Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else think we might have seen the last of Barr?
It is difficult to imagine another team trading for Barr now because they would have to pay the remainder of his 2020 salary (9 weeks at $625,000 per week which is $5,625,000).

At the end of the season, if the Vikings trade him with a pre June 1st designation they would take a $7,800,000 mil dead money cap hit but would save $7,700,000 in cap space.
If he is traded with a post June 1st designation they would take a $5,200,000 mil dead money cap hit but would save $12,900,000 in cap space. 
They would also have a $2,600,000 dead money cap hit in 2022.

Who would trade for him though?  Who will have the cap space to absorb $12,900,000 in 2021, $13,000,000 in 2022, and $15,500,000 in 2023?

The Jets will have about 80M in cap space next year based on the 175M cap floor number.  They wanted Barr in 2019 and have 4 linebackers that will be free agents too.

I wonder if they soured on Quinnen Williams enough and would trade him for Barr?

If not they could still trade for Barr.

Troy Dye has about half a season to tell us if he's going to be the starter. He was once a projected first round pick and I guarantee he's better at coverage than Barr. My vote is to move on from Barr, but Zim and Spielman are always loyal to their Day 1 guys so who knows. Financially it definitely makes sense

Quote:
 When's the last time both linebackers had an interception in the same game?

Wilson seems like the linebacker version of ant Harris.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I'm not sure about the cap ramifications, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's played his last game as a Viking. Especially if Zimmer is gone after this season...

When a player under contract is injured, the team has a few options, partly depending on whether the player is vested (four years on an NFL roster):
  1. Designate the player as injured reserve. Vested veterans can be put directly on injured reserve. The player will continue to receive his weekly game checks (i.e., his base salary) for the remainder of the season. The team is responsible for his medical treatment. The team can sign another player, but must remain under the salary cap in doing so. Players designated as injured reserve can sometimes be returned to the squad in the same season, but often this is a season-ending designation. The player accrues a season toward becoming an vested veteran.
  2. Designate the player as waived/injured. This applies in the preseason to any un-vested player, and is an option for any player during the regular season. If a player is not going to be designated to the injured reserve list, the team will make the player an injury settlement offer. Typically this is some lump sum payment that would reflect all or a portion of any base salary and expected/unpaid bonus money, as well as the cost of medical treatment and rehabilitation for the injury.
    1. If the player accepts the settlement offer, they immediately become an unrestricted free agent and can be signed by any team in the next 24 hours.
    2. If the player accepts the settlement offer, and is not signed within the 24-hour waiver period, then he can be retained by the team, and moved to injured reserve.
    3. If the player rejects the settlement offer, things get awkward. The player essentially becomes designated as injured/reserve, receives pay and medical care accordingly, but has essentially burnt his bridge with the team, and probably can expect to be cut or traded at the earliest opportunity. They have already signaled their intent to move on from the player, so it’s pretty hard as a player to impose yourself on the team like that and then expect to be welcomed back with open arms. They probably felt it was necessary to waive the player in order to be able to sign a replacement player, so forcing them to retain the player on injured/reserve might be harming their chances to remain competitive
Trading him will be nearly impossible and he cannot be cut until he is healthy

Zimmer's pets don't get cut or traded, they stay and get overpaid for under performance.