said this, I think the odds are extremely long. Undrafted to starting center is a big, big hill. Snapping the ball, getting that feel with the QB and then having a big D-lineman on your ass immediately usually is too much for most. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Part of me would like to think this is possible. Hinton is stout and thick like you'd want your centers to be. Low center of gravity at 6'2". Physically, I like his makeup.

[Image: GS7G65IKYJCWXFUBFGH47X763M.jpg]

But having said this, I think the odds are extremely long. Undrafted to starting center is a big, big hill. Snapping the ball, getting that feel with the QB and then having a big D-lineman on your ass immediately usually is too much for most. 
He was actually drafted in the 7th round, but that doesn't change your point. I'd also add that he's not just a low round draft pick, but he's from tiny Washburn U in Topeka....So yeah, going from Washburn to starting NFL center is definitely a long shot, but he's been getting NFL coaching now for two years. If he's going to do anything at all, it will have to be this season. 

The guy has no clue.  He doesn’t understand that Wyatt Davis simply had a conditioning issue all of last football season according to one of our self proclaimed “experts” on here.  

I think a few of us here have been pulling for Hinton for a couple of years.  From an athletic point of view, he is the complete physical package.  He is the paradigm of a late round draft pick -- someone who athletically projects to the NFL but suffered from either poor coaching or poor scheme fit in college.  Now, does he have the necessary instincts -- that is unanswered.  Moreover, did the Zimmer regime do him any good in his development?

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
I think a few of us here have been pulling for Hinton for a couple of years.  From an athletic point of view, he is the complete physical package.  He is the paradigm of a late round draft pick -- someone who athletically projects to the NFL but suffered from either poor coaching or poor scheme fit in college.  Now, does he have the necessary instincts -- that is unanswered.  Moreover, did the Zimmer regime do him any good in his development?
Well, if the following is true, or relevant, I guess we can thank the Zimmer regime for the added 20 lbs. 
"Hinton first arrived in 2020 listed as 6’2”, 295 pounds. He has since put on 20 pounds of muscle, and is now listed at 6’2”, 315 pounds. And he’s built like a brickhouse."

Quote: @"Waterboy" said:
The guy has no clue.  He doesn’t understand that Wyatt Davis simply had a conditioning issue all of last football season according to one of our self proclaimed “experts” on here.  
What about Wyatt Davis?
Wyatt Davis was one of the four Bermuda Triangle third-round picks last season, which included Kellen Mond, Chazz Surratt, Davis and Patrick Jones II. After they were drafted, they were never heard from again, despite not having injuries. Davis played exclusively right guard at OSU and was a highly regarded prospect who fell to the third round largely on injury concerns. But it turned out that Wyatt Davis wasn't even the backup right guard, as Blake Brandel came in instead of him in spot duty relief of Oli Udoh. That only intensified the questions regarding Davis. Was it lingering injury issues that caused him to be buried in the depth chart last season? Was he simply not faring well in competition? Was there some other issue? Is he another in a list of recent OSU interior lineman busts? The only answer right now is that we don’t know.

There had also been rumors that Wyatt Davis was overweight earlier this year, but those rumors appear to be unfounded, based on the above tweet of Davis (#52) at OTAs last week. He looks to be in good shape - if anything lighter than he was last season.
The question then is what does the future hold for Wyatt Davis, and where will he compete this year? Two things worth mentioning were pointed out in his draft profile. One is that he is better suited to inside zone than outside zone, so the Vikings’ scheme change should benefit him in that regard. Secondly, he was said to be a right guard only, and that while intelligent, he lacked the pad level and flexibility to play center. Pad level is fixable, but flexibility - if that is an issue - remains to be seen. But overall Wyatt Davis appears better suited to the Vikings new scheme and has the profile the new coaching staff is looking for. I don’t see a reason for the Vikings to change Davis’ position at this point. Having him compete at his most natural position of right guard makes the most sense in his development.

Now that OTA's are over,  Davis= BUST.