Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100% on board with this...
Obama: Criminal justice reformers ‘lost a big audience’ with defund the police rhetoricThe former president is the latest prominent Democratic leader to express disapproval of the politically divisive phrase.“The key is deciding, do you want to actually get something done, or do you want to feel good among the people you already agree with?” he added. “And if you want to get something done in a democracy, in a country as big and diverse as ours, then you’ve got to be able to meet people where they are. And play a game of addition and not subtraction.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/02...ice-442141

This rhetoric may have started with the little old Mpls City Council and proliferated from there. A tinderbox of emotion of course with what's happened here in MN over time and culminated with the murder of G.Floyd. 

IMO this language cost the Dems heavily, it's not productive, it speaks to only part of a solve and it divisive.

Sure protection of our citizens and states must evolve, but let's do it and speak about it more intelligently than this. 

Got into a big dust-up with my millennial kid on this topic. We don't agree to say the least. 

Dumbest shit they ever did. This is what scared a big portion of the Trump base and frankly, I don't blame them to an extent. But the media of course put the most extreme liberals on the news, yelling 'Fuck the police! Defund them and burn it doooowwn!!'. Ridiculousness and it was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. And it wasn't even wanted by 95% of Democrats, even the more liberal ones. I'm convinced this is the main reason Trump even got the amount of votes he did get, the manic fear of defunding the police nation-wide. The ads in Florida from Trump 'quoted' Biden as saying he wanted to defund the police, which he never said. 

James Clyburn says he and John Lewis feared “defund the police” would undermine Black Lives Matter movement
Though a Democrat has won the presidency, House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn warned his party is being destroyed by the “defund the police” movement that arose over the summer.
“'Defund the police' is killing our party, and we’ve got to stop it,” the South Carolina kingmaker said in an interview with CBSN Monday. It was a topic he said he and the late civil rights leader and Congressman John Lewis discussed.
“John Lewis and I were very concerned when these slogans came out about ‘defund the police,’” he said. “We sat together on the House floor and talked about how that slogan... could undermine the BLM movement, just as ‘burn, baby, burn’ destroyed our movement back in the ’60s.”
“John would never yell, 'burn, baby, burn;” John would never say, ‘defund the police,’ as progressive as he was, and I’m just as progressive as anybody else," Clyburn said. He went on to say that “we just lost Joe Cunningham,” a South Carolina Democratic House member who lost his reelection bid against Republican Nancy Mace. “And we lost him over ‘defund the police.’”
“Burn, baby, burn” was a slogan that emerged during the 1965 Watts riots, chanted by Black people who set cars and buildings on fire. Clyburn said that John Lewis was removed as head of the civil rights group they had founded, the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, by “burn, baby, burn” proponents.
He said they didn’t want to see the same thing happen to Black Lives Matter, and he criticized the term “defund the police” for its lack of clarity.
“When I talked to my friends about this, and they say, ‘that’s not really what we mean,’ and I say, 'Well, in this business, you’ve gotta say what you mean, and you gotta mean what you say, and if you have to explain what you mean, you are losing the argument.”
https://www.wbtv.com/2020/11/09/james-cl...-movement/

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Dumbest shit they ever did. This is what scared a big portion of the Trump base and frankly, I don't blame them to an extent. But the media of course put the most extreme liberals on the news, yelling 'Fuck the police! Defund them and burn it doooowwn!!'. Ridiculousness and it was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. And it wasn't even wanted by 95% of Democrats, even the more liberal ones. I'm convinced this is the main reason Trump even got the amount of votes he did get, the manic fear of defunding the police nation-wide. The ads in Florida from Trump 'quoted' Biden as saying he wanted to defund the police, which he never said. 

[Image: nixon-law-and-order.jpeg]

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Isn't that what the media does though?  They show the radical extremes of any group in an attempt to convince those of opposing beliefs that the people they are showing depict what the opposition are all about?  

What fucking saddens me is that it works.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Isn't that what the media does though?  They show the radical extremes of any group in an attempt to convince those of opposing beliefs that the people they are showing depict what the opposition are all about?  

What fucking saddens me is that it works.
Always has. The bottom line is the general population is easy to scare and manipulate. The media drives fear, which drives consumption with lines their pockets with advertising dollars via ratings. National and local news has bias, one way or the other. But that doesn't mean its equal, either. Critical thought is key, teach your kids to have it or they'll be manipulated.