Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL games in Germany
Quote: @"GermanVike" said:
@"JR44" said:
I don't understand why they can't play pre season games there, it will still serve the greedy intent of the NFL.  It is not fair to the teams who have to travel and especially the team who loses a home game.  I don't see the NFL going to play games in US cities that do not have an NFL team to provide those fans with a chance to see a live game.  
Because we (and the NFL) want meaningful games over here now, it's that simple. Preseason doesn't cut it anymore for most of the local fans. Nowadays many people here are follwing the NFL as closely as you guys (I have been for almost 25 years now).

Both Munich and Frankfurt are only about a 2.5 hour drive from my home in Stuttgart, so I'll probably try to get a ticket or two if the teams will be intriguing to me...

FWIW: The teams that the NFL has given access to "International Home Marketing Areas" in Germany are the Chiefs, the Bucs, the Panthers and the Patriots. The Chiefs also have some sort of "partnership" going on with the biggest German soccer club FC Bayern München, so early speculations are that the Chiefs might play the Bucs (who would be the host) in Munich this year.
Or you might have just named the 4 home teams for games over the next 4 years and you will see 4 additional "away" teams.  This way the NFL gets to create a fan base with the 4 home teams and doesn't burn their drawing potential by having them be an away team against a team that already should have developed a local following.

There's 17 games in a season.  Make it 8 home - 8 away - 1 neutral

The current plan of having some teams have 9 home games and some having 8 is more screwed up

Quote: @"medaille" said:

The current plan of having some teams have 9 home games and some having 8 is more screwed up
fuck it,  send all the teams to europe or asia for a mid season thing annually,  games in 16 foreign cities,  all the same week,  that way no 2 teams are hurt more than any other in terms of travel lag and prep time.  give everybody a week off when they get home and then back at.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"medaille" said:

fuck it,  send all the teams to europe or asia for a mid season thing annually,  games in 16 foreign cities,  all the same week,  that way no 2 teams are hurt more than any other in terms of travel lag and prep time.  give everybody a week off when they get home and then back at.
Seems to me the fairest answer is every team has an international game.  That solves the lost home game as well. 

8 home games
8 away games
1 international game with the bye week happening either infront of or behind the game.