Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: am I only one noticing every commercial uses songs
from back in the day? wether a 50’s, 60’s song or my 70’s and 80’s music to promote shit, its always stuff from way way back in the day!! I think it proves my thoughts that current music (at least past 20+ years) sucks ass. Advertising has no choice bit to reach back and use music that had great lyrics, great rhythm and said something with yhe music etc etc. I know im annold fart, but come on, whats with using all our older generations tunes for advertising??!! These kids have NO idea what they are listening to! ((Inthink lolo) LOL! Cuz our music was THE BEST  and everything today is lame and lifeless. Yes, im that old man yelling at the youngsters that their music sucks!! But seriously, rant aside, anyone else notice the HuGE increase in old rock tunes from 70’s and 80’s? is it just me? 

Artists are offering up their songs more now as they don't make as much money as they used to because of apps like Spotify, Pandora, etc. and digital music downloads don't pay like albums, cassettes and CDs used to. Before they didn't need to, now they kind of do.....its also why you see songs that are new being used in commercials as well. 

Hearing Zeppelin on an elevator one day freaked me out...

I grew up with the Pink Floyd, Stones, Animals, Kinks, Grateful Dead, Lynyrd Skynrd etc..

But I completely disagree that the music today sucks; Billie Eilish, Leon Bridges, Lizzo, Swift, Beck, Olivia Rodrigo, Tame Impala, Glass Animals are putting out wonderful music. 

Products use songs their target audience identifies with. If you're hearing nothing but older songs, it's because you're older and you're watching programs the agency who placed the ads predicted you would. 

Also, many young artists just don't allow their music to be used in a commercial. It's considered a sellout. Older, no longer relevant artists, care less about that sort of thing. Money plays a big part, too. Agencies will use older songs simply because they're cheaper. There are obvious exceptions. U2, Beatles, Stones.

But it's mostly about the product, its "brand" and the emotional response the agency wants you to experience when you're exposed to it. 

One of the songs on my playlist is Saltwater by Geowulf. I'm having a dinner party, song comes on and a friend goes "I'm thirsty for a Corona!" I had no idea it was being used in a commercial, but sure enough. Think the target here is old fogies like us? 

To follow up MB's comment:

[Image: tuzya4189n0y.png]

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
To follow up MB's comment:

[Image: tuzya4189n0y.png]
Pink stinks!

Reaching out to the REAL OLD age group

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
Reaching out to the REAL OLD age group

Love it. Apple's always been very good and matching music to message.

Here's my favorite ad of all time. After seeing this several years ago, I searched for weeks to find this song. But it was written specifically for the ad and there isn't an extended version of it. So I made one in an audio editing app and have since used it in several presentations.