Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OG - Will Hernandez (2018 draft pick Giants)
Not a lot of Viking news so I found this interesting:

I would say the vast majority of posters wanted us to go with Hernandez with our first pick in 2018.  He was available and we decided to pass.

OG Will Hernandez: The Good, the Great and the Ugly (msn.com)

Fast forward to 2020, which wasn’t a great year for Hernandez. After contracting COVID-19, he missed two games, but then after recovering, he found himself benched midway through the season for rookie fifth-round pick Shane Lemieux.
Whether COVID was a factor in his benching remains a mystery that neither Hernandez nor head coach Joe Judge want to clear up. Still, it's certainly fair to wonder how much Hernandez might have been affected by the virus after he recovered.
That said, before the illness, Hernandez was a frustrating player who would flash high-quality blocks in numerous situations (ACE, DEUCE, Inside Zone, anchoring down, and even while pulling). Yet, it was far from consistent, and miscommunications, along with ostensible lethargy that led to poor positioning and disadvantageous situations, seemed to be evident.
The Giants offensive line is young and inexperienced. Hernandez is the longest-tenured presumed starting offensive linemen with Nick Gates at center (second year at the position, but was undrafted in 2018), Shane Lemieux at the opposite guard spot (presumed left guard in second season), Andrew Thomas at left tackle, and Matt Peart on the right side (provided that Nate Solder does not start).

Hernandez was a questionable fit for our offense back then, but you're right: if you polled Viking fans that year, he would've been the pick by a landslide.

I checked in on him a couple years ago and the results were not great. They're even worse now. The word "bust" is frequently used. Still, it's early, his 2020 season was marred by Covid, his rookie season wasn't terrible, and he has what might be the worst surround in football. He can definitely pull out of his tailspin.