Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency Day Two
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@Greylock said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
Anthony Barr returning to Minnesota? We hear it is a good possibility - an surprising as he makes too much for this roster unless he is finally going to be used as a pass rush playmaker in a 3-4 defense. Let's see what happens.
If you just crawled out from under a rock you would think Rick was still in charge of the team.  Pretty much inactive in the first two days of free agency.   Extend Cousins contract, then sign a defensive tackle for the third year in a row.  The possible return of Sean Mannion and Anthony Barr.  Somewhere Dakota Dozier is holed up in a Minneapolis hotel room waiting for a call back.  No wonder they say the more things change the more they stay the same.

What did you really expect?  New management starting out with a blown out of portion cap.  Even with restructured contracts and releasing overpaid players, there's still only limited funds.  This is not an overnight project we're looking at.  Visibly results are probably a couple years down the road.

in the Not For Long league you dont get years to show results,  you need to show a direction change  from a failed direction,  ASAP.  Imagine being in USB next fall and watching the team lose 36 to 32 in a game where the defense had no clue once again,  and the offense had chances but the OL didnt hold up.  That is what people are seeing right now.  I can live with mediocrity or even losing,  but I need to see that i may lead to something.  We've already been on the only a QB away from winning with this roster train.

I understand all that.  But I don't see another Minneapolis Miracle hanging around the corner.  I'd first like to see the new management handles things team wise before passing judgement.  Right now it's to soon to tell what direction this team is going.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@Greylock said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
Anthony Barr returning to Minnesota? We hear it is a good possibility - an surprising as he makes too much for this roster unless he is finally going to be used as a pass rush playmaker in a 3-4 defense. Let's see what happens.
If you just crawled out from under a rock you would think Rick was still in charge of the team.  Pretty much inactive in the first two days of free agency.   Extend Cousins contract, then sign a defensive tackle for the third year in a row.  The possible return of Sean Mannion and Anthony Barr.  Somewhere Dakota Dozier is holed up in a Minneapolis hotel room waiting for a call back.  No wonder they say the more things change the more they stay the same.

What did you really expect?  New management starting out with a blown out of portion cap.  Even with restructured contracts and releasing overpaid players, there's still only limited funds.  This is not an overnight project we're looking at.  Visibly results are probably a couple years down the road.

in the Not For Long league you dont get years to show results,  you need to show a direction change  from a failed direction,  ASAP.  Imagine being in USB next fall and watching the team lose 36 to 32 in a game where the defense had no clue once again,  and the offense had chances but the OL didnt hold up.  That is what people are seeing right now.  I can live with mediocrity or even losing,  but I need to see that i may lead to something.  We've already been on the only a QB away from winning with this roster train.

I understand all that.  But I don't see another Minneapolis Miracle hanging around the corner.  I'd first like to see the new management handles things team wise before passing judgement.  Right now it's to soon to tell what direction this team is going.

It's pretty easy to see right now, they are bringing the old ( and I mean old) team back for another round because 20 and 21 weren't enough.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Jordan Hicks? Ugh...that dude is not very good
I have no clue what analytics led to this decision but an average LB for 5M per year when you are tight against the cap and need to sign some cornerbacks too?

You can get a Nick Vigil who had a better coverage grade (if you believe in the PFF grades) than Hicks.  

I mean, I guess it is OK but what about Dye and Surratt?

Shaq Mason (the #4 rated guard last year) goes for a 5th and has salaries of 6.5 and 7.5M the next two years and Kwesi could not get in on that action?  Would not surprise me if he had no clue about it to be honest.  Many other GMs probably did not either though.

Still, if you are going to continue to give Kirk freakin Cousins money, then why not give him the most best protection possible so that he does not have to move (he already barely moves).

I guess more moves are coming or they will draft a guard early.

I would have tried to sign a guard and draft a LB early.
Hard to get aggressive in FA when you dont have your cap figured out when FA starts.  I am sure they will field some sort of team but this is so Vikingesque to get the fans excited and then.........

Not a great start to free agency when IMO they lost on the Cousins extension, are essentially swapping Pierce for Phillips, and the other marquee signing is a MLB when they just drafted Surratt last year in the 3rd round. Somebody wake me when the Wallstreet dynamo does something to improve the roster.
I am not ready to condemn the kid yet,  but I was hoping that we would see him put some sort of stamp on this team and to date its been Rick 2.0,  with the exception that he has likely spoken to his HC in the last month.  I still think that he could be good for the team,  and honestly I wonder how much influence the wilfs have had on things thus far.  Poles is tearin shit down in Chicago and maybe that is why he chose that job over the Vikes is he more proactive and KAM is more of a massage it kind of guy which fits what the wilfs wanted?

Well the Zulgad report certainly concerns me if they had a good trade offer for Cousins that they took to the Wilfs to sign off on and they wouldn't because they didn't have a "backup plan at QB." The Wilfs are great businessmen but they are fans like the rest of us and should leave the football operations for Kwesi to do what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. 

This is why I was hoping Geoff might be able to clarify this, and just what the trade offer was exactly..?

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@TBro said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

[Image: dBD2A6j6_bigger.jpg]
Jordan Hicks, who turns 30 this summer, started all 49 games for the Cardinals over the last three years, with 116+ tackles every season. 89 total starts in his career. A versatile player and leader who can tackle and cover.
Arif over at the Athletic thought we got him at a bargain price. He fits the mold of an athletic, high performing LB that we didn't have to overpay for.  Paraphrasing Arif, Hicks fits the LB type that the Vic Fangio-Brandon Staley scheme calls for that Donatell will run.  
Did he say it in less than 5000 words?
That's a tough call. I wouldn't bet any money on it. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Jordan Hicks? Ugh...that dude is not very good
I have no clue what analytics led to this decision but an average LB for 5M per year when you are tight against the cap and need to sign some cornerbacks too?

You can get a Nick Vigil who had a better coverage grade (if you believe in the PFF grades) than Hicks.  

I mean, I guess it is OK but what about Dye and Surratt?

Shaq Mason (the #4 rated guard last year) goes for a 5th and has salaries of 6.5 and 7.5M the next two years and Kwesi could not get in on that action?  Would not surprise me if he had no clue about it to be honest.  Many other GMs probably did not either though.

Still, if you are going to continue to give Kirk freakin Cousins money, then why not give him the most best protection possible so that he does not have to move (he already barely moves).

I guess more moves are coming or they will draft a guard early.

I would have tried to sign a guard and draft a LB early.
Hard to get aggressive in FA when you dont have your cap figured out when FA starts.  I am sure they will field some sort of team but this is so Vikingesque to get the fans excited and then.........

Not a great start to free agency when IMO they lost on the Cousins extension, are essentially swapping Pierce for Phillips, and the other marquee signing is a MLB when they just drafted Surratt last year in the 3rd round. Somebody wake me when the Wallstreet dynamo does something to improve the roster.
I am not ready to condemn the kid yet,  but I was hoping that we would see him put some sort of stamp on this team and to date its been Rick 2.0,  with the exception that he has likely spoken to his HC in the last month.  I still think that he could be good for the team,  and honestly I wonder how much influence the wilfs have had on things thus far.  Poles is tearin shit down in Chicago and maybe that is why he chose that job over the Vikes is he more proactive and KAM is more of a massage it kind of guy which fits what the wilfs wanted?

Well the Zulgad report certainly concerns me if they had a good trade offer for Cousins that they took to the Wilfs to sign off on and they wouldn't because they didn't have a "backup plan at QB." The Wilfs are great businessmen but they are fans like the rest of us and should leave the football operations for Kwesi to do what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. 

This is why I was hoping Geoff might be able to clarify this, and just what the trade offer was exactly..?
[Image: FN2Tc-jXsAINuEk?format=jpg&name=large]
So why would Chandler Jones be posting this on Instagram? Would you step back from the ledge if Kwesi can make this happen?

Quote: @TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

[Image: FN2Tc-jXsAINuEk?format=jpg&name=large]
So why would Chandler Jones be posting this on Instagram? Would you step back from the ledge if Kwesi can make this happen?
Chandler Jones would be nice but he is 32 and less productive/injured some the last 2 years.  Still, he is still pretty good and I think has mostly played in a 3-4 which would be nice experience. 

But our interest in Jones might be an older band aide if we trade 26 year old Hunter.  

[Image: b0vgstc9p1uh.png]
Randy Gregory arrives to the Broncos in his new whip…  Wink :p