Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts of 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel for HC?
Good article on him: https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118...nning-game

He might be just what we need for our Offense to really take off - not that we were horrible, but dang i think he could be a great HC for us. Thoughts?

Seems like a tall task for a first year OC who doesn't call plays. I'm all for youth minds but this is too much for me

Yeah hiring an offensive coordinator who doesn't call his own plays is how we ended up with Childress and his "kick ass offense." It's why I want nothing to do with Bienemy and think the same would apply here 

McDaniel - 38 years old - started as an intern for Mike Shanahan - Broncos in 2005 and numerous offensive positions along the way with various teams - finishing first year as an OC.  Never played unlike Moore fwiw.

Kellen Moore - 33 years old - 5 year NFL QB Lions/Cowboys    2018 Cowboys QB Coach     2019 until now OC so finishing up his 3rd year. 
 I was looking up TD's scored since Moore became OC and Dallas went from around 20th in 2018 to 6th his first year of 2019.  Then back down to 17 with Dak hurt and the likes of Cooper Rush who I'm sure we never heard of.  This year 2021 stats, Cowboys top TD scoring team just ahead of Buccs.  

McDaniel - 49'ers went from 45 TD's in 2020 to 5O this year.

Daboll - Bills - 46 years old - hired as OC in 2018 so just finishing up his 4th year with Josh Allen at QB.  2018 - finished 30th w/29 TD's, then 22nd, then 2nd last year and 3rd this year with 57 TD's.  

Just one stat category I looked up - fwiw

No play calling is just a non-starter for me. Kubes Jr just struggled so much, I'd want a body of work to refer to.

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
No play calling is just a non-starter for me. Kubes Jr just struggled so much, I'd want a body of work to refer to.
Agree,

I'm still not sure Bienamy is calling plays under Reid, is he?
I am liking Leftwich but Arians just gave him the reigns this year, I think.  He is going to be a very hot candidate in another year or two - IMO.  If I remember correctly, even back when he first came out of college he was known to be very sharp and he has a really cool calm demeanor and former QB will go a long way.  Anyway, I think too soon for him.
McDaniel only 1 year as OC is waaay too soon for me as well and he doesn't have the former player chops to make up for that like Moore
Daboll seems to fit the mold with 4 years as OC, grooming a rookie into a star, better results year over year and various other positions and experience.  But I know nothing about him other than wiki (or any of these guys) and hve no clue if he would be a fit.