Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good breakdown of Wyatt Davis
Yes, Wyatt Davis Can Play GuardRick Spielman was not shy about how excited he was to trade down in the first round of the draft and select Christian Darrisaw. The Minnesota Vikings picked up two third-round picks from that trade: One became quarterback Kellen Mond, and another became Wyatt Davis. The Vikings double-dipped on bulky offensive line help and threw a dart at the QB board in one fell swoop. The trade is widely regarded as one of the best of the draft, but what about the picks themselves?
Darrisaw is antithetical to the typical Vikings’ style of offensive lineman. That’s probably a good thing considering the results of that philosophy. Mond could replace Kirk Cousins if a lot of things go right. That leaves Wyatt Davis, who played right guard exclusively for Ohio State. Davis, like Darrisaw, has a ton of power but not much movement. Like Darrisaw, Davis didn’t participate in athletic testing at his pro day thanks to an injury.
The knee injury affected things down the stretch for Davis, but he still turned in extremely good play. Much of that good play is thanks to his ox-like strength. His tape (Davis is RG #52 in all of these) is littered with strength-based wins. It can be very exciting to watch him overpower victim after victim and think that the Vikings got him in the third round.
https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...83489?s=20

SNIP - More clips and Davis analysis at the link
https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota-...lay-guard/

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Yes, Wyatt Davis Can Play GuardRick Spielman was not shy about how excited he was to trade down in the first round of the draft and select Christian Darrisaw. The Minnesota Vikings picked up two third-round picks from that trade: One became quarterback Kellen Mond, and another became Wyatt Davis. The Vikings double-dipped on bulky offensive line help and threw a dart at the QB board in one fell swoop. The trade is widely regarded as one of the best of the draft, but what about the picks themselves?
Darrisaw is antithetical to the typical Vikings’ style of offensive lineman. That’s probably a good thing considering the results of that philosophy. Mond could replace Kirk Cousins if a lot of things go right. That leaves Wyatt Davis, who played right guard exclusively for Ohio State. Davis, like Darrisaw, has a ton of power but not much movement. Like Darrisaw, Davis didn’t participate in athletic testing at his pro day thanks to an injury.
The knee injury affected things down the stretch for Davis, but he still turned in extremely good play. Much of that good play is thanks to his ox-like strength. His tape (Davis is RG #52 in all of these) is littered with strength-based wins. It can be very exciting to watch him overpower victim after victim and think that the Vikings got him in the third round.

Isn't it refreshing to actually have a Guard who has some Power in his game? I'm tired of the finesse players we typically draft on the OLine and glad Zimmer finally pounded the desk to get some bigger athletes who can also move. I'm still mad that we passed on Will Hernandez and took Mike Hughes even before the oft injured CB was traded away for last year's Halloween Candy. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Isn't it refreshing to actually have a Guard who has some Power in his game? I'm tired of the finesse players we typically draft on the OLine and glad Zimmer finally pounded the desk to get some bigger athletes who can also move. I'm still mad that we passed on Will Hernandez and took Mike Hughes even before the oft injured CB was traded away for last year's Halloween Candy. 
Well, you'll be happy to hear that Will Hernandez has largely been a bust in NYC.

This is part of the reason I think we need to at least tap the brakes a little on Davis. Hernandez was taken at the top of round 2. Davis near the bottom of round 3. We should temper our immediate expectations a bit. But damned if the future at all 5 positions don't look very very bright. 

I too am relieved to see we're putting athleticism a notch lower than power in our OL criteria. 

@"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Well, you'll be happy to hear that Will Hernandez has largely been a bust in NYC.

This is part of the reason I think we need to at least tap the brakes a little on Davis. Hernandez was taken at the top of round 2. Davis near the bottom of round 3. We should temper our immediate expectations a bit. But damned if the future at all 5 positions don't look very very bright. 

I too am relieved to see we're putting athleticism a notch lower than power in our OL criteria. 
He also had Covid last year and was replaced by a 5th round rookie. He was never given a chance to start again after he came back. That OLine coach for the Giants is gone and I fully expect him to have a bounce back year and regain his starting job. 

I don't want to say Davis is the perfect RG, but Davis is the perfect RG.

@"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I reluctantly agree. Davis I think was a little overhyped by the draft media and that trickled down to the fans. All the reasons he slipped were all well known by NFL GMs....and yet he STILL slipped. But he still is an Ohio State offensive lineman which means he's one of the most talented kids in the nation to even be recruited by the Buckeyes. We'll see.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I reluctantly agree. Davis I think was a little overhyped by the draft media and that trickled down to the fans. All the reasons he slipped were all well known by NFL GMs....and yet he STILL slipped. But he still is an Ohio State offensive lineman which means he's one of the most talented kids in the nation to even be recruited by the Buckeyes. We'll see.
Moving Cleveland to the left side where he is more comfortable, and inserting Davis at his natural RG position should allow us to see what we actually have in Bradbury. No more excuses for him. Dozier was terrible and made that entire line below average. Looking forward to the Athleticism with Darrisaw and Cleveland with our Wide Zone Scheme when they get out and run on the edges.