Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notes on the HC search
Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
After saying yes to interviews with the Jaguars and Bears, Jim Caldwell reportedly said no to interviews with the Vikings and Raiders.
Said no to the 2 best jobs available and yes to the 2 worst jobs. Interesting. Playing the odds. 

Might be intrigued by the two young QB's. That would be my guess.
Has to be the QBs. Chicago and Jax have just toxic owners and FO. Incompetent. 

Dan Quinn would be perfect for the Vikings. Already has a history of choking. BLEH. Give me something new. (Unless it is Doug Pederson)

I don't understand why Dan Quinn is so high on their list? He did have some early success with Atlanta, but he already had a QB and was not able to build any sort of sustained success. He only had two years of having a good scoring defense in Atlanta. Maybe the "it" factor comes across better in interviews, but I always thought of him as a very mediocre HC and I was never blown away by his teams in Atlanta.

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
Dan Quinn would be perfect for the Vikings. Already has a history of choking himself. BLEH. Give me something new. (Unless it is Doug Pederson)
Choking himself?

Did he have a lemon in his mouth too?

Quote: @"Tyr" said:
I don't understand why Dan Quinn is so high on their list? He did have some early success with Atlanta, but he already had a QB and was not able to build any sort of sustained success. He only had two years of having a good scoring defense in Atlanta. Maybe the "it" factor comes across better in interviews, but I always thought of him as a very mediocre HC and I was never blown away by his teams in Atlanta.
If mediocre is winning a Super Bowl as a DC due to having the best defense in the league and then taking a team to the Super Bowl in your 2nd year as HC then sign me up!  Quinn and the Falcons never recovered from losing the Super Bowl after having it in hand, but former HCs have shown to have great success their 2nd time around after the opportunity to learn from their mistakes.  I think he is far and away the best HC candidate out there.

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"Tyr" said:
If mediocre is winning a Super Bowl as a DC due to having the best defense in the league and then taking a team to the Super Bowl in your 2nd year as HC then sign me up!  Quinn and the Falcons never recovered from losing the Super Bowl after having it in hand, but former HCs have shown to have great success their 2nd time around after the opportunity to learn from their mistakes.  I think he is far and away the best HC candidate out there.
Yep, Dan Quinn is a very good HC candidate. Some fans that want completely new guys that have never done it before, careful what you wish for. Not saying its the wrong way to go, I'm saying some good HCs can get it done better the second time around. Jim Caldwell as well. 

"Two names mentioned that aren't on the Vikings' current list: Lions DC Aaron Glenn and Iowa State HC Matt Campbell."

That is just a weird statement/observation.  Were they mentioned as two coaches the Vikings aren't interested in interviewing -- that would be 2 of many, many coordinators and college coaches.  It is really the most empty statement ever to masquerade as news.

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"Tyr" said:
Quinn is a worthy candidate but let's not act like he's the reason the Seahawks Defense was great. When he/they won the Super Bowl they were #1 scoring defense. The year before he got there? Also #1. Year before that? #7.

The year the Falcons lost in the Super Bowl they had Kyle Shannahan as OC and were the #1 scoring offense. The defense that year? 27th. While he was at Atlanta they ranked in the 10 top for scoring defense only once.

He's had success and has been an HC for several years so the experience is great, but I will give the credit to Shannahan and not Quinn for the Falcons success. Quinn deserves credit for the Seahawks Defense and winning the Super Bowl but again, they were good before he got there.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JR44" said:
@"Tyr" said:
Quinn is a worthy candidate but let's not act like he's the reason the Seahawks Defense was great. When he/they won the Super Bowl they were #1 scoring defense. The year before he got there? Also #1. Year before that? #7.

The year the Falcons lost in the Super Bowl they had Kyle Shannahan as OC and were the #1 scoring offense. The defense that year? 27th. While he was at Atlanta they ranked in the 10 top for scoring defense only once.

He's had success and has been an HC for several years so the experience is great, but I will give the credit to Shannahan and not Quinn for the Falcons success. Quinn deserves credit for the Seahawks Defense and winning the Super Bowl but again, they were good before he got there.
Hawkvike25 good observations on Quinn, but let's go back even further in Football history. Pete Carroll and Belichick are Monte Kiffin disciples and to not give any credit to Carroll for building the Seattle Legion of Boom defense and the success that came with it would be a disservice. I think Quinn is just an average coach who has had good defensive talent to work with in Seattle, Atlanta, and Dallas paired with good QB's and explposive offenses. I just don't see the "it" factor with him. Of all the retreads that intrigue me the most, Raheem Morris is growing on me every day if you want to go in that direction because he's had success coaching on both sides of the ball. I still want a HC who brings his own Offensive System to the team. As mentioned by other posters on this thread, there are just fewer disruptions to the team if you have a consistent system from year to year for your QB to run. Cousins is a perfect example of what that looks like when you are turning over coordinators and systems every year.