Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is this guy called 'Danny Dimes'? Is it sarcastic?
[Image: JoneDa05_2020.jpg]Daniel JonesDaniel Jones  (Danny Dimes)
Position: QB Throws: Right
6-5, 221lb (196cm, 100kg) 
TeamNew York Giants
Born: May 27, 1997 (Age: 24-056d) in Charlotte, NC
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSQBrecCmpAttCmp%YdsTDTD%IntInt%1DLngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateQBRSkYdsNY/AANY/ASk%4QCGWDAV
201922NYGQB813123-9-028445961.93027245.2122.6140756.66.510.7232.887.755.7382955.505.387.6129
202023NYGQB814145-9-028044862.52943112.5102.2148536.66.110.5210.280.461.5452865.394.929.1009
Career27268-18-056490762.25970353.9222.4288756.66.310.6221.184.1835815.445.158.41218

I think it's a reference to his pot dealing days.

Not sure where the nickname comes from.

Jones is another interesting QB entering year 3 after being selected 6th by the Giants 2019 draft.  Murray is the only QB drafted that year that has lived up to the billing in terms of being a potential franchise QB.  Murray showed good progression from year 1 to year 2 and was drafted by an already talented roster so he has a lot to prove this year as well.  

Jones is similar (not the same) to the other NY QB who is entering year 4,  Josh Allen.  I have never seen a bigger improvement of QB play from year 2 to year 3 then what I saw last year with Josh Allen....amazing!
Jones and Allen's stats for their first two years are not that different.  Both are 6'5 guys that can move in the pocket and run.  Both have big arms of course.  Of course, we all see Josh Allen as a much better prospect because he has shown it on the field and under pressure.  But entering last year Allen looked a lot like Jones to me.  He was not accurate with the deep ball, ran so much I wondered if he could read a defense, and other young QB growing pains.

The Bills did an amazing job as a whole organization to surround J Allen with everything he needs and WOW did he step up!  

Back to Jones....I am not saying he is going to be Josh Allen at all but they have similar traits.  The Giants (to me) still don't look like they have remotely fixed their OL and Jones was pressured constantly.  They get Barkley back but overall I don't see the big jump coming from Jones.  Question for the Giants brass (similar to the other year 3 QB- Lock in Denver) is will he show the ability, with better surround sound talent Smile, to stick him going into year 4.  I think their is a chance of that.  I don't think Lock will show enough in Denver for them not to move on.  Just my year 3 thoughts on the 2019 drafted QB's - Murray, Jones and Lock.  Haskins is a mess so no comment Smile

Perhaps the trademark was a bit premature. I remember a friend who is a Giants fan slowly convince himself on draft night that this was a fantastic pick.

Giants' Daniel Jones files trademark for 'Danny Dimes'Dan Benton 
November 15, 2019 9:00 am ET
New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones is taking a page out of Tom Brady’s book and getting ahead of what might be a cash cow for him.
Josh Gerben, a trademark lawyer and founder of the Gerben Law Firm, said Jones has filed a trademark for “Danny Dimes” via a Delaware LLC for which he’s the listed owner. The company has the home address of his parents.
Jones’ agents at CAA have confirmed the trademark filing.
The nickname “Danny Dimes” was given to Jones just prior to his first career game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in which he went 23-of-36 for 336 yards and two touchdowns (rushing for two more scores) in a thrilling come-from-behind victory.
“Yeah, I’ve heard it a little bit more recently,” Jones told ESPN a day after his NFL debut. “I don’t know. It’s all right, I guess. There could be worse nicknames.”
Two other trademark applications have reportedly been filed by individuals unassociated with Jones or the Giants. They were filed on Sept. 17, before Jones had even started a game, reports ESPN.
One of them, John Messina of Pennsylvania, is believed to be the originator of the “Danny Dimes” nickname, but expects his trademark request to be denied, adding that he’d give it to Jones even had it been approved.
“I stuck with it. It seemed to roll off the tongue. It’s a good one,” Messina said in late September. “It’s funny that it stuck. It’s pretty cool [to be the originator]. It’s definitely giving me some pride. It’s pretty inconsequential, but I’m glad Daniel likes it. It’s good fun for everybody.”
The Giants have also adopted the nickname many didn’t believe would stick, so “Danny Dimes” it is.

Sticky, I think it was related to his accurate deep ball.  If have to look it up, but I think I read recently that he led the league in deep throw completion percentage?  I'm not 100% sure on that...  but regardless, even if he's a good down field thrower, he's a turnover machine and struggles with accuracy in other parts of the field. 

This is a big season for him.  If he doesn't make a monumental jump, the Giants are going to be in the QB market again...  maybe we could trade them Cousins after this year?  I kid, Maroon, I kid.  

Quote: @"Nichelle" said:
Perhaps the trademark was a bit premature. I remember a friend who is a Giants fan slowly convince himself on draft night that this was a fantastic pick.

Giants' Daniel Jones files trademark for 'Danny Dimes'Dan Benton 
November 15, 2019 9:00 am ET
New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones is taking a page out of Tom Brady’s book and getting ahead of what might be a cash cow for him.
Josh Gerben, a trademark lawyer and founder of the Gerben Law Firm, said Jones has filed a trademark for “Danny Dimes” via a Delaware LLC for which he’s the listed owner. The company has the home address of his parents.
Jones’ agents at CAA have confirmed the trademark filing.
The nickname “Danny Dimes” was given to Jones just prior to his first career game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in which he went 23-of-36 for 336 yards and two touchdowns (rushing for two more scores) in a thrilling come-from-behind victory.
“Yeah, I’ve heard it a little bit more recently,” Jones told ESPN a day after his NFL debut. “I don’t know. It’s all right, I guess. There could be worse nicknames.”
Two other trademark applications have reportedly been filed by individuals unassociated with Jones or the Giants. They were filed on Sept. 17, before Jones had even started a game, reports ESPN.
One of them, John Messina of Pennsylvania, is believed to be the originator of the “Danny Dimes” nickname, but expects his trademark request to be denied, adding that he’d give it to Jones even had it been approved.
“I stuck with it. It seemed to roll off the tongue. It’s a good one,” Messina said in late September. “It’s funny that it stuck. It’s pretty cool [to be the originator]. It’s definitely giving me some pride. It’s pretty inconsequential, but I’m glad Daniel likes it. It’s good fun for everybody.”
The Giants have also adopted the nickname many didn’t believe would stick, so “Danny Dimes” it is.

Denial isn't just a river.

or it could mean his overall play is only expected to give back ten cents on the dollar for your return.