Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Mock Draft to Pass the Time
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
If we trade down and get Darrisaw I’d be thrilled. I think it’s more likely that we stay put and draft him at 14, but we’ll see.

Would be a huge fan of this draft overall. OL is the biggest need by far, then DL. I also really hope you’re right about the Vikings getting serious about drafting a QB. Even as a backup it’s worth a shot at maybe catching lightning in a bottle. This franchise is due for that kind of luck!
OL is the biggest need, but if the argument is which provides the biggest impact, I think it's more debatable between OL and DE. Then I think it comes down to which of those positions they like more in round 3. Because that could be a factor in where they go in round 1. 

As much as I want the tackle, a defensive line of Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson and (1st round DE) is damned tempting. I think there's a couple of guys who work in Eagan who might agree. Trade for OBJ and maybe we can have our cake and eat it too. 
The piece that never came out in the media last year is that when the Vikings were approaching #22 they were probably going to take K'Lavon Chaisson instead of Jefferson and then either trade up a few spots from #25 or sit there to grab who was left between Jefferson and Aiyuk. 

Reason I bring it up is that they've continued to try and find a pass rusher opposite of Hunter and are willing to spend quite a bit to do so. So I wouldn't sleep on DE being their first pick at all. 

Seems to me they had that guy on the roster, then traded him...
Ngokoue was kind of a bust. He is a good pass rusher but he's a one-trick pony who is a poor run defender. I think the Vikings thought they could coach that out of him but it just wasn't the case. They made a good swing but taking the 3rd round pick was ultimately the right choice. If the Vikings had kept him and let him walk in FA they wouldn't have gotten a comp pick based on their other signings. So they deserve to be slapped on the wrists for not fully understanding what they were getting, but viewing it as a sunk cost and moving on was the right end result. 
On Yannick, wasn’t it pretty well known around the league that he was a really good pash rusher, but poor against the run?   His tape and PFF grades supported/proved that.   
Did they really believe they could coach that out of him, and if so is the couple months he was a Viking really long enough to successfully do that?   I have to think that the 1-5 start, and the potential unknown cost of resigning him in the off-season with a declining cap were also factors in the trade decision.    

I find it hard to fathom that Kyle Trask is a better prospect than either of the existing two QBs collecting splinters on the Practice Squad (both of whom I think are better than Mannion).