Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confirmed (vs surprised)

Kellen Mond won't play in Vikings preseason openerThe rookie quarterback returned on Tuesday from a 10-day stint on the COVID-19 reserve list and coach Mike Zimmer said Mond looked rusty.

In Kellen Mond's first practice back from a 10-day stint on the COVID-19 reserve list, the rookie quarterback looked "rusty," coach Mike Zimmer said. And Mond's first appearance in a preseason game, it appears, will have to wait.
Zimmer said the third-round pick won't play in the Vikings' preseason opener against the Broncos on Saturday, indicating Mond's work in two days of joint practices against Denver would be his only time facing another team this week. Mond, who tested positive for COVID-19 on July 31, took part in virtual meetings during his time away, but his lack of on-field work showed up in a Tuesday practice the Vikings converted to a walk-through.
"It's 10 days out. He's catching up," Zimmer said. "He was good with all the things. He was a little slow with his reads, I thought. We had the 2-minute drill, and he was kind of, and I know it was just kind of a walk-through thing, but he needs to speed up the tempo a little bit."
The Vikings are likely to play without both of their top two picks on Saturday night; first-rounder Christian Darrisaw hasn't practiced following pre-draft surgery on a groin injury and the offensive tackle "probably out" on Saturday, Zimmer said, while Mond will wait at least a week to make his preseason debut.
His absence means the Vikings would have four quarterbacks available to them on Saturday: Kirk Cousins, Jake Browning, Nate Stanley and Danny Etling, who joined the team last week.
Zimmer would not say how much the Vikings' starters will play on Saturday, though Cousins — who played nine snaps in both of his preseason openers with the Vikings, going 4-for-4 with a TD pass in each games — said he wanted to play as much as the coaches will let him.
https://www.startribune.com/kellen-mond-...600086962/

I can confirm that I am not surprised by this.

Mond had a gift to come in here and be an injury away from being the starting QB, but he showed that he is not a very smart guy or leader by putting himself ahead of the team.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the IR with some kind of made up injury and basically redshirt him.  

Quote: @"JR44" said:
Mond had a gift to come in here and be an injury away from being the starting QB, but he showed that he is not a very smart guy or leader by putting himself ahead of the team.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the IR with some kind of made up injury and basically redshirt him.  
I'm sure you know the guy personally and can truthfully claim he is not a very smart guy instead of just making shit up.  So why single out Mond and not mention Cousins for putting himself ahead of the team?

I hope Etling gets to play.  Throw him a bone, he deserves it.

Quote: @"Greylock" said:
@"JR44" said:
I'm sure you know the guy personally and can truthfully claim he is not a very smart guy instead of just making shit up.  So why single out Mond and not mention Cousins for putting himself ahead of the team?
Okay Francis, relax!  First of all I do not need to know him personally to know that going into your first NFL camp with a legit chance to be the backup and not being vaccinated, makes you a not very bright person, in fact, I would call it completely ignorant.  Secondly, if you have read any of my posts before jumping to conclusions, I have blasted Cousins as well as Thielen and Smith.  

Cousins and Mond are locks to make the team and Mond is really a pick for the future, more than an immediate need.  I would guess at some point they're going to have to give a lot of time to figure out the 3rd QB spot.  They had Stanley in the 3rd spot, but probably want to see Browning overtake him because he's vaccinated and it reduces the risk for the QB room.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
Cousins and Mond are locks to make the team and Mond is really a pick for the future, more than an immediate need.  I would guess at some point they're going to have to give a lot of time to figure out the 3rd QB spot.  They had Stanley in the 3rd spot, but probably want to see Browning overtake him because he's vaccinated and it reduces the risk for the QB room.
I don't think there's much doubt that his year it will be #1 Cousins, #2 Browning and #3 Mond: they'll keep 3 QBs. Maybe Stanley goes on the practice squad, but more likely he'll be released. Browning and Mond will fight it out for #2 next year and if Mond doesn't win it, you'll know everything you need to know about him at that point. Its also possible the Vikings select a QB in round 2 or 3 next year if they feel Mond is iffy. 

Honestly, its very early and premature to know much yet other than opinion and speculation. 

Reports for the last year or so is the team was high on Browning,   I think the fact that they let their vet backup go was more of a testament to how they felt about Browning than what they thought they might have in Mond.  I dont think Mond was ever a serious candidate to start the season at QB 2 as much as he was a good value to build that QB2 spot for next year and possibly QB1 in his third or 4th season.