Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thielen on roster adjustments
"Judged" is a funny word.  The fact that we are discussing his contract and motivations shows we are judging him -- for better or worse.  If he takes every cent he can, SB is judging him as making a reasonable, professional decision and that does not make him a "bad guy" (personally, I don't think anyone would judge KC as a bad guy).  Others, like myself, think as some point people like KC should look towards his legacy.  I think there is value in legacy.  I think for most of us there are a lot of factors that go into making a job decision -- there is a risk assessment, location, culture, money, security, etc.  The judgement comes in when someone makes a decision and we can assess or judge what that person values in choosing a particular job. 

The way I think about it is related to working in LA -- Netflix offers the most money but a very different culture; Amazon offers the most upside in stock but a lower base salary; Disney offers an old fashion, risk-adverse culture; Viacom a more family oriented culture; Fox (what remains) offers a very different work culture (not risk-adverse) culture and high pay. 

What I am saying is where you choose to work reflects a choice you have made and, to a certain extent, you are judged by all your decisions.  For instance, assume you have lived in Minn. your entire life and your family lives in Minn. and you suddenly take a job in Detroit -- wouldn't you be judged, good or bad, for moving away to Detroit?

So, whatever Cousins decides will be subject to a judgement by us -- just like what the Vikings decide to do with Cousins will be judged by us.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I could see the Vikes adding a couple of non-guaranteed years to the contract with next year's (2023-24) salary being huge and will become guaranteed on the 3rd day of the year league.  That will force the Vikes to cut Cousins but allow the Vikes to lower the cap hit this year.  It will have two bad results -- dead money for a couple of years and a lost compensation pick (because the Vikes cut Cousins) but will lower the cap hit this year (depending upon how much of this years salary is converted to a signing bonus). 
Based on past contracts that Kirk has signed, adding a couple of non-guaranteed years would most likely be off the table.  He just doesn't seem like the type of guy that would be able to play with those type of contract terms.

Quote: @Greylock said:
@VikingOracle said:
I could see the Vikes adding a couple of non-guaranteed years to the contract with next year's (2023-24) salary being huge and will become guaranteed on the 3rd day of the year league.  That will force the Vikes to cut Cousins but allow the Vikes to lower the cap hit this year.  It will have two bad results -- dead money for a couple of years and a lost compensation pick (because the Vikes cut Cousins) but will lower the cap hit this year (depending upon how much of this years salary is converted to a signing bonus). 
Based on past contracts that Kirk has signed, adding a couple of non-guaranteed years would most likely be off the table.  He just doesn't seem like the type of guy that would be able to play with those type of contract terms.
If the 23-24 contract had a non-guaranteed salary of 70 million that becomes guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year, Cousins could go for it.  He is offering the Vikings some salary cap relief this year and gaining leverage or being cut next year.   He is not losing a cent in salary from the Vikings and still becomes a free agent next year because the Vikings have to cut him (or negotiate a new contract).