Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gameball to O-line
Mattison was a bull at Boise State, but he is not the quick muscle-twitch athlete RB that Cook is.  This speaks volumes to the OC mixing up the plays so that someone of Mattison's skillset could mix it up rushing and on the passing end.  I may have given Mattison short-shrift, but I think the OL made a big difference today.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Mattyman said:
Mattison.
I've said it a few times...there is no damn reason he doesn't see about 25% of cooks workload.  It's pretty easy to see when cook starts to wear down and then he gets dinged up.  The offense has shown once again it can operate quite well with Mattison on the field

Cook does hit a point where he starts to wear down and make mistakes like the fumble against Cincy. They really should be working Mattison in more throughout the game, so that Cook can finish games.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Skodin said:
OLI was huge today.  Glad to see him progress already with his size and strength.  The right side should be locked down for a very long time.  I can't imagine how I would feel about the future if Darrisaw was actually out there playing LT.  

I am still concerned long term about Bradburry, especially against monster tackles.  Ultimately I hope Davis takes his spot and we avoid over paying a meh guy because he was a 1st rounder.

Kirk played well today, but many QB's would have played well today behind today's OL.  

Next week is a big test for the OL, but I believe they will be up for the challenge (like in Arizona)
As good as Brownies DL looked today? Their OL might be even better! 

Our DE's sure flash, but I wish our DT's looked more stout than they have to-date. I expected more. 
The DTs are definitely better than last year, but they definitely have not been as good as I hoped they would be. Teams are gashing them up the middle, which is odd when they are essentially running with two NTs in Pierce and Tomlinson. Pierce has displayed some better pass rush ability than anticipated and Tomlinson has sort of been invisible so far. Richardson has been kind of quiet so far, but there was a play towards the end of the game where he got quick pressure up the middle and forced an incompletion. I'm hoping that they just need some time to gel.

As for the ends, Hunter has been great so far. Griffen has been a nice rotational pass rusher and I think his penalty today was BS. Wonnum and Weather have done a nice job rotating in. I also thought that the ends played a much more disciplined game today and did a really good job of containing Wilson, though there are also some times where they are susceptible to getting beat on wide runs.

I do think that Barr being out has hurt the run defense. He does a good job, especially chasing down plays to the outside and while Vigil is solid, he doesn't have the same range as a healthy Barr. Not sure what Barr's timeline is, but hopefully we get him back sooner rather than later.

Quote: @Tyr said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Skodin said:
OLI was huge today.  Glad to see him progress already with his size and strength.  The right side should be locked down for a very long time.  I can't imagine how I would feel about the future if Darrisaw was actually out there playing LT.  

I am still concerned long term about Bradburry, especially against monster tackles.  Ultimately I hope Davis takes his spot and we avoid over paying a meh guy because he was a 1st rounder.

Kirk played well today, but many QB's would have played well today behind today's OL.  

Next week is a big test for the OL, but I believe they will be up for the challenge (like in Arizona)
As good as Brownies DL looked today? Their OL might be even better! 

Our DE's sure flash, but I wish our DT's looked more stout than they have to-date. I expected more. 
The DTs are definitely better than last year, but they definitely have not been as good as I hoped they would be. Teams are gashing them up the middle, which is odd when they are essentially running with two NTs in Pierce and Tomlinson. Pierce has displayed some better pass rush ability than anticipated and Tomlinson has sort of been invisible so far. Richardson has been kind of quiet so far, but there was a play towards the end of the game where he got quick pressure up the middle and forced an incompletion. I'm hoping that they just need some time to gel.

As for the ends, Hunter has been great so far. Griffen has been a nice rotational pass rusher and I think his penalty today was BS. Wonnum and Weather have done a nice job rotating in. I also thought that the ends played a much more disciplined game today and did a really good job of containing Wilson, though there are also some times where they are susceptible to getting beat on wide runs.

I do think that Barr being out has hurt the run defense. He does a good job, especially chasing down plays to the outside and while Vigil is solid, he doesn't have the same range as a healthy Barr. Not sure what Barr's timeline is, but hopefully we get him back sooner rather than later.
I dont know that I would say Griffs penalty was BS, maybe ticky tack but you know when you face a premier QB they are going to get those calls and Griff is a vet and should have known that.  He had time to let off the first hit and then continuing on and giving him the little extra at the end was just typical dumb undisciplined shit from Griff. I would hope that he would learn to use his head eventually but its not looking promising at this stage of his career. 

OL looked good. Those three IOLs (Bradbury, Cleveland and Udoh) were particularly impressive, especially on the screens. Cleveland looks like a future pro bowler. 

But to give the game ball to anyone but Cousins is criminal.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
More on the OL...

https://twitter.com/QbFilm/status/144248...15106?s=20
The beauty of this.  Open targets all over the field.  

Herndon is getting an easy first, if not a TD.  Jets would get a TD if Kirk checked down to him.

Great play design and great play call for the moment.

I guess not having Dennison in there is a good thing.