Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supafreak84 Mock Draft
Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
I think most here are too focused on CB and WR and ignoring all the pass rushing talent in the first couple rounds.  I'd personally hate it if we didn't add a pass rusher in the first two rounds of this draft.
I wouldn't hate it. I think we have plenty of mid-round edge depth, so for me it's a BPA consideration in the 1st or 2nd, but it's off my list after that. 
But is that mid-round depth a fit for a 3-4?  Did any of that mid-round depth play as a standup OLB in college?  Wonnum did, but Willekes and Patrick Jones were DEs in a 4-3.  I don't recall about Robinson...  either way, this team should be looking to add another edge player.  It's one of the deepest groups to come out in awhile, be a shame for the Vikings to not address it in the draft.
Well to be fair, Hunter and Smith never played OLB in college either. I half expected to see some trades as the Vikings mold their roster to fit their scheme. But since this is supposed to be a hybrid--a 34 base, but some 43 as well--it's good to have bigger OLBs who aren't out of place at DE.

I'm fine adding front 7 help, but I think it's more likely 5T than OLB.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
I think most here are too focused on CB and WR and ignoring all the pass rushing talent in the first couple rounds.  I'd personally hate it if we didn't add a pass rusher in the first two rounds of this draft.
I wouldn't hate it. I think we have plenty of mid-round edge depth, so for me it's a BPA consideration in the 1st or 2nd, but it's off my list after that. 
But is that mid-round depth a fit for a 3-4?  Did any of that mid-round depth play as a standup OLB in college?  Wonnum did, but Willekes and Patrick Jones were DEs in a 4-3.  I don't recall about Robinson...  either way, this team should be looking to add another edge player.  It's one of the deepest groups to come out in awhile, be a shame for the Vikings to not address it in the draft.
Well to be fair, Hunter and Smith never played OLB in college either. I half expected to see some trades as the Vikings mold their roster to fit their scheme. But since this is supposed to be a hybrid--a 34 base, but some 43 as well--it's good to have bigger OLBs who aren't out of place at DE.

I'm fine adding front 7 help, but I think it's more likely 5T than OLB.
Right, but my point is, they may not be a fit here any longer with a change in scheme.  Maybe they will be, but all this mid-round depth we have behind Hunter and ZaDarius was drafted within the last two years by a different FO and coaching staff. We can't just assume Kwesi and O'Connell will keep all of our recent draft picks on the roster.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I like some of the players you grab. I am fine with Williams and his ACL. Only question is, do you take the 2nd round pick this year or ask Pit for the QB tax of a future 1st instead? 

Great point, there is certainly some precedent for that and yes much rather have the 1st next year. I think the Vikings are in a good spot if one of those two QB's slips to them at #12 as far as trade down options. I would think teams want to get ahead of Houston and the Saints with those two 1st round picks. 

Geoff, what are your thoughts on Woolen?
I like him, but not for the Vikings. I don't think he is going to end up playing very early on since he is so raw as a CB. He is raw to the point that he doesn't even really have tackling down quite yet. But the athlete and testing numbers paired with the size is insane. He is worth a shot if you need a CB3/4 and can spend more time working with him. I feel like he'd be rushed here. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I like some of the players you grab. I am fine with Williams and his ACL. Only question is, do you take the 2nd round pick this year or ask Pit for the QB tax of a future 1st instead? 

Great point, there is certainly some precedent for that and yes much rather have the 1st next year. I think the Vikings are in a good spot if one of those two QB's slips to them at #12 as far as trade down options. I would think teams want to get ahead of Houston and the Saints with those two 1st round picks. 

I like him, but not for the Vikings. I don't think he is going to end up playing very early on since he is so raw as a CB. He is raw to the point that he doesn't even really have tackling down quite yet. But the athlete and testing numbers paired with the size is insane. He is worth a shot if you need a CB3/4 and can spend more time working with him. I feel like he'd be rushed here. 

I thought his ability to come up and stick in run support was actually pretty good based on video I've seen. But yeah he is raw, but that athleticism is rare.

Any corners you really like in that second or third round range if we went in another direction with out 1st round pick? 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I thought his ability to come up and stick in run support was actually pretty good based on video I've seen. But yeah he is raw, but that athleticism is rare.

Any corners you really like in that second or third round range if we went in another direction with out 1st round pick? 
I'll give you a hot take: Cam Taylor-Britt in the right system (he fits the Vikings) has just as good of a shot to start and be a high-end starter as any of the players in the 1st round. 

@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I'll give you a hot take: Cam Taylor-Britt in the right system (he fits the Vikings) has just as good of a shot to start and be a high-end starter as any of the players in the 1st round. 

I like it! 

@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

This is a HOT take. As a Husker fan he definitely made a lot of splash plays, both good and bad. With some better coaching maybe he can eliminate the bonehead mistakes because you’re right he can be a game changer with some of the big plays he makes. Interesting to see you bring him up. 

Let my give you another name, Zyon McCollum from Sam Houston State. Starting to get a lot of second round projections on him. 6'2"/200 corner ran 4.33 at the combine with a 39.5 inch vertical. 13 career interceptions and six forced fumbles. Knows how to create turnovers. 

There are just a lot of interesting cornerbacks in this second and third round range. Again, if Sauce and Stingley are off the board at #12 then I'm taking a premium player at another position and adding corner depth in the second round and beyond