Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ways to save money and create space
If you need to save money. prepare for a life without wheat. Holy smokes. Going to be $40/bu by tomorrow. 

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@dadevike said:
@Kentis said:
@VikingOracle said:
@Kentis said:
Creating cap space is based on both the ability & willingness of an owner to whip out his checkbook & write massive checks…! Quote/unquote simple restructures are expensive!
In the cases above, the Wilfs are paying the same sum on the same day but simply reclassifying it for salary cap purposes.  The other option is simply to cut them before the sums come due.

True, but in some cases the team does not truly intend to pay large roster bonuses,
but rather to create a virtual deadline by which a team will either cut the player or renegotiate their contract. Which, as I said involves writing big checks…
Sure, if the Vikings do not intend to pay Hunter this year, they can cut him or trade him. But if they do intend to pay him, they can change the roster bonus to a signing bonus and spread that over the remaining yeas of his contract. That might change the timing of the payment but not the amount. And it reduces his cap number for this year. I think that is all the OP is saying.

And they do not have to stop with Hunter and Smith. I suspect Thielen may be eligible for this as well.
As I recall, Brez usually builds in all these large payments the option to characterize them as a roster bonus or a signing bonus.  The amount still get paid on the same day but for salary caps purposes it is accounted for differently.  Vikings don't even have to approach the player to change characterization and player still gets all his money on the same day.

Now, you are correct that there are certain (let's call them "balloon") payments that the team may decide to avoid by cutting the player and the player wants those balloon payments scheduled as early in the league year so, if they are cur, there is still free agent money around for the player. 
When your yearly revenue is nearly $500M, I doubt you care much about which column you're throwing $10M or $20M into, as long as the number on the bottom line doesn't change.