Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I've never seen anything like this"
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:
Feel like it needs to be said — if Moss had half the maturity he seems to possess today during his playing career — oh man!  

This is exactly what I think when I think about him. Randy Moss is my favorite player of all time, but I always think if he had the maturity he does now...how much better could he have been? I think he definitely would have overtaken Rice as the perceived greatest receiver of all time.
Randy definitely had his share of incidents, but he was far more dangerous than Rice was.

What's more, for 15 of 16 seasons in San Francisco, Rice had either Joe Montana or Steve Young throwing him the ball. Those were ridiculously talented rosters on both sides of the ball. Rice's stats benefitted enormously from that. 

Moss was on a good team his rookie season, but it went down hill from there, with Cunningham, Johnson, then Culpepper without a shred of defense.

I think we saw what Moss was truly capable of when he got to play on a good team with a good QB. His first season in New England with Brady, Moss caught 23 TDs. The next season Brady tore his ACL, Cassel came in, and Moss's TD total went from 23 to 11. 

Rice had a "Brady" for 15 straight seasons. 
I agree...but Cunningham, Jeff George, and Daunte Culpepper were pretty good QB's and some of the best deep ball throwers in the league which suited Randy's game. Randy's "play when he wanted to play" kind of dogged him throughout his career and there were literally a couple seasons where his effort and commitment were in serious question. Effort and commitment were Jerry Rice's calling cards. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:
Feel like it needs to be said — if Moss had half the maturity he seems to possess today during his playing career — oh man!  

This is exactly what I think when I think about him. Randy Moss is my favorite player of all time, but I always think if he had the maturity he does now...how much better could he have been? I think he definitely would have overtaken Rice as the perceived greatest receiver of all time.
Randy definitely had his share of incidents, but he was far more dangerous than Rice was.

What's more, for 15 of 16 seasons in San Francisco, Rice had either Joe Montana or Steve Young throwing him the ball. Those were ridiculously talented rosters on both sides of the ball. Rice's stats benefitted enormously from that. 

Moss was on a good team his rookie season, but it went down hill from there, with Cunningham, Johnson, then Culpepper without a shred of defense.

I think we saw what Moss was truly capable of when he got to play on a good team with a good QB. His first season in New England with Brady, Moss caught 23 TDs. The next season Brady tore his ACL, Cassel came in, and Moss's TD total went from 23 to 11. 

I agree...but Cunningham, Jeff George, and Daunte Culpepper were pretty good QB's and some of the best deep ball throwers in the league which suited Randy's game. Randy's "play when he wanted to play" kind of dogged him throughout his career and there were literally a couple seasons where his effort and commitment were in serious question. Effort and commitment were Jerry Rice's calling cards. 
Sure, but those were not balanced teams. '98 was the most balanced team Randy played on while in purple.  

@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:

Sure, but those were not balanced teams. '98 was the most balanced team Randy played on while in purple.  
Yup,

May the Sheriff RIP, but if there was a poster child for HC that tilted towards offense? At the expense of D? It was Denny. 

Randy's best team that he played on was with the Patriots.

Didn’t he run over a cop? Lol he’s my fav player of all time and the reason I’m a Vikings fan but he def had a long string of off-field incidents.

I love the person he’s matured into and it’s a treat listening to his analysis on ESPN. 

@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:

Agreed, but as far as Randy and his own production in Minnesota went, he also played with talented quarterbacks and other playmakers surrounding him on offense. Rice was just the more consistent player longer. But agree that Randy was physically the much more imposing player all around 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
Didn’t he run over a cop? Lol he’s my fav player of all time and the reason I’m a Vikings fan but he def had a long string of off-field incidents.

I love the person he’s matured into and it’s a treat listening to his analysis on ESPN. 
No he did not and that is a good example of how so many things he did were over exaggerated.  He had an over zealous traffic cop who jumped on the hood of his car, she was not entirely acting rationally and totally overreacted to the situation, he was in the wrong as well but at no point was trying to run her over.  

Not to pile on, but there was the incident with the Vikings long-time caterer that got him his ticket out of Minnesota...  I thought it was telling that Belichek gave up on him after the initial honeymoon.  Loved Randy and agree some of the "drama" was media driven and overblown, but what could have been...

@"purplefaithful" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:

Moss certainly had some character issues to overcome and tha'ts why he dropped to us and didnt go top 5 that year. 

But really? How many of us had the maturity in our 20's that we have today? 
Honestly? I wish I had the maturity now that I did in my 20s.  :p 

I think Moss's issues were a little exaggerated. Sure, there was the meter maid thing and the leaving the field thing. No excuse for those. 

But there were some things that were WAY overblown. 

• I play when I want to play - Drives me crazy. He was responding to a question about who motivated him. He just didn't express his answer very well. Self-righteous fans and journalists who get angry about this are buffoons

• Taking plays off - EVERY receiver does this, NEEDS to do this. 

• Shooting the moon - Loved it. Deservedly, Buck has gotten more criticism about his reaction to the act than Moss ever did about the act itself

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but I saw Moss as an immature kid who had an enormous heart and truly, genuinely cared about people...fans, kids, teammates. And that's a rare quality these days. 

Don't forget the massive chip he carried on his shoulder because of that draft thing.  

Moss and Peterson.  Two ultra talents that were something special to watch.  Too bad as pointed out above, they were wasted with our QBs 'talent'.