Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Willy Wonka Turns 50

Good heavens, where does time go?

‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory’ at 50: The tender yet terrifying movie that never lost its flavor
The movie was positively received by critics upon release — in his 1971 review, Roger Ebert called it “probably the best film of its sort since ‘The Wizard of Oz’ ” — but failed to become popular until years of holiday screenings on network television made it a staple and repressed nightmare for many.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ente...niversary/

[Image: willie-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-g...jpg?w=1000]

[Image: tenor.gif]

Wonka's a beautiful movie. Every time I watch it, I'm 10 years old again. And the music, especially Pure Imagination, is terrific as well. 

In fact, my top 5 movies of all time hasn't changed in years, and Willy's still there. 

1. Henry V (Branagh's version)
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Barton Fink
4. Willy Wonka (original)
5. tie Saving Private Ryan / All the President's Men

A recent movie, Spotlight, is making a serious run for the top 5 though. 

My wife and I recently rented this and watched with our grandkids ages 7 and 5 - they absolutely loved it (like we thought they would).  It's a true classic that will get passed down from generation to generation.

Gene Wilder is outstanding. Its an excellent movie and the music is good as well. The scene where he returns the everlasting gobstopper and Wilder quotes Shakespeare is one my top 5 moments in movies I've ever watched. Touching.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Wonka's a beautiful movie. Every time I watch it, I'm 10 years old again. And the music, especially Pure Imagination, is terrific as well. 

In fact, my top 5 movies of all time hasn't changed in years, and Willy's still there. 

3. Barton Fink

Love that movie.

I don't have a top 5, but if I did, the Lord of the Rings trilogy would be in it.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

3. Barton Fink

Oooo....That's a good topic right there to pass some of July by.

Hard to pick a top 5, not in any order
LOTR (Trilogy)
Godfather (1&2)
Saving Private Ryan 
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Pulp Fiction

Other Strong Considerations:
Schindlers List
Willy Wonka 
Life is Beautiful (1997)
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Young Frankenstein

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:

3. Barton Fink

Oooo....That's a good topic right there to pass some of July by.

Hard to pick a top 5, not in any order
LOTR (Trilogy)
Godfather (1&2)
Saving Private Ryan 
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Pulp Fiction

Other Strong Considerations:
Schindlers List
Willy Wonka 
Life is Beautiful (1997)
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Young Frankenstein

Maybe I'll sit down and actually watch LOTR. Never saw it. Just not a fan of that genre, but I thought that about Game of Thrones too and I liked that, so who knows.

I keep wanting to show Life is Beautiful to my kids. Saw it in the theater with my Jewish girlfriend when it first game out. I remember neither one of us could speak on the ride home. 

I have a friend who hates Steven Spielberg. He's a snob and prefers indie movies and hates everything that is mainstream or popular. I told him to watch Schindler's List. He changed his mind. John Williams score with Itzhak Perlman's violin is just sublime. 

LOTR trilogy is very special, Jackson's masterpiece is near perfection. Hell, it is perfection. I'm envious you still get to see it for the first time. 

Jackson's telling at the end of the trilogy is as beautiful as it gets. Definite sit-down with the kids if they haven't seen it yet either - if they're not toddlers. 

Speaking of toddlers, I sobbed like one @ the end of Schindlers List.

We had just had our kid b4 we sat down to Life is Beautiful. That one hit me right in the heart: 

Academy Awards:
Best Actor
Best Director
Best Original Screenplay
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Music/Dramatic Score
Best Film Editing
Best Picture

Boy, Gladiator was awfully good too. Bottom line is I cannot have a top 5 I guess...