@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Nice work. I like the Deshon Elliot idea. We're all just assuming that Bynum is going to be the kind of player he flashed in glimpses last year. I hope so. But even if he is, Harry is 33. 

I don't think we want to add even more youth and inexperience onto the NFL's youngest line. Fill RG with a vet, a journeyman to compete with Wyatt Davis. But, y'know, someone with knees. Then draft the best CB available between Mac Junior and Sauce.  One will certainly be there. 

There are just four premium positions in the NFL and corner is one of them. Don't overthink this. Draft the goddamn corner. Edge is an option only if we sign an under-30, UFA starting outside corner in free agency. But even then, the edge you draft is going to spend a lot of time on the bench. That bang falls short of the buck for a win-now team. 
There are not too many under 30 corners remaining in free agency that are good though. Is Kevin King good enough?  I think that with Dantzler being 24 and Sullivan being 26 when the season starts, having one experienced veteran corner is not the worst thing.

I also do not think that a first round corner is a necessity.  Drafting for need is the worst philosophy IMHO.  That is how the team got Bradbury and Treadwell.  It also got them Jefferson though.

I thin Gardner is OK but he faced hardly any draft-able receivers.  He did face Alabama but who else did he face that got or is getting drafted?

Stingley has the tools but missed a lot of time.

I never pigeonhole myself into one position for any draft.

And to that very point, wouldn't the Vikings be awfully tempted if Olave, Wilson, Burks @ WR were there at 12?

I've been saying that depending on how the board falls...I could see us going with a WR. We are going to be employing more multiple WR sets under KOC and Thielen is 32, has missed games due to injury the last couple years, and his stats are way down. It's probably going to be his last year in Minnesota. I'm not sold on Osborne as a starting or full time outside WR and our depth is paper thin. Look at what Jamar Chase did for that Bengals offense coming in as a 3rd WR. I'd take one of those receivers before I'd take any CB not named Sauce or Stingley.
Its quite likely that I’d need a new TV if we went WR. 
I'll bet we could find a similar quote somewhere in Dan Hildreth's Olde Viking board from 98 too...

yah, yah I know Moss ended up a HOF'er and wasn't drafted till like 21 - but you get the point. 

Moss/Carter/Reid reignited a sleepy Vikings franchise for the next 6/7 years. 

People use Moss as a defense for BPA. But Moss was an outlier--a team taking advantage of a big mistake the NFL was making. Typically, the players you're choosing from are very closely ranked regardless of their position, so you draft the position you need the most. BPA is mostly a myth outside of the top 5-ish. 

So yeah, if Aidan Hutchinson drops to 12, I will not argue against taking him. B)
More realistically, if Kyle Hamilton drops to #12.. Although unlikely its a scenario that could play out. 

At that point you need to ask positional value aside, does he make the secondary better? Yes. Take a potential all pro. 

I've been wondering about Hamilton potentially dropping based on his position and slower then expected 40 time, and although not a huge need, the Vikings would almost have to take him. I'm a believer in never taking a safety in the 1st round unless it's a Sean Taylor talent. Hamilton isn't Sean Taylor...but he isn't that far off either. That would be an interesting situation if he dropped that far.
It's at least one to be prepared for, even as unlikely as it us. When push comes to shove, he isn't a CB but he makes the secondary better since its the sum of parts. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Nice work. I like the Deshon Elliot idea. We're all just assuming that Bynum is going to be the kind of player he flashed in glimpses last year. I hope so. But even if he is, Harry is 33. 

I don't think we want to add even more youth and inexperience onto the NFL's youngest line. Fill RG with a vet, a journeyman to compete with Wyatt Davis. But, y'know, someone with knees. Then draft the best CB available between Mac Junior and Sauce.  One will certainly be there. 

There are just four premium positions in the NFL and corner is one of them. Don't overthink this. Draft the goddamn corner. Edge is an option only if we sign an under-30, UFA starting outside corner in free agency. But even then, the edge you draft is going to spend a lot of time on the bench. That bang falls short of the buck for a win-now team. 
There are not too many under 30 corners remaining in free agency that are good though. Is Kevin King good enough?  I think that with Dantzler being 24 and Sullivan being 26 when the season starts, having one experienced veteran corner is not the worst thing.

I also do not think that a first round corner is a necessity.  Drafting for need is the worst philosophy IMHO.  That is how the team got Bradbury and Treadwell.  It also got them Jefferson though.

I thin Gardner is OK but he faced hardly any draft-able receivers.  He did face Alabama but who else did he face that got or is getting drafted?

And to that very point, wouldn't the Vikings be awfully tempted if Olave, Wilson, Burks @ WR were there at 12?

I've been saying that depending on how the board falls...I could see us going with a WR. We are going to be employing more multiple WR sets under KOC and Thielen is 32, has missed games due to injury the last couple years, and his stats are way down. It's probably going to be his last year in Minnesota. I'm not sold on Osborne as a starting or full time outside WR and our depth is paper thin. Look at what Jamar Chase did for that Bengals offense coming in as a 3rd WR. I'd take one of those receivers before I'd take any CB not named Sauce or Stingley.
I'll bet we could find a similar quote somewhere in Dan Hildreth's Olde Viking board from 98 too...

yah, yah I know Moss ended up a HOF'er and wasn't drafted till like 21 - but you get the point. 

People use Moss as a defense for BPA. But Moss was an outlier--a team taking advantage of a big mistake the NFL was making. Typically, the players you're choosing from are very closely ranked regardless of their position, so you draft the position you need the most. BPA is mostly a myth outside of the top 5-ish. 

So yeah, if Aidan Hutchinson drops to 12, I will not argue against taking him. B)
More realistically, if Kyle Hamilton drops to #12.. Although unlikely its a scenario that could play out. 

At that point you need to ask positional value aside, does he make the secondary better? Yes. Take a potential all pro. 

I've been wondering about Hamilton potentially dropping based on his position and slower then expected 40 time, and although not a huge need, the Vikings would almost have to take him. I'm a believer in never taking a safety in the 1st round unless it's a Sean Taylor talent. Hamilton isn't Sean Taylor...but he isn't that far off either. That would be an interesting situation if he dropped that far.
It's at least one to be prepared for, even as unlikely as it us. When push comes to shove, he isn't a CB but he makes the secondary better since its the sum of parts. 

Yeah, if we get a shot at Hamilton at 12, I'm good.  I doubt he'll be there but if it rolled that way I'd be fine.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@MaroonBells said:

He's a top 10 ranked player for sure but you see him ranked anywhere from first overall to tenth. I think depending on team need and if a couple of those QB's get pushed up the board earlier than expected...he might still be sitting there at 12. 

A little food for thought but if we DONT beat the Bears in the final game in an absolutely meaningless matchup we probably aren't on the outside looking in when it comes to some of these players including Hamilton, Sauce and a couple of the elite edge guys. I'd like our draft positioning a lot more had we lost that game. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@MaroonBells said:

He's a top 10 ranked player for sure but you see him ranked anywhere from first overall to tenth. I think depending on team need and if a couple of those QB's get pushed up the board earlier than expected...he might still be sitting there at 12. 

A little food for thought but if we DONT beat the Bears in the final game in an absolutely meaningless matchup we probably aren't on the outside looking in when it comes to some of these players including Hamilton, Sauce and a couple of the elite edge guys. I'd like our draft positioning a lot more had we lost that game. 
De-Ja-Vu...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@MaroonBells said:

De-Ja-Vu...

Not quite as bad as the Vikings winning a meaningless game Christmas eve in Washington and missing out on the first overall pick when it was Andrew Luck, but yeah the Vikings notoriously win meaningless games when it's not in their best interest to do so and this was just the latest example. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@MaroonBells said:

De-Ja-Vu...

Not quite as bad as the Vikings winning a meaningless game Christmas eve in Washington and missing out on the first overall pick when it was Andrew Luck, but yeah the Vikings notoriously win meaningless games when it's not in their best interest to do so and this was just the latest example. 
Its the cancerous side of being mediocre...

A run on OTackles (3x) and a QB (Willis) and WR (Wilson) would push some serious defensive talent to 12:

Thib, Walker, Hutchinson, Sauce, Stingley, Davis, Hamilton, Karlaftis, Johnson II

One if not two would be available at 12.

My belief is that Johnson II, Davis, and Stingley will be there at 12, which means, could we make a deal to 14 to Baltimore (DL targets) grabbing a 3rd in exchange.

At 14 we get who's left (Stingley) and added another player in the top 115 picks

Quote: @Skodin said:
A run on OTackles (3x) and a QB (Willis) and WR (Wilson) would push some serious defensive talent to 12:

Thib, Walker, Hutchinson, Sauce, Stingley, Davis, Hamilton, Karlaftis, Johnson II

One if not two would be available at 12.

My belief is that Johnson II, Davis, and Stingley will be there at 12, which means, could we make a deal to 14 to Baltimore (DL targets) grabbing a 3rd in exchange.

At 14 we get who's left (Stingley) and added another player in the top 115 picks
Stingley is a top 7 imo if medicals are good...