Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins under pressure
Quote: @"Kentis" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"Kentis" said:
He just keeps on tap, tapping the ball all too often, when he should either get rid of it, bail, or move around within the pocket... he needs to speed up his internal clock it seems.
But this far into his career, what is the likelihood of that happening?
Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
@"Kentis" said:
He just keeps on tap, tapping the ball all too often, when he should either get rid of it, bail, or move around within the pocket... he needs to speed up his internal clock it seems.
But this far into his career, what is the likelihood of that happening?
Wow!  Does he hold the ball too long sometimes?  Sure, maybe but i have also heard plenty of people complaining about checkdowns for years.  The common denominator is this horseshit offensive line.  Bradbury was getting blown 4 or 5 yards back right into the QB.  It’s fucking horrible and especially on passing downs, they can provide about zero protection. Sure, he has flaws but Cousins takes a beating all season long.  
Look, I think we’re well aware of our OL deficiencies, especially on the interior,
but Cousins should be too. He’s in his tenth year, I know he’s tough & accurate et al,
but he can’t expect to stand in there w/ no pressure for 2.5 or more seconds. Certainly there are way too many plays where he has no chance at all, & that’s on the team builders, including the GM & the coaches. Repeatedly thinking our OL will be good enough, year after year, feels like Groundhog Day for Vikings fans... 

The biggest problem is that it's the interior of our line that's worst, and our QB's biggest strength is his long ball.  In order for him to have time to utilize his best strength, we need at least average performance from the worst part of our line.  I feel like I'm getting Ponder-era deja-vu, here, but why aren't there more quick slants and the like?  Back then, we had to resort to endless bubble screens because of our terrible line and Ponder's average arm...but Cousins has proven he can be lethal if given even an average amount of time.

That's not an unreasonable expectation from an o-line, but we've come up short for most of the last decade.

I kinda remain in Cousins' corner because he's brought real results that embarrass most of our QBs in team history...but can't play defense/special teams.  Yes, his start to the season was awful and he's nothing like "perfect"...but I don't see Rodgers, Brees, Brady, etc putting up their better numbers with crap at the OG position.  Look at the number of pressures, and compare...Cousins deals with 3-5 times more, all the time.

Fixing both lines has to be the offseason priority...as well as potential coaching changes, because Zimmer isn't getting better with age.

Trevor Lawrence would be destroyed behind this line. Patrick Mahomes would be destroyed with this line, Russell Wilson would get destroyed behind this line. Fix this line, and then evaluate Cousins. Right now, Cousins looks like he's kept us in games we've had no business being in, given our atrocious defense.