Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kubiak tidbits
Look out for the Jefferson Jackpot replacement for the Randy Ratio.

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
He’s an abysmal play caller. Dink and dunk, all while you have one of the best downfield passers in the league. It’s just stupid. 
There are multiple routes at varying depths on pretty much every play, the defense, our online, and Cousins are largely ro blame for the lack of a vertical attack.  Most pass plays will have at least one route designed to hit over top of the safeties.  Kubiak play calling is certainly questionable,   but the lack of depth of how a play is executed is rarely one of them IMO.

I think this is what Zimmer was eluding to in his comments about Cousins needing ro be reminded to take some shots,  far to often imo Cousins reads some pressure presnap,  gets a primary read off of it and if thats not there he hits his check down right away,   because of the time it takes for most deep routes to develop they would rarely be a primary read unless teams were playing single coverage with the safeties rolled up to LB depth in run support,  or something else that suggested that the qb would have a little extra time,   and the corners wouldn't have much deep help.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Havoc1649 said:
He’s an abysmal play caller. Dink and dunk, all while you have one of the best downfield passers in the league. It’s just stupid. 
There are multiple routes at varying depths on pretty much every play, the defense, our online, and Cousins are largely ro blame for the lack of a vertical attack.  Most pass plays will have at least one route designed to hit over top of the safeties.  Kubiak play calling is certainly questionable,   but the lack of depth of how a play is executed is rarely one of them IMO.

I think this is what Zimmer was eluding to in his comments about Cousins needing ro be reminded to take some shots,  far to often imo Cousins reads some pressure presnap,  gets a primary read off of it and if thats not there he hits his check down right away,   because of the time it takes for most deep routes to develop they would rarely be a primary read unless teams were playing single coverage with the safeties rolled up to LB depth in run support,  or something else that suggested that the qb would have a little extra time,   and the corners wouldn't have much deep help.

I have my problems with Kubiak. He seems to lack a feel for the rhythm of play calling. 

But you're right. There are typically a variety of routes at a variety of depths. More often than not the check down comes when Cousins is pressured right away. And that's too often. 

There was a good example of maybe what Zimmer was talking about in the Charger game. Up 27-20, 3 minutes left, 3rd and 6 from our 30. If we don't convert, the Chargers get the ball back with 3 minutes left and all three timeouts. We know what happens in those situations. We lose. 

Instead, Chargers rush three, SEVEN defenders are bunched at the sticks guarding Thielen, Conklin and Osborn running short routes, while Jefferson runs deep down the right sideline. He was covered well, but in man, that's one JJ will win most of the time. And you just have to trust him. 

i actually think Kubes is a solid offensive mind with upside. My gut tells me Zim has held the O back