Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Anywhere but here...

Dangerous windchills in Twin Cities area, Duluth sets recordEnd of cold stretch nears but not until final frigid kick.
The Twin Cities area is in the midst of its deepest plunge during an unrelenting cold snap, with bitter windchills tightening their grip throughout much of Sunday, forecasters say.

As of 6 a.m. Sunday, the temperature at the National Weather Service (NWS) in Chanhassen touched 20 below zero. That still leaves standing the all-time record for a Valentine's Day of 26 below last set in 1972, according to the agency.
Afternoon temperatures in the metro were expected to climb no higher than the negative single digits, he added, followed by a night of similarly numbing cold. How about an anticipated low of minus-23 as Sunday gives way to Monday?
In Duluth, the record low for Feb. 14 was pushed even lower this morning. The new standard is now 26 below zero, according to the NWS. The previous record of minus-24 was set several times and most recently in 1970.
Twin Cities area temperatures should be back above zero on Tuesday, with a high of 5 in the forecast. Looking ahead to the next weekend, there's a high in the mid-20s on the forecast board.
If the current trend holds, NWS meteorologist Nick Carletta said the 10-day period from Feb. 6 to Feb. 15 will be the fifth-coldest in the metro area for the month of February.
On Saturday, the temperature in Ely dropped to 50 below, potentially a state record low for the day, according to the National Weather Service in Duluth.

I live about 20 miles NW of Mpls...

-21 air temp in the backyard this am...

What does (Pandemic + Arctic Cold Cabin Fever) =?

[Image: shining.jpg]

I just won't ever go back to that kind of environment. I was born and raised in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, one of the few places that gets colder than Minnesota. Lived in Wisconsin and Kansas City. Now in south Florida. Its NO COMPARISON. I just got back from eating and drinking while sitting outside at a restaurant and its 81 degrees. We were at the beach yesterday for 3 hours. My daughter in law to be was swimming in the pool. I've been here 7 years now. LOVE IT. 

Just absolutely no way. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I just won't ever go back to that kind of environment. I was born and raised in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, one of the few places that gets colder than Minnesota. Lived in Wisconsin and Kansas City. Now in south Florida. Its NO COMPARISON. I just got back from eating and drinking while sitting outside at a restaurant and its 81 degrees. My daughter in law to be was swimming in the pool. I've been here 7 years now. LOVE IT. 

Just absolutely no way. 

We've thought about relocating quite a bit and grandkids would change a lot of our thinking if we get em. Our jobs kept us here all these years, and family.

Plan now is to snowbird as we like change of seasons, just not quite there yet. All that said, we haven't ruled out moving further west one day, we have friends in Colorado and that would fit us well. More temperate winters for sure. 

It's a cold few days. All things considered, winter hasn't been that bad. Texas with the ice storm and the huge pile up. Bizarre weather all over the place. 

https://twitter.com/FOX4/status/13610227...04674?s=19

-30 here this morning,  so I thought to myself cookout!  Grilled up burgers for lunch.  Embrace it gents,  makes it much easier to get through.  -25 Friday morning so I went ice fishing,  -22 yesterday.. spent half the day yesterday fixing a frozen cattle waterer,   but when I got that done I went for a 4 wheeler ride.  Its going to be a miserable 95 and humid before we know it.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
-30 here this morning,  so I thought to myself cookout!  Grilled up burgers for lunch.  Embrace it gents,  makes it much easier to get through.  -25 Friday morning so I went ice fishing,  -22 yesterday.. spent half the day yesterday fixing a frozen cattle waterer,   but when I got that done I went for a 4 wheeler ride.  Its going to be a miserable 95 and humid before we know it.
That's why we live in a great big world: different strokes for different folks. And if you like living in places like this, your attitude is perfect. Make the best of it. 

I think I've found my sweet spot in Charlotte. All four seasons, none too extreme. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I think I've found my sweet spot in Charlotte. All four seasons, none too extreme. 
does this apply for asheville as well?  Curious to feedback about it, only visited once so far but loved it

Quote: @Skodin said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
does this apply for asheville as well?  Curious to feedback about it, only visited once so far but loved it
Definitely.