Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Football talk: Ravens
I have written off this season in terms of wins/losses.  I just want to see a high draft pick, a new coaching staff and have the young players develop.  So, in a way, this game was a success.  I no longer get upset at the boneheaded defensive and offensive calls.  But here are my thoughts.
  • Accountability:  This team has not had any accountability for a long time.  I think the last example of accountability (other than kickers) was the firing of John DeFilippo in December '18.  The best example, of course, is Dakota.  It will be interesting to see whether Bradbury gets back on the field -- I am guessing that Spielman will want him back as his job is on the line.
  • Young Players.  At this point I love seeing the younger players getting onto the field.  3 of the biggest plays of the day were turned in by rookies, Cam and Kene.  As for Cam, here is a write up from DailyNorseman: "Best player out there on defense. PFF 90.0 is best on the team and I thought it was clear he was playing extremely well. 2nd on the team with 12 total tackles and also had a nice interception and return. The return was huge because the offense would’ve come up with nothing otherwise. Bynum was in on 6 runs stops within 4 yards of the LOS. Solid against the run is what the team needed in Harry’s absence."  Now, it will be interesting to see how he holds up in the next game with the Chargers having an opportunity to game plan for him.  As for Kene, I only wished he had tried to run back a couple more kicks.  Darrisaw looked solid all game.  Watts and Willekes played solid games.  I really liked Watts hustle on one play where he caught up to the runner well down the field and clobbered him.  Watts is making himself some money this year.
  • Surprises: Blake Brandel coming in for 5 snaps instead of Wyatt Davis.  Harrison Hand only getting one snap.
  • Frustration:  I think the most frustrating thing about the coaching is that they are unable to predict the other teams adjustments and make adjustments to the adjustments.  The Ravens adjusted their defense to take away what was successful and the Vikings never figured out how the Raven's adjustment would open up new opportunities for the offense.  The Vikings only have two successful offenses -- the week of planning scripted plays and the hair on fire offense.
  • Bar made a play:  I was thinking throughout the game that Barr seemed invisible and then he reminded me what an incredible athletic talent he is.  

They're  not experienced enough (or talented enough) @ Coordinator to be great game time adjusters.

I would bet 1-2 more wins with a Schurmur @ OC. That was a huge staffing decision blunder by Zimm.

I'm done with Barr - great play yesterday, but he's invisible too often

I can't believe RS is involved in anything as micro as Bradbury starting or not

Totally in agreement; this year is no longer about w/l, but rather playing spoiler and watching younger players develop. Oh and draft position. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
They're  not experienced enough (or talented enough) @ Coordinator to be great game time adjusters.

I would bet 1-2 more wins with a Schurmur @ OC. That was a huge staffing decision blunder by Zimm.

Totally in agreement; this year is no longer about w/l, but rather playing spoiler and watching younger players develop. Oh and draft position. 
I think you and I are at the acceptance stage of grief.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@purplefaithful said:

You two ain’t alone Bros… Wink 

This article captures some of my thoughts:

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota-...until-now/

Quote: @Kentis said:
@VikingOracle said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'm still in the denial stage---"If I just love and support them alittle more I won't be emotionally battered---SIGH  deep down I know they're good at heart."

Quote: @Akvike said:
@Kentis said:
@VikingOracle said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'm still in the denial stage---"If I just love and support them alittle more I won't be emotionally battered---SIGH  deep down I know they're good at heart."
Ain't that the truth.  I may finally be moving beyond that stage, but it still rings true.