Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So is that pretty much it for now?
No more roster or cap evolution till draft? 

Vikings only have 3.3M in cap space according to spotrac.

They are still carrying Rudolph's 9.45M until June 1st  when they will get 8M.

The last player in the top 51 is making 780K.

Any veteran they sign who has 4 to 6 years of service will get a minimum of 910K
Any veteran with more than 6 years will get a minimum of 1.05K

There is rumor they were interested in and have spoken to Will Parks who is a safety.
He made 1.5M last year.

If they can get him for the 910K then it will only cost them about 130K in cap space.
I think it will take more.

Same with Forrest Lamp for example.

But will these players take the minimum?

And, if they want to trade for Orlando Brown Jr they need to take on his 3.4M salary.
A Smith extension could handle that move though.

I think it is safe to say that they are waiting on players to get desperate enough to take the minimum and may be waiting on the trade too.

I think they need to extend Smith with a 4 yr 33M deal which mirrors what Michael Jenkins got last year at age 32 (4 yr 32M).

They'll likely add a safety and an offensive lineman before the draft. But in the 3rd tier of free agency, there's no urgency. Vikings probably want to see how much money the Harry extension saves before jumping back in.

They may also still be considering the Brown trade. And/or small trades involving low end guards and safeties. 

I have to believe that there's behind-the-scenes maneuvering to appease Hunter, and that will take some heroic cap work.

Quote: @"Zanary" said:
I have to believe that there's behind-the-scenes maneuvering to appease Hunter, and that will take some heroic cap work.
I don't think extending Hunter is about the cap. They'll just put his money into '23 and '24. It's about the injury. Do we give him pots of money before seeing him play?

And does he even still want a long term deal? With the TV money adding jillions of dollars to the cap, many veteran players are now choosing short term deals so they can hit the market when the cap explodes. 

I heard one possible scenario where Vikings and Hunter restructure the deal into a one or two-year "prove-it" deal with voidable years, which would reduce his '21 cap hit, put him among the top edge salaries, allow him to hit the market again when the cash rolls in, and protect the Vikings against a long-term investment in a player with a neck injury. 

So I counted 35/101 of nfl network's best free agents available.  So its interesting now that FA period looks like its really slowed down with 1/3 of the good ones left.  There's going to be some very frustrated Fa's that didn't get what they thought they were worth.