Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be Sure To Tune In To The Roofclaim.com Boca Raton Bowl Tonight
Gotta keep throwing poop on the wall till it sticks...IF you dont try you'll never get it right. 

IMO it all depends on whether or not they have strong conviction about someone or not. I like to think they didnt when it came to Ponder, but who knows. That was what? #12 overall? 

I'm also not convinced Zimmer returns after this year - just a gut feeling. That could alter things quite a bit. 

Imo there are lots of good QBs coming out every year,  but the situation has to be just right for them to become the mahomes, Wilson, etc.  I dont think its a matter of identifying that diamond in the rough or that can't miss guy,  because he might be can't miss for one team and situation and a complete train wreck in the next town.  

I think that's why Spielman has done a better job drafting with Zimmer is because Zim does a better job than chilly or Frazier  making him understand what they need from a position and how to identify that in the prospects. 

I guess none of them know shit about DT or OGs,  and very little about QBs,  but they got most other postions dialed in.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Gotta keep throwing poop on the wall till it sticks...IF you dont try you'll never get it right. 

IMO it all depends on whether or not they have strong conviction about someone or not. I like to think they didnt when it came to Ponder, but who knows. That was what? #12 overall? 

I'm also not convinced Zimmer returns after this year - just a gut feeling. That could alter things quite a bit. 
I don't agree with that philosophy. You keep throwing poop on the wall, sometimes your house just smells like shit. :-)

Seriously, because the Bills drafted JP Losman and followed that up with EJ Manuel pretty much put them in the shitter for 20 years. Did they get it right with Josh Allen? Looks good. Does it mean they'll go any farther than we did with Cousins? Keenum? Probably not.

Same with the Browns. How much poop did they throw on the wall? Couch, Quinn, Weeden, Johnny Football....all first rounders. Did they get some shit to stick with Mayfield? Perhaps so. But does it mean they'll go any farther than the Vikings did with Cousins? Keenum? Probably not. 

I know everyone's got visions of Mahomes dancing in their head, but reality is that guys like that are incredibly rare. You're far more likely to miss than you are to hit. Even with a 1st rounder, 

No, you're right: you won't ever get one if you don't ever draft one. But the thing is...we've already got a top third QB. Maybe just finish the line. It's not like we don't have numbers that suggest what might happen with better protection. You know who the best QB in the NFL was last year from a clean pocket (clean being the operative word)? The man who would not swear. Captain GOLLY himself.

I'm just worried we dump Cousins and draft the next....Haskins, Rosen, Trubisky, Kizer, Wentz, Lynch, Winston, Mariota...etc., etc...setting the org back 6-8 years. Or 60 like the Lions. You should see their list of QBs going back to Greg Landry. And Stafford was a hit! Didn't do 'em any good. 

It's tough MB...Your points are solid.

Do they double down on the KC investment and draft an OL early? Who could argue that with a straight face?

Not hard to connect the dots on how a good 3t could help the offense too - but that may need to be a FA acquisition based on what the drafniks are saying about the strengths of this draft. 

I really believe KC is the best QB they've had since Bert. Posted that umpteen times...He certainly has his moments that make you wonder though. 

OTOH, this also seems to be a pretty good QB crop too. Hopefully much better than Ponder, Gabbert etc. 

How convicted will they be or not on a kid? I guess it doesnt have to be 1st round either does it? Maybe we can have our cake and eat it too. 

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
To me he is a similar player and prospect to Baker Mayfield. I'd be surprised to see him slip out of the top 15 picks
Sam Howell from UNC actually reminds me a lot of Baker. Similar size, look, and arm strength
I'll have to check out more on Howell I have only caught some passing glimpses.

I did find this revealing intel on wiki for him:

Personal life[edit]Howell is the son of Duke and Amy Howell.[14] Howell is a Christian.[15]
Good thing he's not a Sikh I guess. They make terrible QBs. What with the turban and all. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
It's tough MB...Your points are solid.

Do they double down on the KC investment and draft an OL early? Who could argue that with a straight face?

Not hard to connect the dots on how a good 3t could help the offense too - but that may need to be a FA acquisition based on what the drafniks are saying about the strengths of this draft. 

I really believe KC is the best QB they've had since Bert. Posted that umpteen times...He certainly has his moments that make you wonder though. 

OTOH, this also seems to be a pretty good QB crop too. Hopefully much better than Ponder, Gabbert etc. 

How convicted will they be or not on a kid? I guess it doesnt have to be 1st round either does it? Maybe we can have our cake and eat it too. 
That's the thing. If they love a guy, maybe go get a guy. I just don't want to see them taking the "next guy on the list," which is what Ponder seemed like to me. In fact, now that I think about it, Treadwell was that kind of pick, too. If you just take the "next guy on the list" it almost always ends badly. Even in fantasy I’ve noticed. Trust your instincts and your information, identify who you like and go get him. 
And you're right, doesn't have to be a 1st rounder. In fact, if you look at the top 10ish QBs in the NFL, unless you include Goff, Murray or Stafford in that (and I wouldn't), not a single one of them--NOT ONE--was the first QB taken in his draft. And a good half of them were taken after the 1st round. 
To the Vikings' credit, they're getting better at drafting. Not sure if that's Spielman, Jamaal Stephenson, Zimmer…or just the fact that this group has been together so long, they've developed a real feel for what they’re doing. 
Whatever it is, they seem to be able to dial in those analytics tighter than most teams. And so I kinda trust them to pick a QB now, but it has to be a guy they're after for a data-based reason. Not the next guy on some consensus list. 
Draft a QB, don't draft a QB. I'm undecided. And Cousins, dammit. He's such a good, accurate QB when he has time....and he's sometimes a real bonehead. Thankfully, he’s good more than he’s bad.
And there's always this in the back of my head....When I moved to Denver in the 90s, John Elway had a sea of haters. The media, the fans, talk radio. "He'll never win the big one." Nobody remembers this, but I sure do. Because Viking fans were saying the same thing about Denny Green at the time. Good coach, never win the big one. 
That's the thing about winning the big one. They can't until they do and then no one remembers they couldn't. 

I remember the Elway hate and doubting...

Be nice if KC (and me) could have the same story book ending. He's certainly not a diva or Richard that I can tell.