Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read on Rashawn...
Slater is the guy I want most in this draft.  I'm hoping he falls far enough that we can jump the chargers and go get him if we need to.  If Darrisaw goes earlier, that would be a great boon for us.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

22 years old? This kid is a baby. 
How's he supposed to hold-up against men like Hunter in practice? Let alone Hicks, Clark, Z'Darius and Mack? 
Being 22 is a positive not a negative. 
I'm too old to remember... Wink

Seriously though....How is a kid that young supposed to compete with guys in their mid-late 20's/early 30's with grown men power?? and years in NFL training?

It's kinda crazy! 

How was Justin Jefferson able to burn pro bowl corners and get 1400 receiving yards? How was Adrian Peterson able to run for 1,300 yards as a rookie? How was Cam Dantzler able to be one of the best rookie corners despite weighing 170 pounds? 

If you're concerned about young players then why do the Vikes ever draft anyone? 
big difference between athleticism and strength in youth and adults.   at 22 or so they are likely as athletic as they will ever be ( agility, speed, quickness, jumping ability,  hand eye,   but they are no where near as strong or as technically sound as they will be when they are in their mid to late 20s.   That 5 years is huge for OL an DL development IMO.  All those positions you mentioned rely on their athleticism first,  which is why those positions have shorter careers typically.   OL play much longer and often take longer to develop to a top pro level because their game relies more on raw strength and technique than it does pure athleticism.
Sure, but Tristan Wirfs had a good rookie year, Quentin Nelson did when he was a rookie too. Many OL have good rookie years so I dont see a point in being hesitant on playing a 22 year old...never know.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

How's he supposed to hold-up against men like Hunter in practice? Let alone Hicks, Clark, Z'Darius and Mack? 

Seriously though....How is a kid that young supposed to compete with guys in their mid-late 20's/early 30's with grown men power?? and years in NFL training?

It's kinda crazy! 

How was Justin Jefferson able to burn pro bowl corners and get 1400 receiving yards? How was Adrian Peterson able to run for 1,300 yards as a rookie? How was Cam Dantzler able to be one of the best rookie corners despite weighing 170 pounds? 

If you're concerned about young players then why do the Vikes ever draft anyone? 
big difference between athleticism and strength in youth and adults.   at 22 or so they are likely as athletic as they will ever be ( agility, speed, quickness, jumping ability,  hand eye,   but they are no where near as strong or as technically sound as they will be when they are in their mid to late 20s.   That 5 years is huge for OL an DL development IMO.  All those positions you mentioned rely on their athleticism first,  which is why those positions have shorter careers typically.   OL play much longer and often take longer to develop to a top pro level because their game relies more on raw strength and technique than it does pure athleticism.
Sure, but Tristan Wirfs had a good rookie year, Quentin Nelson did when he was a rookie too. Many OL have good rookie years so I dont see a point in being hesitant on playing a 22 year old...never know.
some do sure,  some are more aged when the come into the league in terms of body maturity,  not saying Slater isnt,  but he sure has a  baby face to him and doesnt really look like he has hit his muscular maturity.   Look at Bradbury,   he hasnt played up to where we hope he will be yet,  but you stick with him regardless.   I think all PF was saying is that its almost unfair to expect a kid that looks so young like Slater to step in and handle Kalil Mack.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

It's kinda crazy! 

some do sure,  some are more aged when the come into the league in terms of body maturity,  not saying Slater isnt,  but he sure has a  baby face to him and doesnt really look like he has hit his muscular maturity.   Look at Bradbury,   he hasnt played up to where we hope he will be yet,  but you stick with him regardless.   I think all PF was saying is that its almost unfair to expect a kid that looks so young like Slater to step in and handle Kalil Mack.
I understand what was being implied, I'm not one who cares how someone looks. Slater was a beast and handled Chase Young, who had a really good rookie season too. Dont judge a book by its cover, judge it by its body of work.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

It's kinda crazy! 

Lighten up, it's all good!

Look, the needle is another story and I got my own concerns about him ever holding-up in this league for a full season and with that body and that position. 

Rashawn looks like a kid right now, not an NFL player.
[Image: DzLDBbzVAAArHFX.jpg]

I remember Big K coming into the league and really struggling his first years, especially against the Preacher.

Doesnt mean I dont wish him well or that we dont draft him.  

The real question is He further along and got a higher upside than the current slotted person in that position---if so "make it so"

Doing some polling of folks who have scouted Slater first-hand, the majority view him as a guard 1st with the potential to play OT. That doesn't prevent him from going in the top 5-12 picks but if you are an OT needy team you may lean towards Sewell or Darrisaw.