Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is the Vikings run D so bad this year?
I wonder how many of those gashes are up the middle vs outside?  Or in other words are we really missing DH and EG vs the run?

I would have thought the LB's would have been superlative this year with 650 lbs of beef in front of them? 

I suspect Tomlinson may be the liability up front/in the middle vs Pierce?

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I wonder how many of those gashes are up the middle vs outside?  Or in other words are we really missing DH and EG vs the run?

I would have thought the LB's would have been superlative this year with 650 lbs of beef in front of them? 

I suspect Tomlinson may be the liability up front/in the middle vs Pierce?
This is a pretty good article that I agree with. Bottom line: It's not the DTs as much as gap discipline, freelancing and young edge defenders who don't play the run as well as rush the passer. 

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota-...se-issues/

Tomlinson and Pierce are just not it. You can't say it's injuries because they are inevitable. Last couple of games there were so many guys not set like they didn't know what they were doing. I was wondering what was going on. I know it has been said that Zimmer's defense is complicated and it takes time to learn, which also takes time to be successful. But at this point, times up. It's time to move on.

Good post @MB!!

This is a good summary:

To summarize, the problem isn’t the beefy interior the Vikings so carefully crafted. That has worked as intended. The problem is their simultaneous negligence of the edge of the defensive line. It’s a problem I highlighted back when they could do something about it. Edge was their biggest need in the 2021 draft, and they didn’t address it until pick 90 (Patrick Jones), long after the big names were gone.
Hunter returned but didn’t stay healthy. Griffen was not a responsible answer to the problem. Even though he worked out, relying on the 34-year-old to return to starting form was as irresponsible as depending on Wonnum to progress to starting form. It made matters worse to lose Griffen to mental health complications, but the on-field process is worth critiquing anyways. The Vikings simply failed to build depth. That’s not news to anyone.
And so a team relying on young, inexperienced players must now show discipline in their RPO reads against the 12-3 Green Bay Packers. Aaron Jones missed the last game, but he won’t miss this one. With the Vikings’ lives on the line, can their young players step up and prevent a beating on the ground?