Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barnes visiting the Vikings...
Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
troy williamson was wicked fast as well... how did that turn out?  Lots of fast guys in the game,  not a lot of them are good enough at football to really be considered a pro.
THANK YOU !

Watch tape - Combine numbers dont mean $ - - t

How many times in a football game do you run straight for 40 yards.
And the pads affect some guys different than others,  give me full pads for the drills and put more emphasis on the short area speed drills,  those mean a lot more to the real game then straight line speed.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
troy williamson was wicked fast as well... how did that turn out?  Lots of fast guys in the game,  not a lot of them are good enough at football to really be considered a pro.
THANK YOU !

And the pads affect some guys different than others,  give me full pads for the drills and put more emphasis on the short area speed drills,  those mean a lot more to the real game then straight line speed.
AGAIN right on the money.

There are so many technical skills that DONT show when you are in shorts...

Youve gotta strap it up.

Ill speak strictly O line as an example. are hands inside? thumbs up? leveraging pads? can they change their opponents spine angle? keeping pads parallel? how does he re-fit?
How do they engage with a rip? can they make the right line calls? ID the MDM, recognize stunts / twists, pull and hit? chip and get to the second level? how are their “high hat” “low hat” skills? is their set-up tipping run, pass, or pull?

On and On....

but yeah - running in a straight line is important.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
THANK YOU !

AGAIN right on the money.

There are so many technical skills that DONT show when you are in shorts...

Youve gotta strap it up.

Ill speak strictly O line as an example. are hands inside? thumbs up? leveraging pads? can they change their opponents spine angle? keeping pads parallel? how does he re-fit?
How do they engage with a rip? can they make the right line calls? ID the MDM, recognize stunts / twists, pull and hit? chip and get to the second level? how are their “high hat” “low hat” skills? is their set-up tipping run, pass, or pull?

On and On....

but yeah - running in a straight line is important.

I think it was leber saying yesterday that pro days are more informative than the combine, maybe 8n so.e cases i would agree, but I have to think a pro day would be designed to showcase the given athletes strengths and try and hide their weaknesses since the agents and colleges design/run those shows.

I have to think the bust rate would be lower if the players were put through drills designed by modern scouts and coaches in full pads.

Not surprisingly, the fans of the team that drafted Troy Williamson in the top 10 are not impressed by mere speed. We are agreed on that.  But these Baylor guys may be worth a shot in the 6th and 7th rounds. Is Barnes' problem one of technique? Something that can be taught or corrected?  Or does he have other issues that give him a pretty low ceiling? Doesn't hurt to bring him in for a meeting.